The best alternatives to Microsoft Windows and Office

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
The best free alternatives to Microsoft's Windows and Office

Many people don’t realise that there is high-quality, free software available that can compete with Microsoft Office and the Windows operating system.

While you might feel comfortable using traditional programs and be hesitant to change, you could save thousands of rand just by choosing high-quality freeware over paid software.

TribbleZA

Honorary Master
I am curious as to why you they didn't mention Open Office as it has been around for a long time and many people I know use it as an alternative. I use the Google suite of products too - they are definitely much improved from what they were and more than capable of doing what most users would need. Yes you do need a constant internet connection - but you also do not need to save.

Grouter

Expert Member
I am curious as to why you they didn't mention Open Office as it has been around for a long time and many people I know use it as an alternative. I use the Google suite of products too - they are definitely much improved from what they were and more than capable of doing what most users would need. Yes you do need a constant internet connection - but you also do not need to save.
I thought the whole open office project was a bit sort of abandoned / no longer actively developed? Whereas Libre office still is.
"In September 2016, OpenOffice's project management committee chair Dennis Hamilton began a discussion of possibly discontinuing the project, after the Apache board had put them on monthly reporting due to the project's ongoing problems handling security issues"

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
A few years ago I tried the Linux life. I don't think I've ever felt joy like when I switched back to Windows. I'm fine with paying for my software.

Open Office has been a no-go for years already. Libre is the free Office suite to use.

Pythonista

Because once Oracle took over OpenOffice, it effectively died. And then just before it totally died, it was handed over the the Apache Foundation, where all great software gets put out to pasture. Really - LibreOffice was the fork of OpenOffice before Oracle took it over, and it's well maintained and is now a pleasure to use. The open source world moves very fast and oracle was just too fat and sluggish to do anything with Open Office.

SoldierMan

Executive Member
I currently use OpenOffice on Windows, so is it advisable to switch to LibreOffice? Never actually heard of it before.

Pythonista

A few years ago I tried the Linux life. I don't think I've ever felt joy like when I switched back to Windows. I'm fine with paying for my software.
On the very very odd occasion that I'm FORCED to help someone on their windows machine, I feel so dirty that I have to wash my hands afterwards. It is the most unpleasant experience. Nothing works they way I want it to. With Linux I can do it the way I want to. I've been using Linux as my sole O/S for 20+ years.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I currently use OpenOffice on Windows, so is it advisable to switch to LibreOffice? Never actually heard of it before.

Of course it is. Read the posts above.

On the very very odd occasion that I'm FORCED to help someone on their windows machine, I feel so dirty that I have to wash my hands afterwards. It is the most unpleasant experience. Nothing works they way I want it to. With Linux I can do it the way I want to. I've been using Linux as my sole O/S for 20+ years.

That's not an experience inherent to Windows though. I also die a little inside when I see many other people's Windows setups. It just means they suck at computers. These are not the sort of people who would have a good time on Linux.

Grouter

Expert Member
Yes. Every time a client can't or won't pony up for a copy of Microsoft Office and asks me to install OpenOffice "because that's what I'm used to" I cringe at the installer, the sheer glacial slowness of it and especially the autostart with windows which takes longer even than Avast to get going.

Pythonista

If it does the job for you and you are happy with it - keep using it. But it's not really maintained much anymore, and LibreOffice at least tries to keep up with the Microsoft Office on-disk file formats - so eventually you'll get files from other people that might not be readable. LO will likely help you there.

SoldierMan

Executive Member
If it does the job for you and you are happy with it - keep using it. But it's not really maintained much anymore, and LibreOffice at least tries to keep up with the Microsoft Office on-disk file formats - so eventually you'll get files from other people that might not be readable. LO will likely help you there.

Yeah OO is fine for text documents but I've found is useless at importing Office spreadsheets and some other documents. Guess I'll be trying out Libra!

chrisc

Executive Member
If you run Linux, you won't need AVAST or anything similar

Libre Office is first class. It runs all Excel macros and reads all Excel files

Linux Mint is more attractive than Windows and the desktop is more useful, especially being able to run 4 separate desktops

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
If you use Chrome you can get offline access --> https://support.google.com/docs/answer/6388102?co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop&hl=en. The new Gmail also comes with offline access you can enable.

recre8

I gave WPS Office a go in both Windows and my linux desktop. It’s actually quite nice although there is the occasional ad that pops up on the free version. It’s light weight compared to Office and LibreOffice. But nowadays doing stuff in Google Drive/Docs and Office 365 online is just as easy

Genisys

Honorary Master
Can we please just stop referring to Linux? It gives the impression that people are using pure Linux, when in fact that is kind of impossible (Its a kernel, so running pure Linux won't have any apps, essentially you'll only be running init).