The best Wi-Fi routers you can buy in South Africa

waylander

Expert Member
Mikrotik or pfSense + Ubnt would demolish all of these for a fraction of the cost.

Pitbull

Verboten
That's farking retarded.

Most routers are setup and forgotten about. R 5k+ for a router? I would just get a cisco router for reliability /done

Thor

Honorary Master
Get a ZyXEL router, cheapest one and hook it up to a ubiquiti AP and it will put any of those suggestions to shame.

JayM

Expert Member
These routers are daft - they're not magically going to increase the output power of your iPhone. The only effective way to cover a large house is with multiple access points with non-overlapping channels. Two Mikrotik WAP-AC devices will cost under half, support 5x the number of clients, have way more features and not look so crap.

Neo_X

Expert Member
It's almost as though their cosmetic design is a fashion statement
+100
they lost the plot somewhere - i dont want a router to display it as a piece of furniture in my home. Functionality and invisibility is much more attractive. Ubiquity for the win!

Trompie67

Expert Member
This article has stuff all to do with comparative testing of ANY routers.

So can the author (certainly NOT a journalist) explain how they ascertained "best wi-fi router" for us? Ah, specifications & "international reviews" - but why no links to these "international reviews"? :whistling:

So, this is an opinion piece. And should be highlighted as such on the article.

At best it is simply a list of some of the the most expensive routers available - without comparative shopping!

The author couldn't even cross reference results from rpm's article 2 months ago which at least had a comparison between 2 Asus units: https://mybroadband.co.za/news/wireless/213982-get-yourself-a-great-wi-fi-router-it-is-worth-it.html

Embarrassing.

Blu82

Expert Member
The Wirecutter's thoughs on this.

After completing a new round of testing, we had planned to recommend D-Link’s DIR-880L as the best Wi-Fi router for most people. But D-Link has told us that it plans to discontinue the DIR-880L before the end of this year. We still think the Archer C7 is an excellent router and there’s no need to replace it if you already have one and it’s working well for you. But we now plan to test a few more routers and publish a new version of this guide when we’ve found a suitable replacement. If you’re looking for something with a bit more power and features, we think you should get the Netgear R8000 instead of the R6400.

Source

Thor

Honorary Master
This article has stuff all to do with comparative testing of ANY routers.

So can the author (certainly NOT a journalist) explain how they ascertained "best wi-fi router" for us? Ah, specifications & "international reviews" - but why no links to these "international reviews"? :whistling:

So, this is an opinion piece. And should be highlighted as such on the article.

At best it is simply a list of some of the the most expensive routers available - without comparative shopping!

The author couldn't even cross reference results from rpm's article 2 months ago which at least had a comparison between 2 Asus units: https://mybroadband.co.za/news/wireless/213982-get-yourself-a-great-wi-fi-router-it-is-worth-it.html

Embarrassing.
I won't call them journalists...

zeroimpact

Constructive vs Commercial comments

The issue with an article like this would be aimed at your typical Incredible-Connection shopper.
The man on street that just goes and buy something without understanding all the techno jargon.

So for the CA who makes a couple of mill a year will read this and just buy the router, because why ?
The higher the price the better the product .... right ????

And hey who wants to sit a couple of hours and figure out all the tech jargon and build something up that's sustainable...
Its like most people who likes iphones ... why because you buy it switch it on and it works ... get an android and you can do way much more but to get the way much more you must love to tinker .... which in my case is my passion but my wife hates me for this because nothing is just easy and simple in the house when it comes to tech .....

anyways I would seriously like to see Mybroadband write two types of tech articles ... keep the ones like this, but do stuff for the more techie driven community .... and there is a lot of techie/tinkering types that reads these things ...maybe have a techie ranking to the articles as well so that you know what will make sense to read ... so come on guys start catering for this as well then comments will become more constructive ......

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
That's farking retarded.

Most routers are setup and forgotten about. R 5k+ for a router? I would just get a cisco router for reliability /done
Get a ZyXEL router, cheapest one and hook it up to a ubiquiti AP and it will put any of those suggestions to shame.
For distribution the Unifi wins.

For outright speed the UniFi is pretty slow.

So it all really depends on you use case and needs.

ponder

Honorary Master
The zyxel i have covers the entire property in to the street, if i needed more i'd add a ubiquiti or something.

Thor

Honorary Master
For distribution the Unifi wins.

For outright speed the UniFi is pretty slow.

So it all really depends on you use case and needs.
The Unifi is still faster than anything mentioned in that article.