The best smartphones you can buy in South Africa for under R5,000

Hanno Labuschagne

MyBroadband
Staff member
Super Moderator
The best smartphones you can buy in South Africa for under R5,000

As flagship smartphones continue to improve in quality, their price tags also become larger.

There are clear benefits that flagship smartphones offer over cheaper alternatives, but many people cannot justify spending more than R20,000 on a smartphone.

Many smartphone users may simply need a reliable device that offers decent performance and a good camera.

Flywheel

Honorary Master
Agree, I have a 6 months old Xiaomi Note 8 128gb that I bought for R4700, they go for <R4k now.

Note 9s is going for R4700 now.

Steady

performance is not everything, and Antutu is not the only benchmark
but check this out, we have a clear winner, in a league of its own (kimovil.com numbers used where available)
Redmi Note 9s 274596
Nokia 5.3 171000
Redmi Note 8 170516
Hisense Infinity H40 160-170000?
Huawei y7p159660
Huawei Y9 2019 152438
Samsung A21s 117341
Samsung A30s 107541

gottagoon

Executive Member
I humbly come in with a Nokia1. Small, cheap, well built, strong and reliable.
All for R800 at Game now.

Cheap isn't always nasty. Call clarity excellent too (I'm half deaf). Everything I post on this forum is done with this little phone :thumbsup:.

AntennaMan

Expert Member
A replacement battery for my Samsung Galaxy S9 is R1300. For that I can get at least another 2.5 - 3 years out of it.

gottagoon

Executive Member
No way I could justify spending loads of cash...or being tied to a contract with a cellphone. A guy I work here in this shithole has been robbed at gunpoint twice in 6 Months. Both phone's were big, expensive Huawei phones.

Thieves spot them and do a body search whilst holding a gun against your head.

That's when you take out your Nokia1 and throw it at the ****ers head. Phone bounces off his head and the ****ers is down for the count.

Lol. It has an element of truth. Fact is the little Nokia1 is not a phone a criminal want's to steal anyway. It's a phone that only it's user really appreciates.

In many ways like a woman who is not a beauty queen. She just has that something that makes you treasure and love her. Yea. Nokia1 not beautiful. But there is a strong heart that only a person who has been part of and experienced will know.

Gotta get off the NET now. Getting a bit pissed. Hugging my Nokia1 tightly.

:giggle: :giggle::giggle::thumbsup:

Captain Beer

Executive Member
I bought the Redmi Note 9s to tide me over until my upgrade in December. Really decent stuff for the price, in fact I'm probably not taking the upgrade anymore.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
No way I could justify spending loads of cash...or being tied to a contract with a cellphone. A guy I work here in this shithole has been robbed at gunpoint twice in 6 Months. Both phone's were big, expensive Huawei phones.

Thieves spot them and do a body search whilst holding a gun against your head.

That's when you take out your Nokia1 and throw it at the ****ers head. Phone bounces off his head and the ****ers is down for the count.

Lol. It has an element of truth. Fact is the little Nokia1 is not a phone a criminal want's to steal anyway. It's a phone that only it's user really appreciates.

In many ways like a woman who is not a beauty queen. She just has that something that makes you treasure and love her. Yea. Nokia1 not beautiful. But there is a strong heart that only a person who has been part of and experienced will know.

Gotta get off the NET now. Getting a bit pissed. Hugging my Nokia1 tightly.

:giggle: :giggle::giggle::thumbsup:
Lol 1 gig ram and 8 gig storage. You probably download 1 or 2 apps and it's full. No thanks.

wbot

Expert Member
I'm still using a Huawaii Y6 2019 32gb which i bought for just under R3k as my second phone. More than happy, excellent phone.

gottagoon

Executive Member
My idea of my ideal smartphone would have specs something like this:
1. Screen 4.5 to 5 inches.
2. OLED.
3. Mid range Snapdragon with 3GB RAM.
4. Android 1 operating system.
5. Removable battery.
6. Headphone jack.
7. 2 speakers with solid, accurate Audio reproduction and loud without distorting.
8. Excellent call clarity.
9. Strong and well built to last.

That's pretty much my ideal phone. Small enough to fit in a pocket and powerful enough too.

gottagoon

Executive Member
Oh... battery... biggest available that can fit in the phone without making everything too thick or heavy. Gotta fit in a pocket and not be like a sinker and weigh everything down :giggle:.