The best universities in South Africa to study Computer Science and IT degrees

simeon

Article doesn't answer the question

So the author poses the question:

But which university should a prospective student choose to get the best-quality education and degree?
...and fails to draw any conclusions from the dry marketing dump that follows. Serves me right for reading MyBB on a slow Sunday night.

For anyone actually faced with a choice, here is some free advice:

I studied with some people who got through the same three year degree programme I did (except they did it four or five years) without learning much of anything (as far as I could tell). We all got the same piece of paper at the end of it, and most employers don't care how many times you failed COS213, so I concluded that your varsity experience is what you make of it. If you want a stellar career in IT, how determined you are to grow your brain is maybe more important than the exact pedigree of your university (in SA anyway, maybe not in the US), as long as you pick one that is good enough.

So how do you know which ones are good enough?

The Wikipedia article on SA university rankings is worth reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rankings_of_universities_in_South_Africa

If you can get in (and afford it), one of the five universities in the "Red Cluster" from the 2010 CHET report (UP, US, UCT, WITS, RU) should be your first choice. No offence to anyone who studied at one of the other institutions (I don't need to troll you, others in this thread already have that covered).

Also note that the Mbeki-era university mergers resulted in some strange situations where one university might have two CS departments - so choose yours carefully ;)

Skerminkel

Expert Member
The stuff in bold do not add up. Surely you cannot call a 3 year degree a B Eng!

Wits offers a four-year engineering degree with a focus on information engineering, and accommodates 250 first-year students, annually.

The first and second year courses are standard for all Electrical and Information Engineering students. In the third year, a student has the option of choosing their curriculum in either Electrical or Information Engineering.

Degrees available include:

• BSc (Eng) Hon Electrical and Information Engineering – 4 years
  • BEng Biomedical Engineering – 3 Years
  • BEng Digital Arts – 3 Years
Engineering degrees are by definition at honours level. Anything less will not be recognised by ECSA.

simeon

Engineering degrees are by definition at honours level. Anything less will not be recognised by ECSA.
Except at UP, where they'll make you do a 5th year "engineering honours" before you can start a Masters degree, just so that they can collect the govt. subsidy ;)

Strangelove

The stuff in bold do not add up. Surely you cannot call a 3 year degree a B Eng!

They're actually BEngSci (Engineering Science)

How does the BEngSc(BME) differ from the BSc(Eng)?

The BEngSc(BME) is a three year degree that teaches students the science of engineering as it relates to Biomedical Engineering.* In its own right, it does not lead to professional registration, but has been specially designed to be followed by a professional degree in medicine electrical engineering or physics, with a minimum of wasted time.* At the moment, this degree emphasizes the electrical engineering aspects of biomedical engineering.*
The BSc(Eng) degree on the other hand, is the Wits four year professional engineering degree, which* is a prerequisite to registration as a professional engineer.* The BSc(Eng) can be undertaken in a number of branches of engineering, viz. Chemical, Civil, Mechanical and Electrical (and the various options within these branches eg. aeronautical or matallurgical engineering).* If, however, you choose to go directly into the BSc(Eng) following completion of the BEngSc(BME), then at this stage, only the electrical engineering branch can be completed in an additional two years.* The BEngSc(BME) has not yet been designed to facilitate the other branches of engineering, although this is a likely future development.

Last edited:

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
Again with the misleading title...

All I read was post graduate nonsense nothing about undergrad.

Universities turn out people that can't code, and UoTs turn out code monkeys.

Nobody wants to code above the bare minimum till their course requires it.

There are exceptions so flame me if you wish.

krycor

Honorary Master

Depends on the NQF Level.. UCT BSc (eng) is a 4 yr honors degree(NQF lvl 7) while an engineering degree at Potch, while also 4 yrs, is not (NQF lvl 6).

What's annoying is that they will make you do a honors year before you can do a MSc, UP tries too, unless you put them on their place and basically tell them you know what level your degree is (if from UCT, US) vs theirs.. and even they hesitate as it means less funding (1yr less).

What's interesting is the article spent a lot of time on wits & up and lesser on others covering lesser variations of a CS degrees at other institutions albeit they offer the same variances (eng with cs, cs with eng etc)

Another interesting thing I saw just the other day.. GIBS adjusted their entrance requirements (apparently according to SAQA recommends) to make entry into MBA a NQF level 7+ requirement and then added business course requirements at that level, ie non-business folk better get going as they may need to do a PDBA to qualify kinda upping their enrollment in that course which is costly.

I dunno to me it seems Gauteng universities are money making institutions, as degrees here cost a lot more on the post grad level than in the cape I noticed (like up to 100% more)

JStrike

Honorary Master
UCT, Wits, Stellenbosch. That is it from SA.
If you have a degree from somewhere else, your CV gets discarded

Shaun108

Executive Member
Again with the misleading title...

All I read was post graduate nonsense nothing about undergrad.

Universities turn out people that can't code, and UoTs turn out code monkeys.

Nobody wants to code above the bare minimum till their course requires it.

There are exceptions so flame me if you wish.
/Throws napalm at Da-Lion and ducks

konfab

Honorary Master
Not one word about Stellies being next door to Technopark?
Bias I say :)