The best mobile broadband speeds in South Africa – Ookla

surfs-up

Expert Member
The following list ranks the four mobile operators based on the average download speed:

MTN – 7.56Mbps
Vodacom – 6.23Mbps
Telkom Mobile – 4.38Mbps
Cell C – 3.15Mbps

That is quite the opposite what I am getting in Richards Bay. With 2 smartphones and 2 tablets each running a SIM card from the 4 different networks, all running OOKLA simultaneously to the same server location, I get this:

Telkom Mobile: 8.5 Mbps
Cell C: 6.2 Mbps
MTN: 0.17 Mbps
Vodacom: 0.03 Mbps

Tinuva

The Magician
That is quite the opposite what I am getting in Richards Bay. With 2 smartphones and 2 tablets each running a SIM card from the 4 different networks, all running OOKLA simultaneously to the same server location, I get this:

Telkom Mobile: 8.5 Mbps
Cell C: 6.2 Mbps
MTN: 0.17 Mbps
Vodacom: 0.03 Mbps

Nirvana must be a magical place :p

Insint

Expert Member
I understand why mtn has the best speed because they are the only network where my signal is 90% of the time so poor that I cannot even browse the internet.

Centurion area:
Mtn - connected but the signal is so poor that it takes a minute or two to open mybroadband. Basically no internet...
Vodacom - also working good, I do not have a stick but family members were using vodacom.
Cellc - is getting 3 bars my and about 3mbps.
Telkom mobile - is also 3 bars sometimes full bars with good speed. I did not do a speed test with it but I was able to watch youtube 720p without any issues.

I had the same problem in Levubu and that is a very remote small town.
Mtn - I was unable to connect at all.
Vodacom - you were able to browse slowly and good luck with watching youtube. buffering...
Cellc - signal was excellent and the internet was fast enough to browse and watch youtube. Good job cellc.
Telkom mobile - unable to connect.

Last edited:

Skerminkel

Expert Member
Hit 8,15 Mb/s on CellC for the first time last night. Poor ping though. > 300ms
This morning back to 3,3 Mb/s. Good enough for me.

lestoran

Uhm ja, right.

Struggle to get a 3g connection at all in Cape Town cbd with MTN. Mostly its Edge and often even that times out.

Methinks they have to re-evaluate their testing methodology before no-one takes them seriously anymore.