The best degrees to study to get a high IT salary in South Africa

system32

Expert Member
Bachelor’s degree R42,000
Matric R40,000
Seems like Bachelor’s degree has no value.

Computer Science (BSc Computer Science or similar) R37,000
What does "or similar" mean - MCSE?

Even a BA pays more!

Daruk

Honorary Master
@Newsfeed I think if you introduce age into that equation you will see that the vast majority of those with only matric and earning above average are an older generation with way more experience. It’s very hard to get in at any reasonable salary scale with just a matric and no experience, so I don’t think it’s just down to being self-taught. I think what it’s implying is that you can start on R40k with just a matric which is false. Also, a degree might give you the impression you are entitled to something when in fact you have to prove yourself valuable like anyone else. Some people fall for that trap and never move up much. Us without degrees have known that from the get go. Of course it’s a generalization. There are plenty of degreed folk who have and continue to not take things for granted.

Johand

Expert Member
I am suprised that PhDs earn more... research elsewhere in the world show your earning potential drops when you do a PhD - and the peak is masters degree.

The MBA might also be misleading. A lot of people do their MBA through work when they already have an upward growth trajectory i.e. cause and effect for MBA might be inverted - you do an MBA because you are doing well in your career rather than you are doing well in your career because you did an MBA. It would be interesting to see which qualifications is paired with the MBA.

Messugga

Honorary Master
I am suprised that PhDs earn more... research elsewhere in the world show your earning potential drops when you do a PhD - and the peak is masters degree.

The MBA might also be misleading. A lot of people do their MBA through work when they already have an upward growth trajectory i.e. cause and effect for MBA might be inverted - you do an MBA because you are doing well in your career rather than you are doing well in your career because you did an MBA. It would be interesting to see which qualifications is paired with the MBA.
I've personally been of the opinion that if you have to pay for a MBA yourself, you don't need the MBA. It's an excellent qualification to have on tbe CV of a future board member or some other executive. I've seen many project managers and similar who went through the pain on their own, and who haven't benefited much if at all, from doing so.
Chatted to someone doing a MBA at GIBS a couple of years ago. He was already Middle East and Africa for a multinational. He told me he was gatvol of it, his employer was gatvol of it and his opinion was that you were going to get where you were going irrespective of the qualification.

hj007

Seems like Bachelor’s degree has no value.

Even a BA pays more!
Yeah weird that Bsc Computer science would be lower than matric or bachelors degree. 50% of these statistics look made up

whatwhat

Executive Member
Degree does not mean anything, especially not a promise of a high salary.

It helps you to get into another country, but go look at how many doctors and professors are taxi drivers in New York or other parts of the world.

Messugga

Honorary Master

It helps you to get into another country, but go look at how many doctors and professors are taxi drivers in New York or other parts of the world.
*foreign doctors
Because their qualifications are not recognised in other countries.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Yeah weird that Bsc Computer science would be lower than matric or bachelors degree. 50% of these statistics look made up
They're based on the MyBB survey AFAIK. As mentioned above, what needs to come into the equasion is number of years' experience. That's a huge factor. e.g. BSc - first job out of uni is not going to earn what *any qualification* 25 years out of uni will earn.

That's not what the survey shows.

cguy

Executive Member
There’s a ton of selection bias in these results that one should be aware of. Firstly, BSc probably (would be good to have clarification) refers to people with just BSc degrees, where technically, people with honours, msc, PhDs, etc. are also BSc holders. So the BSc grouping is typically selecting the worst of the BSc holders.

Secondly, the degree holders sampled are those that have remained in SA. This will select a subset with a lower mean income potential, whereas those with only matric are more likely to remain (international mobility is harder) even if they are highly talented.

cguy

Executive Member

Possible reason: Elsewhere in the world there is a huge discrepancy between pay for academic vs industry positions (or even within industry: blue sky research vs bottom line contributors). In SA, there is very little blue sky research in industry, and academic positions are quite closely matched with industry too.

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
You are going to have to make sacrifices to get somewhere in life.

Interesting results but while a degree will never guarantee you a better salary, or even a job, it does make it easier.

I got into this industry 13 years back with only matric at age 30. Was dead easy to get into the industry but the salary was mega low. I realised quickly that in order to grow career wise I had to work hard and had two choices, work longer hours as a developer or spend those extra hours on a degree.

I graduated last year and busy with my honors now.

I've found that I get invited to better job offers and interviews are more focused on the actual job than a run through of the standard filters to see if I know how to boot up a PC or implement fizzbuzz. Interviews are shorter, cover more of the important things and more honest. My last interview was 1 hour with an offer the next morning, I'm starting there in a months time.

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
You are going to have to make sacrifices to get somewhere in life.

Interesting results but while a degree will never guarantee you a better salary, or even a job, it does make it easier.

I got into this industry 13 years back with only matric at age 30. Was dead easy to get into the industry but the salary was mega low. I realised quickly that in order to grow career wise I had to work hard and had two choices, work longer hours as a developer or spend those extra hours on a degree.

I graduated last year and busy with my honors now.

I've found that I get invited to better job offers and interviews are more focused on the actual job than a run through of the standard filters to see if I know how to boot up a PC or implement fizzbuzz. Interviews are shorter, cover more of the important things and more honest. My last interview was 1 hour with an offer the next morning, I'm starting there in a months time.
Wow much respect for starting to study at 30. Very impressive!

mr_norris

Expert Member

Even a BA pays more!
I know with UNISA they had different streams for comp sci degrees, now it's just a standard comp sci. Perhaps that's what they meant by similar.

An MCSE is not what I'd consider similar to a comp sci degree. Not bashing it at all though.