• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Samsung Pay Giveaway - Win a Samsung Connect & Control Speaker and other prizes. Enter Here.
  • Audi e-tron Giveaway - Win prizes worth R3,000 Enter Here.

The Big Read: Engineers face retrenchment, struggle to find jobs

Visser

Expert Member
Civil engineers are being retrenched, graduates are struggling to find jobs and students at universities are aware they will find it difficult to find jobs, according to chief operations officer (COO) at the South African Institution of Civil Engineering (SAICE), Steven Kaplan.

“We hope the situation will turn around, it’s a difficult environment…it’s disheartening” Kaplan told Fin24 in an interview on Friday.

Government’s spend on infrastructure has been in decline since the 2010 boom for the World Cup stadia and other programmes.

FNB and the Bureau of Economic Research Civil Confidence Index has been below 20 for more than a year and more than 80% of index respondents in the third quarter of 2018 said they are dissatisfied by the prevailing business conditions.
https://www.fin24.com/Companies/Ind...e-retrenchment-struggle-to-find-jobs-20181021

ponder

Honorary Master
Lol. You just had to squeeze that in somewhere.
Truth be told it is a factor. Friend of mine applied for a senior management position in a civil engineering firm, he'd been relieving in the position for 18 or so months doing a great job at it as well. He was informed that they could not appoint him in the position because he's white and they need the BEE points for government contracts. The thing that grated his ass the most was that he had to mentor the BEE person filling the position for a year. The guy he taught was now his boss and earning way more than him purely because of his skin colour, he did not blame the guy and just kept his head up. My friend sadly died about a year later from a brain aneurysm, the guy he mentored was at his funeral though praising him for how much of a difference he made to his life. It's still not right or fair though but such is life.

creeper

Expert Member
It is worrying when the scarce highly skilled people are also losing their jobs. How bad is South Africa’s economy?

ɹǝuuᴉM

Expert Member
Truth be told it is a factor. Friend of mine applied for a senior management position in a civil engineering firm, he'd been relieving in the position for 18 or so months doing a great job at it as well. He was informed that they could not appoint him in the position because he's white and they need the BEE points for government contracts. The thing that grated his ass the most was that he had to mentor the BEE person filling the position for a year. The guy he taught was now his boss and earning way more than him purely because of his skin colour, he did not blame the guy and just kept his head up. My friend sadly died about a year later from a brain aneurysm, the guy he mentored was at his funeral though praising him for how much of a difference he made to his life. It's still not right or fair though but such is life.
Of course it is not right. Racism has not worked in the past, it is not working now and it will not work in future. South Africa is in a death spiral and the ones in charge don't even know they are sinking. Nevermind fixing things.
The apartheid government excluded blacks on the pretext of stupidity. The ANC government exclude whites on the pretext of equality. The economic crash is imminent. The question is not 'if'. It is 'when' will it happen. Enjoy the ride.

Tander

Expert Member
Of course it is not right. Racism has not worked in the past, it is not working now and it will not work in future. South Africa is in a death spiral and the ones in charge don't even know they are sinking. Nevermind fixing things.
The apartheid government excluded blacks on the pretext of stupidity. The ANC government exclude whites on the pretext of equality. The economic crash is imminent. The question is not 'if'. It is 'when' will it happen. Enjoy the ride.
Personally think it’s still and “if”. Not a “when”

Nicodeamus

Executive Member
I saw this coming right through the industy. Had I knew how dependent Civil Engineering was on government spending/politics/BEE then I would have studied something else.

skimread

Executive Member
It's sad that government spends so much training civil engineers but then they can't get employment.
Also sad for them as they have to work so much harder than everyone else at varsity because their coursework is so much more.

Cius

Expert Member
When the economy downturns building and construction are generally one of the hardest hit spaces. We do have a lot of construction going on in niche areas of the economy like Sandton, Umhlanga, etc but for civil eng students to get work you need a growing economy. I am guessing we will see an exodus for the next while or civil's using their math skills in different professions.

konfab

Honorary Master
Usually there's a high demand for civil engineers in developing countries!
That is because they borrow themselves silly on infrastructure projects.

The economic policy underlying these trends had increasingly been micro-managed by Erdoğan since the election of his AK Party in 2002, and strongly so since 2008, with a focus on the construction industry, state-awarded contracts and stimulus measures, while neglecting education and research and development.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_currency_and_debt_crisis,_2018
Gee I wonder what that sounds like: :unsure:

To achieve this, R400bn (about half of existing medium-term public infrastructure spending) will be centralised in the presidency in a new SA Infrastructure Fund. The private sector will be invited to enter into partnerships with the government in how this money is spent.
https://www.businesslive.co.za/fm/f...-stimulus-plan-just-what-the-economy-ordered/