wingnut771

Honorary Master
So R13k for just the installation sounds like a rip off as the R24k already includes the wiring, connectors, fuses, etc. We paid R15k for installation of our inverter and batteries but that included labour, wiring, fuses, electrical boxes, trunking, splitting the DB, etc.
and solar panel installation?

johnjm

Expert Member
this is the breakdown of the costs -

1 x SKVA Inverter - R16 000
4 x 105 A/Hour Batteries - R12 000
Battery Cabinet - R2000
Earth Leakage + main Breaker - R1500
Trunking and consumables - R500
Labour - R3000

The inverter price is too high unless it’s a victron or something, you can decrease cost there. Agree on what guys have said about the batteries, and even that quote is on the high side for LA too.

The labour is too cheap, you should be splitting your DB properly.

johnjm

Expert Member
Is there any product out there that can make my inverter able to charge lithium? I have no settings available to change anything on the battery side.

If there is something I’ll get it in a heartbeat as I really don’t feel like swopping inverters. The solar can charge in the day but then I’ll be stuck at night if I don’t also rely on the UPS charging batteries from the grid.

thehuman

Expert Member
Is there any product out there that can make my inverter able to charge lithium? I have no settings available to change anything on the battery side.

If there is something I’ll get it in a heartbeat as I really don’t feel like swopping inverters. The solar can charge in the day but then I’ll be stuck at night if I don’t also rely on the UPS charging batteries from the grid.
Photo and make , model of inverter

johnjm

Expert Member
Photo and make , model of inverter

It’s this one. 2.4kva

Maybe there is a program method out there as it has a data port, but I’ll never know..

I found a service Manual for it, but i reallt
dont know

would be amazing if one could program it, probably does utilise some standard com method maybe

TheChamp

Honorary Master
It’s this one. 2.4kva

Maybe there is a program method out there as it has a data port, but I’ll never know..

I found a service Manual for it, but i reallt
dont know

would be amazing if one could program it, probably does utilise some standard com method maybe
Some of the old inverters have a physical rotary switch on them to select the battery type, although I would be very surprised if there's a lithium option.

Open the panel and check.

johnjm

Expert Member
Some of the old inverters have a physical rotary switch on them to select the battery type, although I would be very surprised if there's a lithium option.

Open the panel and check.

Yeah I’m planning on opening it up as I want to paint the case to match the DB now (ended up repainting and revamping the garage today).

Pics for giggles
5c4ac077fbec25bee24170a0f9ed9271.jpg

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Or call Mantech and ask? If everything fails then maybe you might consider getting a separate charger for lithium batteries.

thehuman

Expert Member
Can float , bulk charging voltage be set ?
Can low battery cut out voltage be set ?
If not you won't be able to use lithium
Maybe give mantech a call , they good company.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Yeah I’m planning on opening it up as I want to paint the case to match the DB now (ended up repainting and revamping the garage today).

Pics for giggles
Baie netjies, now it does not look out of place with the other works of art.

johnjm

Expert Member
Thanks guys, yeah I’ll give Manteca call.

As a matter of interest. , is there an inverter out there that can charge lithium batteries and utilise my existing MPPT abs switch between eskom and solar?

Pretty pointless in buying a new inverter with built in MPPT when I’ve gone through this shlep of making it pretty.

Speedster

Honorary Master

Pics for giggles
When are you available to come do my installation?

johnjm

Expert Member
When are you available to come do my installation?

I slept like a baby last night after the hard graft.

I did get a guy for paint and another by chance on google somehow who knows how to wire things properly, but he’s in Cape Town from today for a farm install, was lucky to find him.

Here’s a picture of the repaint done on the trunking for the solar wiring. My ocd can’t deal with trunking that doesn’t blend in. Paint a bit wet but looks okay.

fa443d1957ede2cfa8e9802bc39fa013.jpg

Neuk_

Expert Member
Thanks guys, yeah I’ll give Manteca call.

