The best South African tech companies to work for

JStrike

Honorary Master
Vodacom is not a Tech company! They are a Telecoms company.
Accenture is not Tech company! They are a Management company.

Just because a company makes use of technology, doesn't make them a Tech company. Otherwise pretty much every company listed would be a tech company.

Please correct your article

Last edited:

DTBA

Expert Member
Coca-Cola South Africa is a tech company :? explain
A technology company (often tech company) is a type of business entity that focuses primarily on the development and manufacturing of technology

They make coke and chips :p

Last edited:

Sonic2k

Executive Member
Oh I see... another bullshyte article.

Moving along...

Archie1

Coca-Cola South Africa is a tech company :? explain
A technology company (often tech company) is a type of business entity that focuses primarily on the development and manufacturing of technology

They make coke and ships :p

The bolded companies in that list are meant to represent tech companies.

JStrike

Honorary Master
The bolded companies in that list are meant to represent tech companies.

There are only two tech companies in that list (And even then, Microsoft South Africa is a sales company. )

Last edited:

DTBA

Expert Member
The best South African companies to work for.

CraZee

Just because a company makes use of technology, doesn't make them a Tech company. Otherwise pretty much every company listed would be a tech company.

What is your definition of a tech company?

Garson007

Honorary Master
How big is Microsoft's presence in South Africa in any case? Would love to work for them, but apart from a floor in Cape Town where they hold meetings (I go there for SQL meets), I haven't really ever seen them anywhere.

martin

Expert Member
How big is Microsoft's presence in South Africa in any case? Would love to work for them, but apart from a floor in Cape Town where they hold meetings (I go there for SQL meets), I haven't really ever seen them anywhere.

They have a huge campus in Randburg across the road from Dimension Data. They have regular Developer Group meetups there with some great speakers and pretty good topics most of the time. Don't know much about them aside from that but I imagine there presence is significant.

JStrike

Honorary Master
They have a huge campus in Randburg across the road from Dimension Data. They have regular Developer Group meetups there with some great speakers and pretty good topics most of the time. Don't know much about them aside from that but I imagine there presence is significant.

Name one product they develop in SA. They are a sales and support company in SA

netcruiser

The only difference between the "best" companies and the rest is the quality of the coffee you get :p

martin

Expert Member
Name one product they develop in SA. They are a sales and support company in SA

Don't know much about them aside from that but I imagine there presence is significant. (That's in my post you quoted)

krycor

Honorary Master

You'd be surprised how much tech is developed directly or indirectly or managed development via these two. As much as their product/service is not technology based on tech developed directly internally.. they depend on it and they do a lot of work involving tech so it makes it hard. It's like saying Ericsson or NSN was a mobile hardware tech company only.. when a huge % of rnd spend is actually in software :p

loftyninja

A company that creates hardware or software and then sells it, either B2C or B2B.

And that is not my definition. It is the definition.

Meh, not so easy. What about a company like Nike that makes (made) the Fuel Band? Undeniably a tech item, are they then a tech company?

What about a company that makes neither hardware or software but provides technology services to businesses?

ttygt

That's funny, I could have sworn we were designing IT systems, coding IT systems, building and installing IT hardware, and maintaining IT systems when I worked there.

But what do I know?

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
Don't know much about them aside from that but I imagine there presence is significant. (That's in my post you quoted)

*Their

There should be a clear definition for a specific type of company when they dish out rewards if "tech company" seems this vague.