The best value-for-money gaming PC you can buy in South Africa

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
The best value-for-money gaming PC you can buy in South Africa

Now that the cryptocurrency gold rush is over and there is once again a good supply of graphics cards in the South African market, building a gaming PC on a budget is a lot more realistic.

The power of current-generation components means that you should be able to put together a machine that can handle any game at 1080p for an attractive price.

Fuzzbox

Expert Member
You forgot one important piece of the puzzle here.
Which OS are you using .
Add the price of the OS to get the REAL price of the Gaming PC.

Trashy

Um... I feel like you didn't add up things correctly.
Total price according to the individual prices you have listed puts the cost at R9518.

Markd

Lol. Massive fail mybb. Count again and update article from "well below 9000" to "a little under 10 grand". Let's pretend you already have a monitor. You need an OS, surely a gaming mouse, and a half decent keyboard. Then where do we sit?

ponder

Honorary Master
Which OS are you using .
Lol. Massive fail mybb. Count again and update article from "well below 9000" to "a little under 10 grand". Let's pretend you already have a monitor. You need an OS, surely a gaming mouse, and a half decent keyboard. Then where do we sit?
R300-400 for a Win 10 Pro key.

ponder

Honorary Master
A monitor is not an essential requirement, many people already have a monitor or tv.

Majority of the costings I do in the pc build thread the people don't require monitors as they already have one, others might use a tv which is not ideal but their choice. I've been using the same monitor across three different builds in the last 10 or so years.

ekske1

Executive Member
A monitor is not an essential requirement, many people already have a monitor or tv.

Majority of the costings I do in the pc build thread the people don't require monitors as they already have one, others might use a tv which is not ideal but their choice. I've been using the same monitor across three different builds in the last 10 or so years.
Ignoring the obvious, I didn't say monitor was essential.

However the article and its calculation is still incorrect.

ponder

Honorary Master
Ignoring the obvious, I didn't say monitor was essential.

However the article and its calculation is still incorrect.
That can be fixed, it's a simple error.

You can leave out the cost of the os as well as you can use linux as well, steam recently made a schiteload of win gsmes available via a translation later.

Fuzzbox

Expert Member
Yes but look who's publishing the article.
Facts don't add up again.
He probably cut and pasted from another article and once again did not check his facts.

stefan9

Executive Member
People tend to use the same monitors,kb's,speakers/headset and mouse for years. Have used the same for my last 3 builds only replacing the box.

ekske1

Executive Member
That can be fixed, it's a simple error.

You can leave out the cost of the os as well as you can use linux as well, steam recently made a schiteload of win gsmes available via a translation later.
Perhaps, but sadly this is one of those edge cases. My gaming box is my development box and I'm not going to dual boot to *nix "just because".

Thankfully proton makes up for another option over gpu pass through adventures.

People tend to use the same monitors,kb's,speakers/headset and mouse for years. Have used the same for my last 3 builds only replacing the box.
Until you need 1440p and 144hz [or more] ;)

I still need to replace my reference monitor next to my gaming lcd with something more modern. lol. Then there is the other box in the house that's due for an upgrade + new lcd.

Last edited:

ponder

Honorary Master
Until you need 1440p and 144 [or more] ;)

I still need to replace my reference monitor next to my gaming lcd with something more modern. lol. Then there is the other box in the house that's due for an upgrade + new lcd.
This is a value build, the people that build something like this are aiming at 1080p 60fps not 1440p 144Hz, the cpu and gpu simply don't cater for that. Talk about unrealistic expectations, why don't we take it a step further and pull 4k 60fps at ultra into the equation while were at it...

ekske1

Executive Member
This is a value build, the people that build something like this are aiming at 1080p 60fps not 1440p 144Hz, the cpu and gpu simply don't cater for that. Talk about unrealistic expectations, why don't we take it a step further and pull 4k 60fps at ultra into the equation while were at it...
Missed the wink at the end? ok.

ponder

Honorary Master
Missed the wink at the end? ok.
Well it's not relevant to this thread so why even mention it. With time the requirements for 1080p 60fps gaming changes with new AAA titles becoming ever more demanding.

I'm done here.

ekske1

Executive Member
Well it's not relevant to this thread so why even mention it. With time the requirements for 1080p 60fps gaming changes with new AAA titles becoming ever more demanding.

I'm done here.
Oh so no its not relevant even though I've made sure there is a visual cue to indicate that it is ok for gaming until you want more.

At this point I wonder if you are either into the OP or just likes to brown nose. Either way; it is probably better to exit the ponder-loop.

Volksieboi

Expert Member
Which OS are you using .
Windows 10 is "free"

- You still get all the updates.
- No customisation
- Persistent Activation watermark