The best Google-certified Android TV boxes available in South Africa

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
The best Google-certified Android TV boxes available in South Africa

Online streaming is becoming increasingly popular among South Africans, with users subscribing to services like Netflix and Showmax which are much cheaper than conventional satellite television.

This is further enabled by the availability of Android TV boxes, which support media apps such as Netflix, DStv Now, Showmax, and more.

1geoff99

Besides Google certified, you also need to know which are Netflix certified/approved (for HD and 4k content). I know the Xiaomi devices are, I don't know about the rest which are listed. Other Google and Netflix approved devices I know about are the NVIDIA Shield and the Ematic.

Last edited:
Besides Google certified, you also need to know which are Netflix certified/approved (for HD and 4k content). I know the Xiaomi devices are, I don't know about the rest which are listed. Other Netflix approved devices I know about are the NVIDIA Shield and the Ematic.
The Mygica ATV495max is not Netflix certified. You can load a workaround, but this is iffy at best. Lots of Netflix files give an error message on the workaround.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Besides Google certified, you also need to know which are Netflix certified/approved (for HD and 4k content). I know the Xiaomi devices are, I don't know about the rest which are listed. Other Netflix approved devices I know about are the NVIDIA Shield and the Ematic.
I suspect the current drive around Google-certified devices stems from DSTV Now (officially) not working if the device isn't certified. Lots of DSTV-sponsored content on this site as well, so it figures.

That said, if it gets a foot in the door for those on the fence regarding streaming video, great. Most people will quickly get into other offerings besides DSTV Now once they have one of these devices.

Last edited:

Hunted

If you can afford it then get a Nvidia Shield TV.

For myself a google certified device running a proper Android TV OS is the only way to go.

Seen too many times people buying a cheap Android BOX running a standard version of Android with some custom skin on it. They get frustrated with running the standard YouTube app as it clunky to use with an airmouse type remote. So it goes for other apps as well.

I have the MiBox as well and it works great and has a decent price. Good entry into the world of Proper Android TV box/OS environment.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
My dad's LIT box from Telkom works just fine with Netflix.

The Amazon Fire Stick I won here on MyBB works well for my needs too, as well as the Xbox One S and Samsung apps on the main TV.

If you can afford it then get a Nvidia Shield TV.

For myself a google certified device running a proper Android TV OS is the only way to go.

Seen too many times people buying a cheap Android BOX running a standard version of Android with some custom skin on it. They get frustrated with running the standard YouTube app as it clunky to use with an airmouse type remote. So it goes for other apps as well.

I have the MiBox as well and it works great and has a decent price. Good entry into the world of Proper Android TV box/OS environment.
The Nvidia Shield TV prices I've seen in SA are ridiculous to me. What does it do to justify the price?

AdrianH

Expert Member
Besides Google certified, you also need to know which are Netflix certified/approved (for HD and 4k content). I know the Xiaomi devices are, I don't know about the rest which are listed. Other Google and Netflix approved devices I know about are the NVIDIA Shield and the Ematic.
LITs are Netflix certified as well. Its a decent little box, working well.

Also supports DSTV Now for those who piggy back on parents/friends/other DSTV account :)

Superjakes

Expert Member
LITs are Netflix certified as well. Its a decent little box, working well.

Also supports DSTV Now for those who piggy back on parents/friends/other DSTV account :)
It might ship with Android 7.1, but there is an official Android 8 upgrade if I am not mistaken. My only gripe is the wonky remote it came with (which was apparently upgraded in later releases).