The best Wi-Fi routers you can buy in South Africa

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
That's farking retarded.

Most routers are setup and forgotten about. R 5k+ for a router? I would just get a cisco router for reliability /done
The Unifi is still faster than anything mentioned in that article.
What are you smoking?

The Unifi's tap out at 450 Mbps across most of the range on 2.4 Ghz and and 800-1300 MBps on 5Ghz.

The listed Routers do 800 - 1000 Mbps on 2.4 Ghz and 1700 - 2166 Mbps on 5ghz.

That's basically double across the board for these Routers.

The only exception is the UniFi HD which does 800 / 1700 like most of these BUT it costs R5600 so more than most in the list but it's only an access point and doesn't do any routing and that leaves you with only one unit so you've basically lost the biggest advantage of the mesh technology.

So considering spec for spec these are actually pretty well priced.

I'm a huge UniFi fan but let's just compare apples with apples here.

Thor

Honorary Master
What are you smoking?

The Unifi's tap out at 450 Mbps across most of the range on 2.4 Ghz and and 800-1300 MBps on 5Ghz.

The listed Routers do 800 - 1000 Mbps on 2.4 Ghz and 1700 - 2166 Mbps on 5ghz.

That's basically double across the board for these Routers.

The only exception is the UniFi HD which does 800 / 1700 like most of these BUT it costs R5600 so more than most in the list but it's only an access point and doesn't do any routing and that leaves you with only one unit so you've basically lost the biggest advantage of the mesh technology.

So considering spec for spec these are actually pretty well priced.

I'm a huge UniFi fan but let's just compare apples with apples here.
Show me those speeds in real life usage

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Show me those speeds in real life usage
They certainly are theoretical at the upper echelon.

Doesn’t mean that the threshold still aren’t significantly higher than the Unifi.

Also there are different use cases for different numbers of users sharing the same bandwidth pool.

So if it means a higher average speed for a given number of users be Unifi still loses even if the peak values aren’t attained.

Fact is for the same R5000 odd you get more for your money with these routers than a single Unifi AP, IF that is your need requirement.

At the same time you could cater for a much larger space but a slower network for the same money going with the lower speed Unifis.

mercurial

MyBB Legend
Get a ZyXEL router, cheapest one and hook it up to a ubiquiti AP and it will put any of those suggestions to shame.
Could you share a link or two on how this would work? I'll be getting fibre soon and although I'm getting a router with it, is

mercurial

MyBB Legend
Get a ZyXEL router, cheapest one and hook it up to a ubiquiti AP and it will put any of those suggestions to shame.
Could you share a link or two on how this would work? I'll be getting fibre soon and although I'm getting a router with it, I'd prefer to get a better router. I've also read about Ubiquiti.

Edit: Okay, I've read up. Seems simple enough.

Last edited:

Zenbaas

Honorary Master
Bump.
MY Tp'link W8890 seems to be having massive WiFi issues and all devices are having issues connecting intermittently.

What would be a good recommendation for Adsl modem/router with good WiFi range (or obviously extenders.?)

Soul Assassin

Executive Member
Bump.
MY Tp'link W8890 seems to be having massive WiFi issues and all devices are having issues connecting intermittently.

What would be a good recommendation for Adsl modem/router with good WiFi range (or obviously extenders.?)
If you can still use the TP-Link as a modem and just add a router to do the Wi-Fi and you don't need Gigabit LAN I recommend the Tenda AC6.

irBosOtter

Expert Member
Mikrotik or pfSense + Ubnt would demolish all of these for a fraction of the cost.
Wifi speed a lot better on these expensive routers, but yes, if you need better coverage then a few Ubnt's will sort that out no issues

sajunky

Honorary Master
Wifi speed a lot better on these expensive routers, but yes, if you need better coverage then a few Ubnt's will sort that out no issues
I think a good coverage and seemless roaming should be considered at first place. Before open standard for wiremesh becomes common, these proprietary solutions from Ubiquity will catch many customers.

BTTB

Came here hoping to make an informed choice of router to buy and am now more confused.
Are these routers even available in South Africa.

Local reseller is offering the D-link DSL-2877AL ADSL2+ router for R648 plus VAT.

Any thoughts on what to buy out there. Makro has a bunch of Asus routers on offer too.

BTTB

Came here hoping to make an informed choice of router to buy and am now more confused.
Are these routers even available in South Africa.

Local reseller is offering the D-link DSL-2877AL ADSL2+ router for R648 plus VAT.

Any thoughts on what to buy out there. Makro has a bunch of Asus routers on offer too.
Looking at the Asus router reviewed on MyBroadband here. Sells at about double the price of the DLink, reviews talk about reliability etc.

mercurial

MyBB Legend
Would I be better off getting an AC router for my fibre or just get a Unify AP with an ac/bg/n router?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Would I be better off getting an AC router for my fibre or just get a Unify AP with an ac/bg/n router?
It really all depends on how much ground you need to cover now or in the future.

UniFi is infinitely more scale-able and adaptive.

mercurial

MyBB Legend
Thanks. Flat is 63 sqm. I opted for 100Mbps down and 25Mbps up. Just not sure which option in terms of router/AP would serve me better.