The Big Read: Engineers face retrenchment, struggle to find jobs

jack_spratt

Expert Member
Truth be told it is a factor. Friend of mine applied for a senior management position in a civil engineering firm, he'd been relieving in the position for 18 or so months doing a great job at it as well. He was informed that they could not appoint him in the position because he's white and they need the BEE points for government contracts. The thing that grated his ass the most was that he had to mentor the BEE person filling the position for a year. The guy he taught was now his boss and earning way more than him purely because of his skin colour, he did not blame the guy and just kept his head up. My friend sadly died about a year later from a brain aneurysm, the guy he mentored was at his funeral though praising him for how much of a difference he made to his life. It's still not right or fair though but such is life.
No, its complete insanity.

grok

Honorary Master
Well what did you expect, the Zupta's are stealers of bricks, not layers thereof..

Oh and decolonization, going back to pre-colonization & thus development times.

dlk001

Executive Member
It happens all around the world, industry job demand goes up and down.

Technology will also have a negative impact on many niche professions like engineering.

Seriously

Honorary Master

Technology will also have a negative impact on many niche professions like engineering.
Hell. I like how some use the same excuse all the time when the shirt hits the fan.
How is mining doing?

BeVonk!

Executive Member
We are living in times when the old models of education have become obsolete. Getting or having a degree will not guarantee employment any more. An entrepreneurial spirit, flexibility, life-long-learning and innovation are important ingredients now. The ability to re-invent yourself is essential. Take what you studied and expand that as quickly as possible into every direction possible. Never ever assume that you will have the life of generations that came before you. Live frugal. Be prepared to take chances. Be willing to start over a few times. It's a new world.

Visser

Expert Member
We are living in times when the old models of education have become obsolete. Getting or having a degree will not guarantee employment any more. An entrepreneurial spirit, flexibility, life-long-learning and innovation are important ingredients now. The ability to re-invent yourself is essential. Take what you studied and expand that as quickly as possible into every direction possible. Never ever assume that you will have the life of generations that came before you. Live frugal. Be prepared to take chances. Be willing to start over a few times. It's a new world.
Not really.

A proper education and degree will guarantee you a job in Western countries.

What you have said above is true for South Africa. Degrees are becoming worthless locally. Education is a laughing matter. Yes, none of this will give you a job in a few years, because there will be no more big companies employing people. South Africans need to become use to poverty because this is all that awaits every single person who stays here.

Those who can leave the country should do so, even if it is just for the future of their children. Those who can't leave, well.... tough titties for them.

buka001

Expert Member
I saw this coming right through the industy. Had I knew how dependent Civil Engineering was on government spending/politics/BEE then I would have studied something else.
Yip. Hence why when I saw an opportunity in the UK, I grabbed it.

Knyro

PhD in Everything
Not really.

A proper education and degree will guarantee you a job in Western countries.

What you have said above is true for South Africa. Degrees are becoming worthless locally. Education is a laughing matter. Yes, none of this will give you a job in a few years, because there will be no more big companies employing people. South Africans need to become use to poverty because this is all that awaits every single person who stays here.

Those who can leave the country should do so, even if it is just for the future of their children. Those who can't leave, well.... tough titties for them.
Have you left yet?

konfab

Honorary Master

You cannot do modern structural engineering without the finite element analysis tools that technology has enabled. CPU speed alone has increased the productivity of engineers by several orders of magnitude.

dlk001

Executive Member
Hell. I like how some use the same excuse all the time when the shirt hits the fan.
How is mining doing?
Mining industry around the world is generally not doing well. Some commodities fare better than others. Future Engineering/Science jobs in mining/civil will also be impacted by technology improvements.

Last edited:

dlk001

Executive Member
You cannot do modern structural engineering without the finite element analysis tools that technology has enabled. CPU speed alone has increased the productivity of engineers by several orders of magnitude.
Yes indeed, and CPU speed has enabled us to do 3-Dimensional Numerical Modelling including discrete modelling.

Now, we are venturing into automated data collection - lab analysis - strength parameters - implicit modelling and stability analysis - reporting.

Drake2007

Expert Member
Nothing new, Civil Engineering in this country is a balls up, it's all left now to the cowboys, and now we're seeing the results where construction sites collapse and kill people.
Glad I got out if that industry many many moons ago.