As a matter of interest. , is there an inverter out there that can charge lithium batteries and utilise my existing MPPT abs switch between eskom and solar?

Pretty pointless in buying a new inverter with built in MPPT when I’ve gone through this shlep of making it pretty.

I know you bought some of your kit a long time ago, but this one of the reasons I suggest that people looking on going down the same road think further than just their immediate needs and plan for expansion to avoid buying kit that works very well but leaves you stuck should you want to add PV, or switch to LFP batteries, etc, etc.

johnjm

Expert Member
I know you bought some of your kit a long time ago, but this one of the reasons I suggest that people looking on going down the same road think further than just their immediate needs and plan for expansion to avoid buying kit that works very well but leaves you stuck should you want to add PV, or switch to LFP batteries, etc, etc.

Yeah 100%. I remember in 2015 I went to that jacked place and ordered R50k of victron stuff. I then slept on it and realised it was overkill as I just wanted 4 hours of backup at a time. So went with the ups that has served me very well.

My needs haven’t changed, just want it to contribute to my day time energy needs for lodshedding considering I’m working from home.

I really held back in adding more panels, as I was tempted to have 4 instead of the 2, but then it adds up to requiring a beefier MPPT etc. For me personally it’s a project and a hobby in a way, but at the same time it adds value with the eskom crap.

I was testing it yesterday at about 2pm again, from the rated 650w panels it was pulling 590w and really keeping the crappy batteries and inverter running my coffee machine etc. I can just imagine the satisfaction of having a full on solar set up with 12 panels.

Anyway, I look forward for the WiFi kit arriving for the MPPT as it’s display is mounted high up but is so rubbish as it doesn’t show power, only flashes between amps and voltage so not easy to measure. All will be solved with that.

I wired in another power meter in my DB for the inverter side to measure it’s power coming in, as my existing one measure eskom. And at the same time placed a sonof POW R2 onto the Aircon’s feed. These things still get WiFi signal through a metal DB... impressed.

Today I need to actually do work so the projects can be on hold for a while..

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Yeah 100%. I remember in 2015 I went to that jacked place and ordered R50k of victron stuff. I then slept on it and realised it was overkill as I just wanted 4 hours of backup at a time. So went with the ups that has served me very well.

My needs haven’t changed, just want it to contribute to my day time energy needs for lodshedding considering I’m working from home.

I really held back in adding more panels, as I was tempted to have 4 instead of the 2, but then it adds up to requiring a beefier MPPT etc. For me personally it’s a project and a hobby in a way, but at the same time it adds value with the eskom crap.

I was testing it yesterday at about 2pm again, from the rated 650w panels it was pulling 590w and really keeping the crappy batteries and inverter running my coffee machine etc. I can just imagine the satisfaction of having a full on solar set up with 12 panels.

Anyway, I look forward for the WiFi kit arriving for the MPPT as it’s display is mounted high up but is so rubbish as it doesn’t show power, only flashes between amps and voltage so not easy to measure. All will be solved with that.

I wired in another power meter in my DB for the inverter side to measure it’s power coming in, as my existing one measure eskom. And at the same time placed a sonof POW R2 onto the Aircon’s feed. These things still get WiFi signal through a metal DB... impressed.

Kindly post a link for the wifi kit.

johnjm

Expert Member

Okay, I think im gonna install two more panels. The rated amps will be more than the controller, but it will limit it to 30A. It will be fine as Voc will remain the same etc as they will be in parallel to the other two panels.

Or should I just leave it lol? Its addictive.

And I phoned mantech, the MPPT works in tandum with the UPS when charging batteries, but if I turn on the MPPT to charge while the UPS is charging the MPPT stops charging battery and turns off PV as it thinks the batteries are in over voltage.

What does everyone think on adding more panels? I shouldnt hey?

johnjm

Expert Member
Okay, never mind, not going to do it. I wanted to max the power on a hazy of cloudy time like it became now, but I go against the max panels for the controller that it recommends.

Must resist hehe