The best GPUs for South African PC gamers

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
The best GPUs for South African PC gamers

2019 has seen a great selection of new graphics cards enter the market, offering powerful performance for gamers and other power users.

For those buying a new graphics card, it is important to understand which provides the best performance within your budget.

furpile

Expert Member
Both the RTX 2070 Super and RTX 2080 Super graphics cards have a similar price to the cards they replace, despite their improved performance.
Code:
GeForce RTX 2080 Super  16,640  R14,599 (Aorus)
GeForce RTX 2080        15,569  R16,075
GeForce RTX 2070 Super  14,467  R10,699
GeForce RTX 2070        14,168  R7,584
The 2080 Super is actually cheaper but the 2070 Super is a lot more expensive.

SaiyanZ

Executive Member
Upgrading a GPU doesn't seem to be as important as it was in the past (before 2015 or so when game requirements seemed to grow as rapidly as GPU advancements). I'm still using a GTX970 which I've had for over 4 years and it still runs everything I need it to at 1080p.

Also when you look at games like The Witcher 3 which looks great and a GTX970 maxes out, vs some of the newer stuff that looks worse and runs worse, it's not the GPU that's the problem.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Upgrading a GPU doesn't seem to be as important as it was in the past (before 2015 or so when game requirements seemed to grow as rapidly as GPU advancements). I'm still using a GTX970 which I've had for over 4 years and it still runs everything I need it to at 1080p.
My 6GB 1060 also still does everything I need at 1080p. And more and more of my favourite games tend to not require intense horsepower anyway.

When 1440p 144Hz panels come down in price and go up in quality, I'll probably finally upgrade to some top-end graphics card that can manage 120+ fps in any game at 1440p.

I expected VR to force my hand long before now, but that whole movement has been desperately disappointing. The available models are overpriced, have disappointing degrees of immersion and woeful industry support. A crying shame as some of the tech demos are amazing. I just don't understand it. All that bs with the stupid controllers ruined it perhaps - I just want to play at my desk as usual but with a headset instead of a monitor.

Rabobi

Executive Member

Also when you look at games like The Witcher 3 which looks great and a GTX970 maxes out, vs some of the newer stuff that looks worse and runs worse, it's not the GPU that's the problem.
To be fair, that card is/was an absolute legend. Ran one for many years also

Rabobi

Executive Member
My 6GB 1060 also still does everything I need at 1080p. And more and more of my favourite games tend to not require intense horsepower anyway.

When 1440p 144Hz panels come down in price and go up in quality, I'll probably finally upgrade to some top-end graphics card that can manage 120+ fps in any game at 1440p.

I expected VR to force my hand long before now, but that whole movement has been desperately disappointing. The available models are overpriced, have disappointing degrees of immersion and woeful industry support. A crying shame as some of the tech demos are amazing. I just don't understand it. All that bs with the stupid controllers ruined it perhaps - I just want to play at my desk as usual but with a headset instead of a monitor.
Couldnt agree more. Trying to play a FPS with those monstrosities as controllers was such a disappointment. VR shines with racing and other sims though, awesome experience

Loppas

Upgrading a GPU doesn't seem to be as important as it was in the past (before 2015 or so when game requirements seemed to grow as rapidly as GPU advancements). I'm still using a GTX970 which I've had for over 4 years and it still runs everything I need it to at 1080p..
Games seem to require more CPU than GPU these days, but that's just how it seems from my perspective because i'm running a i7 3770k thats bottlenecking my gtx 1080 at 1080p.

ponder

Honorary Master

You can probably thank consoles for that. It's the biggest market and they need to cater for it first, if runs on console it will run like a champ on pc.

xcaliber

Expert Member
Games seem to require more CPU than GPU these days, but that's just how it seems from my perspective because i'm running a i7 3770k thats bottlenecking my gtx 1080 at 1080p.
No. Games will max out a gpu way before a cpu

Loppas

I suppose it depends on the game. For battle royales or open world games with lots of ai or player models on the screen, the CPU is usually the limiting factor. Also, the fact that a lot of new games are well threaded means that people with the older 4 core i7s with 8 threads and people with 6 core i5s run at very high usage % which is a potential bottleneck.

Splinter

Honorary Master
I suppose it depends on the game. For battle royales or open world games with lots of ai or player models on the screen, the CPU is usually the limiting factor. Also, the fact that a lot of new games are well threaded means that people with the older 4 core i7s with 8 threads and people with 6 core i5s run at very high usage % which is a potential bottleneck.
I think xcaliber is correct on this one.

Herr_Koos

An RX580 for over R7k?? How far did you have to dig for that one? The mining craze is over peeps, these cards are selling for 4k and below in the real world.

Not to mention that you would never base a buying decision on a single synthetic benchmark. A proper comparison must be done across a range of games before you can really say how two GPU's stack up against each other.

Last edited:

Herr_Koos

Not necessarily true. It is very much dependent on the type of game and the settings you run it at. 1080p is much more CPU-intensive than 4k, for instance, since the GPU has less to do at lower resolutions and spends more time waiting for the CPU to finish its tasks. Also, physics and AI calculations tend to be very much CPU based, so games with intense AI (RTS especially) will be mainly CPU bottlenecked. Multi-core support is also a factor; games that only tax one or two threads will run significantly better on newer chips with higher clock speeds and better IPC. Newer games with better multi-core support will run much worse on older chips with fewer cores.

I know many people think an old CPU doesn't hold you back when gaming. Sorry, but it really does.

Last edited: