The best digital subscription services to gift this Christmas

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
None of these seem like good subscription gifts to me, because they're expensive to buy a year of. And who gifts a single month of something? Also, so unoriginal.

Here are some decent digital gift ideas imo:

1) Evernote Premium

R400 for a year. Epic multi-platform notes service that I have relied on to basically function as a human being for the better part of a decade now. Can clip web articles, scan documents & business cards, collaborate or share notes with others, manage to-do lists and projects and obviously compile work and personal notes. I have gifted this a few times to people and without exception, they tell me a little while later that they can't believe they made do without it for so long. This Christmas I've had 4 requests for renewals as a Christmas gift.

2) Bitwarden, LastPass, Dashlane etc.

If you know someone without a password manager, it's a relatively inexpensive gift that could make a positive difference to their lives through the improved convenience and security. I have tried them all and have become partial to Bitwarden - it's also the cheapest premium subscription. If you want to spend more, Dashlane is the one to get imo.

3) Amazon Prime Video

Much cheaper than Netflix and most people don't already have it. You can cover it with a USD Amazon gift card and provide instructions in the description of the card. Prime Video is $2.99pm for the first 6 months and $5.99 thereafter. So you can do both 6 and 12 months quite affordably.

4) Microsoft Office 365 Personal

You can buy 12-month codes very cheaply on local online marketplaces. I've bought over 10 at this point for myself and friends and family, all between R200 and R450 a code. With 365 you get 1TB OneDrive storage and the latest Office desktop apps. Very cool if you know they don't have cloud storage or the latest and/or legal Office software.

5) CSS Scan

If you know a web designer or web developer, there's a good chance they aren't aware of one of the coolest browser extensions ever: CSS Scan. It's 52% off at $29 currently.

6) Play Store or App Store gift cards

You can't go wrong with these. Everyone could do with premium apps or games, and it's a different enough gift to come across as unique and thoughtful. Just make sure you buy for the right platform.

7) Video games

3 months of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate: R379 at CDKeys
Red Dead Redemption 2 for PC: R606 at CDKeys
Star Wars: Fallen Order on PC: R606 at CDKeys
Lots more on sale and across the site: cdkeys.com/sale

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
@Bryn

Shot for the Evernote tip!
The online gift card pricing is in USD now it seems for us, which is way more expensive. And it also requires being a Premium member yourself to purchase.

The easiest and cheapest method is through the Play Store. Evernote Premium is R400 if you do the billing through Google, and you can easily buy Play Store gift cards.

waylander

Expert Member
The online gift card pricing is in USD now it seems for us, which is way more expensive. And it also requires being a Premium member yourself to purchase.

The easiest and cheapest method is through the Play Store. Evernote Premium is R400 if you do the billing through Google, and you can easily buy Play Store gift cards.
I just peeped the student discount and got the annual plan for R199 which is fantastic

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
^^Joplin is FOSS and great...

Silly article. They'll have most of those if you do password sharing. Rather gift something like a password manager or secure email service like Protonail, Tutanota, Mailbox.org or cloud storage like pCloud or sync.com etc.