The benefits of dark mode

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
The benefits of dark mode

Dark modes have become popular in recent times, with the likes of Google, Microsoft, Apple, and Android all introducing dark mode options.
As the name suggests, these involve adjusting the color scheme of the software to prioritise blacks and dark greys, rather than whites and light greys.

Nobody Important

Executive Member
I really like Dark Mode and use it on as many websites and programmes as I can. I know there are plugins that can make all webpages dark, but I don't like the effect. Its better when the site offers it as an option.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
found it!
Its the cyan part that makes it look weird
Yeah. I prefer a softer dark grey and other muted colours. Some like themes like this one but it strains my eyes more than the default white.

I have the same problem in Eclipse. Have to import themes and colour templates that look more like IntelliJ's.

nexxus

I like it, makes me feel like I'm on the the old Prophecy forums back in the 90s.

sajunky

Honorary Master
Myths:
Dark colours also have the ability to use less power, and since darker displays work better in low-light settings, your electricity costs could be reduced.
True on CRT monitors. False on most LCD monitors (with a backlit). Light intensity is the same, just a mask blocks some light.

Additionally, if your device has faulty pixels these are often less noticeable when using a dark display – reducing the urgency with which a device needs to be fixed.
I don't use monitors with dead pixels, do you?
Situations where there is lots of external light, such as when you are using a device in a well-lit room, can also cause text positioned on dark backgrounds to be difficult to read.
Reversed text can be used (white on a dark background)

Wasabee!

Expert Member
Tapatalk Dark Mode works very well
Unfortunately Tapatalk is crap and it's a grey mode not dark mode. I'm using Chrome now to view forums as Tapatalk is so slow, intermittent etc. MyBB has a nice dark mode on the website.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Unfortunately Tapatalk is crap and it's a grey mode not dark mode. I'm using Chrome now to view forums as Tapatalk is so slow, intermittent etc. MyBB has a nice dark mode on the website.
Android or iOS?

I have very few issues (none) on iOS

eg2505

Honorary Master
I really like Dark Mode and use it on as many websites and programmes as I can. I know there are plugins that can make all webpages dark, but I don't like the effect. Its better when the site offers it as an option.
yip use it as well, add on for firefox, sometimes it works, and sometimes not.

much easier to read, and looks better IMO,