Spizz

Goat Botherer
I think it's program 29 that we are looking for, the low battery cutoff.

Ah ok, I just looked and it's set to 42V. Only way to change that is to set setting 5 battery type to user defined.

BTW, I came home at lunch time to try and figure this out so thanks to you guys for the help. Much appreciated.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Ah ok, I just looked and it's set to 42V. Only way to change that is to set setting 5 battery type to user defined.

BTW, I came home at lunch time to try and figure this out so thanks to you guys for the help. Much appreciated.
Always use user defined. The default settings suck, especially when using lead acid.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Always use user defined. The default settings suck, especially when using lead acid.

I'll need to have a longer look into it and see what the best settings are. I'll leave it as it is at the moment as it seems to be running in a SUB type priority and that's what I'm looking for. I don't want to mess that up by trying to change it until I know what I'm doing.

Dimpie (COMPUTEK)

Executive Member
From the images in post #1,497 your system is doing what it should.

You've got a ±25% load thats fed by utility + Solar in daytime. ... the solar is also feeding the battery.
The night-time image also shows ±25% load but is fed by utility only.

the green charge light will stay lit if battery is full and flash during charge
the charging LED will always stay displayed as the batt is always on a "trickle charge"
1.jpg

The inverter LED will come on in daytime when solar is converted and also during loadshedding
2.jpg

RonSwanson

Executive Member
What did figure they quote you (and for what setup)?
I contacted them for my home setup, which was tiny (5K) and gave all the information necessary. They prepared a preliminary quote for around R200K excluding install, and wanted to do a site visit to firm up the install cost, and to charge me over R1,300.00 for the privilege of inspecting and giving me an installation quote. This while 4 others were inspecting and providing full quotes at zero cost.

I told them that if I pay, I expect a full system design down to the last nut and bolt. Didn't hear from them again, not a pity because my full system (with extra panels added later) ended up costing me 165K including install.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
I contacted them for my home setup, which was tiny (5K) and gave all the information necessary. They prepared a preliminary quote for around R200K excluding install, and wanted to do a site visit to firm up the install cost, and to charge me over R1,300.00 for the privilege of inspecting and giving me an installation quote. This while 4 others were inspecting and providing full quotes at zero cost.

I told them that if I pay, I expect a full system design down to the last nut and bolt. Didn't hear from them again, not a pity because my full system (with extra panels added later) ended up costing me 165K including install.
I believe all your stuff is in your garage that gets quite hot. Have you thought about insulating and installing aircon to make your investment last longer?

Neuk_

Expert Member
Victron inverter, MPPT, GX controller, Bluenova battery, some panels, cabling and mounting, plus workshop and consumables.

The cost might make sense as Victron kit can be a lot more expensive than other kit, especially when looking at the separate inverter/charger, MPPT, control, etc. kits as most other popular brands are 'all-in-one'.

RonSwanson

Executive Member
The cost might make sense as Victron kit can be a lot more expensive than other kit, especially when looking at the separate inverter/charger, MPPT, control, etc. kits as most other popular brands are 'all-in-one'.
Sure. But paying for a "site inspection" when they are 18Km away?

The_Traveller

Expert Member
I believe all your stuff is in your garage that gets quite hot. Have you thought about insulating and installing aircon to make your investment last longer?
Thats a bit extreme i think, unless you telling me people's garages become ovens ?

Neuk_

Expert Member
Seeing as though this is the battery thread, I popped past the Enertec Jhb Distribution warehouse and offices to pick up a new battery for my fiance's car and get the connectors on two Ctek chargers changed to crocodile clip connectors and was shown around a bit. Lots and lots of LA batteries for bikes, cars and trucks but they have LiFe options as well, I was shown a 390Ah LA battery for use in UPS installations, got taken in to the technicians workshop which had a lot of interesting batteries being worked on as well as shown a few new projects they are working on which I can't divulge.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Seeing as though this is the battery thread, I popped past the Enertec Jhb Distribution warehouse and offices to pick up a new battery for my fiance's car and get the connectors on two Ctek chargers changed to crocodile clip connectors and was shown around a bit. Lots and lots of LA batteries for bikes, cars and trucks but they have LiFe options as well, I was shown a 390Ah LA battery for use in UPS installations, got taken in to the technicians workshop which had a lot of interesting batteries being worked on as well as shown a few new projects they are working on which I can't divulge.
How hot was the warehouse where the LA batteries are stored?

RonSwanson

Executive Member
Thats a bit extreme i think, unless you telling me people's garages become ovens ?
You'd be surprised, modern building standards are lax, hardly any residential garages have ceilings, and those that do have no insulation. Sun beats down on the IBR and it becomes very hot, not quite oven temperature, but hot enough to decrease the life of batteries and electronics (as well as other stored items). There is also inadequate ventilation, some around the main garage doors, but nothing high on the roof.

Stokstert

Executive Member
You'd be surprised, modern building standards are lax, hardly any residential garages have ceilings, and those that do have no insulation. Sun beats down on the IBR and it becomes very hot, not quite oven temperature, but hot enough to decrease the life of batteries and electronics (as well as other stored items). There is also inadequate ventilation, some around the main garage doors, but nothing high on the roof.

And then you get those idiots who paint a flat roof black.

Last edited: