The best and worst telecoms operators in South Africa

Which Telecoms Operator do you think has the best service levels?

• Vodacom

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Telkom

Votes: 14 16.5%
  • MTN

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Cell C

Votes: 34 40.0%
  • iBurst

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Virgin Mobile

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Neotel

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters

Scoperzor

I just couldn't bring myself to choose any of the listed options in the poll :/

CR34M3

Something in these numbers aren't working for me... the Telkom ones most of all... Maybe people have decided to stop trying to get Telkom to do anything?

A point that I would like to see is; how many of these complaints have been successfully resolved? I know hellopeter allows the status of the complaint to change, but was this factored into these numbers?

Personally I'd rather have a company who fixed 400 of its 500 complaints than someone who hasn't touched its 200 complaints.

Devo-sa

I just couldn't bring myself to choose any of the listed options in the poll :/

Agreed... not even if it was worded as "Which Telecoms Operator do you think has the least bad service levels?" could I have chosen anything.

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Something in these numbers aren't working for me... the Telkom ones most of all... Maybe people have decided to stop trying to get Telkom to do anything?
This is something we discussed in the office. Have some companies ‘worn their customers’ down to a point that they don’t bother complaining any longer?

Also: A company which responds on HelloPeter is likely to attract more complaints on that platform because there is an incentive to complain. That is however partly offset by the fact that ‘companies who respond’ can concert complaints to compliments…

Valis

Expert Member
iBurst got 19 compliments? Impossible! I'm sure those were made by employees of iBurst acting as sock-puppets. It is completely inconceivable that any one could possibly compliment iBurst.

TwoCents1000

The second table (Complaints/1000 customers) is the more relevant table.

Did anyone notice the big jump in the numbers in this table?

The mobile operators sit below 0.5, but then there is a huge jump to the smaller players. Vodacom/MTN is 0.3/0.4 and then it basically jumps to 7/8/12 for iBurst/Virgin/Neotel.

Which most likely shows the bigger guys spend some of their huge profits on customer care while the smaller guys, who are all running at a loss, cannot.

Joe Average

I measure service in a triangular ratio of SPEED - COST - QUALITY and then CellC outperforms anyone else. In simple terms, the best bang for your buck !

R13...

Honorary Master
The obvious problem with using hellopeter as a basis for the survey is that only a minuscule % of customers use or have access to it. And out of those, only the biggest whiners use it.

ThinkCentre

Expert Member
Take note that all service provider has complaints! Can we not assume everyone have crap service?

Last edited:

Blackhand

There are more than 1733 complaints per second about Telkom on these boards alone.

grok

Honorary Master
/me points and laughs at Neotel figures in that last table.

RJMadCat

One thing that you need to take in consideration with the "statistics" is Time.

Humans all over the world adapt to certain things, If your "use" to crap service then you wont complain about it after a while. For example: Every week you call X company because you have issues with them, after a few months you are so fed up u cant bother to call them anymore as you already know what their answer will be.

If myself and everyone else here had to make a complain post every time we get bad service the ratio's would look 100 times worse than it is looking now, Most people including myself are Fed up sick and tired of complaining, because complaining does not seem to help our situation. "kyk noord en vok voort" when it comes to anything that resembles communication in South Africa, That poll is ridicules, we are now making polls about what Crap is the best crap...