The best alternatives to Microsoft Windows and Office

Swa

Honorary Master
Why not just pay for stuff? If it's all in pursuit of productivity, then they are all perfectly justified expenses.

Off the top of my head, some of my stuff:
- Windows 10 Pro
- Office 365
- Adobe CC
- Affinity Photo
- Evernote Premium
- WinRAR (yep, paid version - 7zip can't extract many archives from Envato Elements)
- Blisk Browser
- FileZilla Pro

I don't spare a thought for what those cost me, but I appreciate using them every single day.
Honestly I don't see what the point is. I don't work with MS Word files. LibreOffice is every bit as professional looking with everything being capable of being done in it. I'm also for supporting open formats. If more people used it less would be asking for Office compatibility in fact. MS has broken their own compatibility on occasions. Don't see why I should pay for that when I've only produced two professional documents the last few years. Irfanview is fast and is the best image viewer I've seen. I haven't even seen alternatives to Veracrypt and its predecessors. Bitlocker is something I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. I don't know about Wordweb but it does the job quite well as long as you don't take more than two flights in a year.

What I find funny is how when there's a free bit of software with no paid equivalent people see it as par for the course. But when there is people
complain that free can't cut it even when there's no justification for it. I'm not against paying for things that are worth it but really apart from games I haven't come across anything like that in years. Most of the stuff I only need occasionally come in trial versions as well.

ponder

Honorary Master
Forgive my ignorance - do all the available games work on Linux ?
No. As a long time (~15yrs) linux user I'm gonna say don't go there. If you game use Win10.

My gaming desktop is Win10 only. My laptop runs linux + WPS Office as it has the best compatibility with MS Office file formats and it looks like office.

Sl8er

Executive Member
Forgive my ignorance - do all the available games work on Linux ?
As has been mentioned, not all, but a good number -some, apparently, even better in Linux.
But you can go check on "protondb" to see what will or won't work.

I'm busy experimenting with this right now, actually. Slow internet and lack of time has only seen me install GTAV, Skyrim and Batman Arkham Asylum thus far and
without looking at a FPS counter, I can't tell much of a difference between playing it on Linux or Win 10. (No stuttering / lag at all.)
It's only going to get better and more and more titles will become available for Linux -natively or via Proton.
At least that's the feeling within the Linux community.
(I've seen it become exponentially better in the last year - year and a half. Like, by magnitudes, so I tend to agree with this.)

I already do everything else on Linux and now I want to move gaming there as well.

As for installing Linux...I had to install Win 10 the other day...and I can hands down say that installing Linux is (now) easier, faster and less hassle.
In the past I always used to go for the more Windows-like distributions -because of obvious reasons. I installed PopOS a few months ago -because of
gaming- and forced myself to work in the gnome environment. At first it was a little weird, but once you get the hang of it...man...it's only then that
you realize how much windows really hampers you. Moving around various windows (desktops) with keyboard and mouse shortcuts is fcking stellar. ;)

Of course, the added bonus is that I know windows isn't spying on me anymore and that my system is far better protected than a windows machine.
(Oh and not to mention that you have more resources available in Linux vs Windows...almost an extra GB of ram -on start up- to be exact...so there's that as well.)

IMO.

EDIT: One thing that Linux does suck at, though, is printing. If you have an HP, you should be fine, but other printer variants is a bit of a mission, apparently.
I say "apparently" because I have a Canon and thought -from what I heard other Linux users mention- that it was going to be a pain to get working. BUT, it
wasn't. I found a site that explains it easy enough for a noob like me to get things working. It was much easier than I thought it would be, but yeah.
Look, there's obviously going to be a learning curve...but it's nothing that can't be done. For me, I just felt like with all windows' shenanigans, I was probably
going to move sooner or later...and I decided that it would rather be sooner than later. So far, I couldn't be happier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Swa

KT-B

Honorary Master
As has been mentioned, not all, but a good number -some, apparently, even better in Linux.
But you can go check on "protondb" to see what will or won't work.

I'm busy experimenting with this right now, actually. Slow internet and lack of time has only seen me install GTAV, Skyrim and Batman Arkham Asylum thus far and
without looking at a FPS counter, I can't tell much of a difference between playing it on Linux or Win 10. (No stuttering / lag at all.)
It's only going to get better and more and more titles will become available for Linux -natively or via Proton.
At least that's the feeling within the Linux community.
(I've seen it become exponentially better in the last year - year and a half. Like, by magnitudes, so I tend to agree with this.)

I already do everything else on Linux and now I want to move gaming there as well.

As for installing Linux...I had to install Win 10 the other day...and I can hands down say that installing Linux is (now) easier, faster and less hassle.
In the past I always used to go for the more Windows-like distributions -because of obvious reasons. I installed PopOS a few months ago -because of
gaming- and forced myself to work in the gnome environment. At first it was a little weird, but once you get the hang of it...man...it's only then that
you realize how much windows really hampers you. Moving around various windows (desktops) with keyboard and mouse shortcuts is fcking stellar. ;)

Of course, the added bonus is that I know windows isn't spying on me anymore and that my system is far better protected than a windows machine.
(Oh and not to mention that you have more resources available in Linux vs Windows...almost an extra GB of ram -on start up- to be exact...so there's that as well.)

IMO.

EDIT: One thing that Linux does suck at, though, is printing. If you have an HP, you should be fine, but other printer variants is a bit of a mission, apparently.
I say "apparently" because I have a Canon and thought -from what I heard other Linux users mention- that it was going to be a pain to get working. BUT, it
wasn't. I found a site that explains it easy enough for a noob like me to get things working. It was much easier than I thought it would be, but yeah.
Look, there's obviously going to be a learning curve...but it's nothing that can't be done. For me, I just felt like with all windows' shenanigans, I was probably
going to move sooner or later...and I decided that it would rather be sooner than later. So far, I couldn't be happier.
Thanks - I shall pass this on. I have a few friends who are keen on Linux. We have some clients using it but they cannot use all our products on Linux so some of their machines have to remain MS. As I am a Microsoft trainer - I will not be dropping my Office suite or OS anytime soon. The things you can do with 365 are amazing. :D

Swa

Honorary Master
Thanks - I shall pass this on. I have a few friends who are keen on Linux. We have some clients using it but they cannot use all our products on Linux so some of their machines have to remain MS. As I am a Microsoft trainer - I will not be dropping my Office suite or OS anytime soon. The things you can do with 365 are amazing. :D
Quite a number of Windows software can be run in Wine. It's worth trying first if someone is serious about using it.

lowriderza

Anyway, each to their own. I hugely appreciate my ultra cheap OneDrive storage that integrates so perfectly with Windows 10.
I love Onedrive I also moved my one domain to Godaddy so I could take advantage of the 50gb Outlook mailbox.