wingnut771

Honorary Master
So my 3rd Pylontech US3000 arrived this morning. Going to add it to the bank this evening - this will allow me to collect more energy during the day that I am currently "wasting"

The test is to see if I am able to produce enough PV to charge 10.5kwh of battery storage though....
How much PV have you got?

Speedster

Honorary Master
So my 3rd Pylontech US3000 arrived this morning. Going to add it to the bank this evening - this will allow me to collect more energy during the day that I am currently "wasting"

The test is to see if I am able to produce enough PV to charge 10.5kwh of battery storage though....
Do you "empty" your current bank overnight? If not you only need to produce enough to recharge the used capacity.

Neuk_

Expert Member

I was going to ask, it is a concern of mine when we switch to LFP, we only have 3.6kWp of PV generation but luckily don't have any real heavy loads so I am hoping it will be enough for a good few kWh.

Tander

Executive Member

Thanks for that, used that video last time when I got the 2nd Pylontech

A very good day, I can produce around 25kwh - best day so far is 28Kwh

Do you "empty" your current bank overnight? If not you only need to produce enough to recharge the used capacity.

I drain them to 20% SoC overnight, yes.

Currently the 2 Pylontechs are charged before 1pm on a good day. So I think I have enough left to charge that 3rd one. Will update tomorrow evening

Tander

Executive Member
I was going to ask, it is a concern of mine when we switch to LFP, we only have 3.6kWp of PV generation but luckily don't have any real heavy loads so I am hoping it will be enough for a good few kWh.

You have to take it into account for sure. I am 99% sure I will have enough. Like a say, best day was 28Kwh produced. I doubt I would be able to charge 4 batteries. We will see. But 3 I am sure is possible.

Neuk_

Expert Member
You have to take it into account for sure. I am 99% sure I will have enough. Like a say, best day was 28Kwh produced. I doubt I would be able to charge 4 batteries. We will see. But 3 I am sure is possible.

What is your total PV generation capacity in kWp? The issue I have at the moment is that we have 3.6kWp but no high draw appliances like an electric geyser or pool pump or AC units connected through the inverter so the PV runs a fridge, freezer, deep freeze, alarm, CCTv, electric fence, work laptop, a fan and a few small draw appliances constantly with the washing machine, dishwasher and microwave sporadically. So our max PV production has been a little over 11kWh which isn't a lot but our average daily use is only 15kWh so we don't have a lot to actually draw from PV constantly at the moment with the batteries fully charged by 10:00 - 11:00 depending on how much we use in the early hours of the morning. I am hoping that we have enough excess to charge at least two US3000's during the day which will be double the battery capacity we have now.

Tander

Executive Member
What is your total PV generation capacity in kWp? The issue I have at the moment is that we have 3.6kWp but no high draw appliances like an electric geyser or pool pump or AC units connected through the inverter so the PV runs a fridge, freezer, deep freeze, alarm, CCTv, electric fence, work laptop, a fan and a few small draw appliances constantly with the washing machine, dishwasher and microwave sporadically. So our max PV production has been a little over 11kWh which isn't a lot but our average daily use is only 15kWh so we don't have a lot to actually draw from PV constantly at the moment with the batteries fully charged by 10:00 - 11:00 depending on how much we use in the early hours of the morning. I am hoping that we have enough excess to charge at least two US3000's during the day which will be double the battery capacity we have now.

3.6kWp is not bad at all. Mine is 4.5kWp on a very good day. Most says, it will stay at 4kWp from around 10:30am or so till around 2pm - then it drops to 3.3kWp

You should have plenty to charge two US3000's if your kWp is 3.6. I'd say, depending on loads, they would be charged by 11am or so.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Remember, LFP charges much quicker than LA.

signates

Executive Member

I have found the online pv calculators pretty accurate.

Basically you need to determine the average sun hours and multiply it by your array size to get the average potential pv.

My average sun hours in December was 6.07 hours per day with the highest at 7 hours. January is looking the same as December.

3.6kwp at 6 hours per day gives you a potential production of 21.6kwh of which you are only generating 11kwh due to your current loads during generation hours being low. Your system could probably accommodate up to 3 x 3.5kw pylontech batteries to make use of the lost pv production.

Neuk_

Expert Member
3.6kWp is not bad at all. Mine is 4.5kWp on a very good day. Most says, it will stay at 4kWp from around 10:30am or so till around 2pm - then it drops to 3.3kWp

You should have plenty to charge two US3000's if your kWp is 3.6. I'd say, depending on loads, they would be charged by 11am or so.

I have seen ours peak at 3.8kWp, from 10 360w panels, which was a pleasant surprise and means that with good weather we can generate good kW to run the house and charge batteries.

Tander

Executive Member
I have seen ours peak at 3.8kWp, from 10 360w panels, which was a pleasant surprise and means that with good weather we can generate good kW to run the house and charge batteries.

Plenty of power available. A lot currently going to waste on your current system. Roughly, 45%. or so. You could get around 22kwh out of it on a good day.

So far, I have produced 10kwh today.

wingnut771

Honorary Master

Basically you need to determine the average sun hours and multiply it by your array size to get the average potential pv.

My average sun hours in December was 6.07 hours per day with the highest at 7 hours. January is looking the same as December.

3.6kwp at 6 hours per day gives you a potential production of 21.6kwh of which you are only generating 11kwh due to your current loads during generation hours being low. Your system could probably accommodate up to 3 x 3.5kw pylontech batteries to make use of the lost pv production.
Doesn't one have to calculate for the winter months?

Tander

Executive Member

Definitely. Sun is in a different position in the sky. I actually think my system will preform better in winter; due to the angel fo the panels - sun is lower and thus should "hit" the panels directly.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Definitely. Sun is in a different position in the sky. I actually think my system will preform better in winter; due to the angel fo the panels - sun is lower and thus should "hit" the panels directly.
but the days are shorter.

crysis

Expert Member
I was previously using 2 x 12V 100 Ah Ritar AGM batteries.
Now using 1 x 12V 200Ah Mecer Lithium. Really happy so far, but only about a year old.
Were you happy with the Ritars? I can get them locally.

Neuk_

Expert Member

I'll take a look at the online calculators, I hope they have the capability to take East/West splits in to account., which will reduce the effective average sun hours.

greg_SA

Expert Member
Were you happy with the Ritars? I can get them locally.
Yes, they were great. Lasted 5 years. I used 2 in parallel.
For a similar price, I could get the 200Ah Mecer Lithium battery, which can handle a much larger DOD, so the effective capacity is much higher.

crysis

Expert Member
Yes, they were great. Lasted 5 years. I used 2 in parallel.
For a similar price, I could get the 200Ah Mecer Lithium battery, which can handle a much larger DOD, so the effective capacity is much higher.
I will be running a 24V system so don't think I can go the Lithium route at this point without it costing significatly more.

signates

Executive Member
I'll take a look at the online calculators, I hope they have the capability to take East/West splits in to account., which will reduce the effective average sun hours.
I think you will need to do one array at a time as they only take one direction into account.

signates

Executive Member
The online calculators should give the average for all months of the year. My winter sun hours will be about 3 hours per day which should give me 25kWh. I do want to increase my array size before winter though as I need at least 35kwh per day in winter.