johnjm

Expert Member
Do you have a DIY you followed to integrate your Victron controller in to HA?

Modbus is a standard protocol IiRC, I’m planning to connect my epever onto my WiFi as well and fiddle around with online dashboards and eventually home assistant too hopefully. IFTT etc

Inevitability

Expert Member
I have the same ones, they are good batteries. 6 years old but they need replacement as I did over discharge I suppose a few times.

But don’t buy from them. Takealot have the same ones for R2500.
Thanks for replying!
I checked the takealot one now ... that's the RA12-100 and the Mantech one is DC12-100
Which one do you have? ... Can't see from the pic.
Had to check the datasheets and they show one big difference ... the RA claims around 400 cycles at 50% DoD and the DC claims >650 cycles.
I also asked Geewiz to give me options for 100Ah with >500 cycles at 50% DoD and under R2500

johnjm

Expert Member
Thanks for replying!
I checked the takealot one now ... that's the RA12-100 and the Mantech one is DC12-100
Had to check the datasheets and they show one big difference ... the RA claims around 400 cycles at 50% DoD and the DC claims >650 cycles.
I also asked Geewiz to give me options for 100Ah with >500 cycles at 50% DoD and under R2500

Ah I see what you mean. Decide if that extra cycle count is worth it for you. Note that there are a lot of variables in the standard design life though.

Personally, I’d save the money and get it from takealot.

missionimpossible

I'm looking for an inverter to run my fridge + alarm system+ internet (router + fibre line) + 2 to 3 plugs that will supply lamps and have been quoted R35 000 for the below:

1 x SKVA Inverter
4 x 10S / 105 A/Hour Batteries
Battery Cabinet
Earth Leakage + main Breaker
Trunking and consumables

Has anyone recently fitted an inverter?
If so, what sort of price range did you pay?
Please share your supplier details with me if you can?

Also, please indicate what was the overall quality of fitment and after sales experience?

thanks in advance

crysis

Expert Member
Thanks for replying!
Speak to current automation, they bring these batteries into the country and have much better prices.

Neuk_

Expert Member
Modbus is a standard protocol IiRC, I’m planning to connect my epever onto my WiFi as well and fiddle around with online dashboards and eventually home assistant too hopefully. IFTT etc

Yeah, I found a few How To's last night during a quick search which mentioned Modbus, so I'll take a proper look in to it.

Neuk_

Expert Member
I'm looking for an inverter to run my fridge + alarm system+ internet (router + fibre line) + 2 to 3 plugs that will supply lamps and have been quoted R35 000 for the below:

1 x SKVA Inverter
Battery Cabinet
Trunking and consumables

Also, please indicate what was the overall quality of fitment and after sales experience?

thanks in advance

We fitted our inverter and batteries in early 2020, we bought the inverter and batteries for around R29k (Victron 3kVa 48v Multiplus Inverter/Charger and four OmniPower 12V 120Ah OPR Deep Cycle Rechargeable AGM / GEL Hybrid VRLA Batteries) and then paid around R15k for installation excluding the battery cabinet which we supplied. It was connected in to our main house DB and included splitting the DB so that the oven, main bedroom AC and two sets of kitchen plugs are not run through the inverter.

johnjm

Expert Member

1 x SKVA Inverter
Battery Cabinet
Trunking and consumables

thanks in advance

Is there no breakdown on the quote? I never accept a quote if I don’t have a breakdown.

If I do some rough calcs on that with some assumptions, the labour is probably 10k to 12k which is on the high side personallly. But if their work is excellent and neat then best you make the call on that.

Inevitability

Expert Member
Ah I see what you mean. Decide if that extra cycle count is worth it for you. Note that there are a lot of variables in the standard design life though.

Personally, I’d save the money and get it from takealot.
Ya, I was wondering about how accurate those datasheets are compared to real life. Thanks so much for your replies. Really appreciate it.

Speak to current automation, they bring these batteries into the country and have much better prices.
Will definitely do that ... Shot!

missionimpossible

Is there no breakdown on the quote? I never accept a quote if I don’t have a breakdown.

If I do some rough calcs on that with some assumptions, the labour is probably 10k to 12k which is on the high side personallly. But if their work is excellent and neat then best you make the call on that.
this is the breakdown of the costs -

1 x SKVA Inverter - R16 000
4 x 105 A/Hour Batteries - R12 000
Battery Cabinet - R2000
Earth Leakage + main Breaker - R1500
Trunking and consumables - R500
Labour - R3000

TheChamp

Honorary Master

1 x SKVA Inverter
Battery Cabinet
Trunking and consumables

thanks in advance
In which general area are you, it will help if people want to give recommendations on installers.

Coming to your quote, don't waste your time and money with lead acids, if you are prepared to spend that much then spend a little extra and go lithium. You can even get away with a smaller inverter to finance the lithium battery, you don't need a 5kW for a fridge, lights a d some electronics.

A 3kW, 48V inverter and a 3.5kWh Pylontech can be had for R26k, you can have it all installed for under R40k.

Here's a Dyness and Pylontech kit as an example.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
this is the breakdown of the costs -

1 x SKVA Inverter - R16 000
4 x 105 A/Hour Batteries - R12 000
Battery Cabinet - R2000
Earth Leakage + main Breaker - R1500
Trunking and consumables - R500
Labour - R3000
It's a 5kVA inverter, was it a handwritten quote?

missionimpossible

In which general area are you, it will help if people want to give recommendations on installers.

Coming to your quote, don't waste your time and money with lead acids, if you are prepared to spend that much then spend a little extra and go lithium. You can even get away with a smaller inverter to finance the lithium battery, you don't need a 5kW for a fridge, lights a d some electronics.

A 3kW, 48V inverter and a 3.5kWh Pylontech can be had for R26k, you can have it all installed for under R40k.

I'm in the Randburg (JHB) area.
Thanks for the link I will check this out now.

Neuk_

Expert Member

Agreed, if you can stretch a bit, the LFP battery will be way, way, way better value for money in the long run than the LA battery. I speak from experience...

akescpt

Honorary Master
So this kit costs R24k

They offer installation of R13k

So that's more than half the cost of the kit. Why is the installation so expensive?

I want some capacity when Eskom plays screw the customer but these prices will keep me out of the game.

at the moment I'm thinking mercer 720w + 2 deep cycles. hook it up and see for how long it can last @ 40% utilization. with no install charge.

I will just use it to power my work pc + 32" lcd + apple tv and probably + some led lights.

But that Lithium kit is what I really want to work towards.

Last edited:

Neuk_

Expert Member
So this kit costs R24k

They offer installation of R13k

So that's more than half the cost of the kit. Why is the installation so expensive?

I want some capacity when Eskom plays screw the customer but these prices will keep me out of the game.

at the moment I'm thinking mercer 720w + 2 deep cycles. hook it up and see for how long it can last @ 40% utilization. with no install charge.

I will just use it to power my work pc + 32" lcd + apple tv and probably + some led lights.

But that Lithium kit is what I really want to work towards.

So R13k for just the installation sounds like a rip off as the R24k already includes the wiring, connectors, fuses, etc. We paid R15k for installation of our inverter and batteries but that included labour, wiring, fuses, electrical boxes, trunking, splitting the DB, etc.