Neuk_

Expert Member
How does it work?

A simple temperature probe on the end of a wire, that sits in the enclosure where our batteries are stored, and is connected to the inverter. The inverter/control unit will monitor the temperature and if it detects the batteries are getting too hot during charge or discharge, will take appropriate action. I have also set up alerts if the battery temperature is over a certain set point but it is so hot during the day at the moment the batteries are almost always over the set point.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Interesting, I thought that heat would have a much more severe effect :unsure:
Probably meant more for cold conditions than hot I would say.

Also this:
Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 13.39.43.png
Would explain the stories of DOA batteries that were probably sitting in a hot warehouse somewhere.

Neuk_

Expert Member
Probably meant more for cold conditions than hot I would say.

Also this:
View attachment 996792
Would explain the stories of DOA batteries that were probably sitting in a hot warehouse somewhere.

Interesting, I know LA batteries do not like cold, and generally start showing signs of failure when winter hits but thought that heat wasn't good either but the graph you posted shows otherwise. I see heat has a worse effect on self discharge though, where cold temperatures are favoured.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Interesting, I know LA batteries do not like cold, and generally start showing signs of failure when winter hits but thought that heat wasn't good either but the graph you posted shows otherwise. I see heat has a worse effect on self discharge though, where cold temperatures are favoured.
IMHO, Heat is bad for longevity and cold is bad for capacity. So, a charger could overcharge a cold battery using 25 celcius default settings or slightly undercharge when warm.

Tander

Executive Member
A simple temperature probe on the end of a wire, that sits in the enclosure where our batteries are stored, and is connected to the inverter. The inverter/control unit will monitor the temperature and if it detects the batteries are getting too hot during charge or discharge, will take appropriate action. I have also set up alerts if the battery temperature is over a certain set point but it is so hot during the day at the moment the batteries are almost always over the set point.

Interesting.

My batteries monitor their own temp and manage it accordingly. All thanks to the built in BMS they have.

Neuk_

Expert Member
Interesting.

My batteries monitor their own temp and manage it accordingly. All thanks to the built in BMS they have.

Yep, this is for LA batteries, which generally don't come with any BMS but from what I hear Victron has some of the best battery management software in it's inverters.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Would I be ok going for the 200AH kit and sticking them in a storage container? (more just for to keep the wiring safe and out the way)
I realise there would need to be some airflow, so my question is would I be able to hook up some PC fans directly to 2 of the bridged batteries in order to power them?
Forgot about this option (thanks @greg_SA):
12V 200Ah Mecer Lithium

Less cycles tho, and can't parallel.

greg_SA

Expert Member
12V 200Ah Mecer Lithium

Yep, mine is purely for a load shedding 12V 1kVA Axpert (lights, PC, TV, networking, etc).

Segg

Expert Member
12V 200Ah Mecer Lithium

I wonder why they can't be connected in parallel? Too high of a current draw?

I guess one can't add 2x 48v banks together under one inverter then...

wingnut771

Honorary Master
I wonder why they can't be connected in parallel? Too high of a current draw?

I guess one can't add 2x 48v banks together under one inverter then...
Doesn't look like. I don't know, something to do with the BMS, can't balance each other I think. Wish they would say why when they tell you something. That's why I prefer those DIY packs, you can make any size you want.

Tander

Executive Member
So my 3rd Pylontech US3000 arrived this morning. Going to add it to the bank this evening - this will allow me to collect more energy during the day that I am currently "wasting"

The test is to see if I am able to produce enough PV to charge 10.5kwh of battery storage though....

wingnut771

Honorary Master
So my 3rd Pylontech US3000 arrived this morning. Going to add it to the bank this evening - this will allow me to collect more energy during the day that I am currently "wasting"

The test is to see if I am able to produce enough PV to charge 10.5kwh of battery storage though....
Remember to balance them.

Last edited: