The best USB-C earphones

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
The best USB-C earphones

Many smartphone makers have stopped releasing their phones with 3.5mm audio jacks as wireless Bluetooth earbuds and USB-C ports gain popularity.

For users who prefer using wired earphones, USB-C devices look likely to be the way forward – particularly with reports stating that Apple will ditch Lightning ports for USB.

sajunky

Honorary Master
Apple is not leading now. USC-C concept had a poor reception, 3.5mm jack is coming back in new phones.

rogerwe

Apple is not leading now. USC-C concept had a poor reception, 3.5mm jack is coming back in new phones.
All Apple laptop devices that have USB C also have a 3.5mm headphone jack.

All iPhones and iPad come with a lightning port, no USB C and no headph one jack because the phone comes with a free lightning to 3.5 inch jack converter.

USB C on phones is actually an Android thing. (the Pixels have had them since first release) But that’s also ok because many people prefer wireless Bluetooth headphones.

alloytoo

Honorary Master

All iPhones and iPad come with a lightning port, no USB C and no headph one jack because the phone comes with a free lightning to 3.5 inch jack converter.

USB C on phones is actually an Android thing. (the Pixels have had them since first release) But that’s also ok because many people prefer wireless Bluetooth headphones.
My Nokia 6.1 has both USB-C and a 3.5 inch socket.

InfidelGastro

Expert Member

**NEWSFLASH** NOTHING From Apple is free. Some of their overpriced gadgets may ship with a few cheap ancilliaries, but you'd better believe that you're paying tenfold for them in the final cost to you.

rogerwe

**NEWSFLASH** NOTHING From Apple is free. Some of their overpriced gadgets may ship with a few cheap ancilliaries, but you'd better believe that you're paying tenfold for them in the final cost to you.
True Dat. What I should have said was "Apple were nice to include an adaptor with all that amount Im paying". But because I have the word Apple in my post, the Apple haters are triggered and come out to nit pick. :p

InfidelGastro

Expert Member
True Dat. What I should have said was "Apple were nice to include an adaptor with all that amount Im paying". But because I have the word Apple in my post, the Apple haters are triggered and come out to nit pick. :p
Yup... but all monolithic companies are tarred with the same brush. All are purely profit driven.

system32

Expert Member
Is it just me or do USB-C connectors wear out and become loose making them a poor choice for earphones?

Not sure if this is a problem with my handset or a generic USB-C problem.
3.5mm jack much more robust.

When looking for new phone, I select a phone with 3.5mm jack.

thehuman

Expert Member
Is it just me or do USB-C connectors wear out and become loose making them a poor choice for earphones?

Not sure if this is a problem with my handset or a generic USB-C problem.
3.5mm jack much more robust.

When looking for new phone, I select a phone with 3.5mm jack.
Have same problem with micro usb , need to replace my charging cable atleast every 6 months

beans100

Honorary Master
So why is usb-c earphones more expensive than their 3.5mm counter part?

sajunky

Honorary Master
Nope. In the article you refer it is said that DAC is only one option. When implemented, it works the same as with Micro USB port.

The other option is to use DAC in the phone and analog output of the USB-C connector. Some (typically cheaper, but not always) USB-C headsets have no DAC and older 3.5mm headsets should also work when using a passive USB-C dongle. For more info read Audio Adapter Accessory Mode section in: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB-C