The big problem with TelkomSA-R

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Does ones speedtests show Vodacom as provider when connected to TelkomR? That's what mine show o_O

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Asked for an update on the issues subscribers are complaining about, Telkom said it was working to resolve these problems.

“We know and understand that 2G (Edge) is not the best technology for data usage,” the company said.

“We have ongoing optimisation activities to ensure that customers attach to roaming 3G and LTE in areas where we don’t have on-net coverage.”

“We are continuously optimising and expanding the network to ensure that our customers experience better connectivity,” Telkom added.

“We are not aware of battery issues, however, given that we now have access to LTE roaming, it is expected that customer devices will consume more power if they attach to LTE.”
All the while that they do not acknowledge and fix the issue , I will keep cancelling my contracts as their term ends, 1 already cancelled this month, next in October, then next in mid 2020. I'll be Telkom free after that.

Joseph matane

Am concern about Telkom LTE investment in short time, will we see Telkom upgrading 3G towers to LTE or because of this roaming agreement Telkom will lower LTE sites roll out? Am in Mahikeng and Telkom just roll out Telkom 3G last year around area's surrounding CBD, is more like 5KM radius coverage with less than 5 towers offering LTE coverage. Will Telkom continue to upgrade 3G sites or they will say we have LTE Roaming coverage?

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
People who don’t want to roam for what ever reason need to be given the option of disabling it.

Antelope

Wait

Did I miss something
Or did the response from telkom actually reply to any of the issues raised?

Or just some random unrelated statement released?

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Wait

Did I miss something
Or did the response from telkom actually reply to any of the issues raised?

Or just some random unrelated statement released?
No, you didn't miss anything, Telkom is seemingly still not acknowledging the correct issue.

richjdavies

but it should at least still work, although a lot slower than usual. not even whatsapp works on edge.
Can't even get 12 bytes through on 100s of our IOT devices (2G only).

Telkom even said they are switching off 2G in lots of places, but it's okay because their roaming partner will cover it... Now they just arent...

Can we get MTN back please?

fingerprintz.mgr

I, contrary to everyone else have been experiencing a better network since the change in and around Durban. Definitely less dropped calls, and better data coverage when travelling. Very seldom do I see roaming around Durban or surrounding areas unless the signal gets very weak. The tweaks must be pretty spot on here.

Vishi

I had the same problem for over a month. When I go into a non Telkom zone I loose signal, it does not switch over to Vodacom or Telkom R. When tried manually it says cannot register on network Vodacom except on 2g when I need my data to work off 4g. Telkom is acting dom of the situation thinking if no one complains they will just get away with it.

I have now a rain SIM for data use!!

ThinkCentre

Expert Member
...and don't mention the fun you are going to have once you want to end your contract!