The best shows ever on Netflix and Showmax

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
The best shows ever on Netflix and Showmax

If you are looking for an online streaming service to deliver great shows on-demand in South Africa, your two best options are Showmax and Netflix.

Both have their differences in terms of resolution, pricing, and original shows, but they offer some of the newest and best shows on TV.

elf_lord_ZC5

Expert Member
Showmax still has buffering issues time to time, Netflix just streams and streams and streams, so does YouTube and Twitch.

genetic

Honorary Master
Showmax still has buffering issues time to time, Netflix just streams and streams and streams, so does YouTube and Twitch.
Showmax always works flawlessly my side. (100Mbps fibre through Cool Ideas)

Corelli

Honestly, these are all western series. Its with the Asian series where Netflix kicks Showmax to the curb for variety.

I have to say that Chernobyl is omitted, and that's on Showmax. Thats the best series ever made 9.5. Game of thrones is actually 9.4
ie
Boys over Flowers
The Heirs (Schoolkids love this show)
City Hunter
Moon Embracing the Sun
My Love from Another Sta
Doctor Stranger
The Good Doctor ---- (can really make you cry about an Autistic Paediatrician)
Legend of the Blue Sea

I do have to say Showmax is improving, but asian content is totally lacking and that swayed me to netflix.

Showmax likes to keep shows at high res, or it buffers. Netflix can drop between resolutions to improve the playability.

Honestly I like that they are both there. Way more than the other competitors. It may be worrying that Disney and HBO may want to go on it's own completely. Which means showmax may loose all their hbo and disney titles. But lets see how that goes.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Showmax always works flawlessly my side. (100Mbps fibre through Cool Ideas)
It does usually, until you want to watch something during "peak times", like this past Saturday evening. Also 100Mbps fibre, but had annoying buffering.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
They need a tax loss ...
Easiest way to get into the African market to take on Netflix globally. I recently found out they own Hotstar the biggest streaming platform in India. So it's no stretch thinking that they'll want to expand into Africa

Corelli

Most if not all the successful shows on Showmax is actually just from HBO. If HBO moves more on it's own, then there will be some problems. ie Showmax would hardly have anything.

Corelli

As for Korean shows. The guys and girls are cuter (albeit more plastic surgery).

elf_lord_ZC5

Expert Member
Most if not all the successful shows on Showmax is actually just from HBO. If HBO moves more on it's own, then there will be some problems. ie Showmax would hardly have anything.
Netflix is fast losing all its Disney content - we going to shortly have to have a couple of different subscriptions to get all the content we want. :(