The "big" reason why the Nokia N8 has HDMI out

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/n8-symbian-prince-persia-ovi,news-8166.html

Nokia, still the world's largest phone maker, has launched its new Symbian^3 super device that will go up against the iPhones and Androids in its segment.

While it Symbian^3 may not have the youthful chops of the iOS or Froyo, the latest Nokia N8 handset has some very impressive hardware features.

The camera can capture 12MP images with its Carl Zeiss optics. You can edit photos and videos on-screen on the 3.5-inch AMOLED glass display and choose from multiple ways to share them, as well as transferring them to an external hard-drive with USB-on-the-go.

Besides just being a really decent camera phone, the N8 also features HDMI out so that it can be plugged into an HDTV. The audio outputted supports Dolby Digital Plus Surround Sound too.

Nokia did a showoff of this capability and used the N8 to project video onto the world's biggest cinema screen. The screen, which measured 1428m2 (width 51m and height of 28m) was hit with light from four 140kg projectors, which were hooked up to a N8 as the media player.

No, Steve, you can't do that cause you don't have HDMI out.

Keeper

Honorary Master
....has launched its new Symbian^3 super device that will go up against the iPhones

hopefully THIS TIME they will get it right.

sheesh, how long have they been trying to beat the iPhone anyway?

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
You have it wrong, the iPhone has never had the lead, Nokia's Maemo line has always kicked the iPhones ass. Now its just time for Symbian to do the same before it retires :cool:.

Keeper

Honorary Master
You have it wrong, the iPhone has never had the lead, Nokia's Maemo line has always kicked the iPhones ass. Now its just time for Symbian to do the same before it retires :cool:.

so then, why do they always claim they "Are going against the iPhone" over and over, year after year?

Mars

Honorary Master

:rolleyes:

Edit: I must actually just remember to ignore anything Roux posts in regard to phones.

Keeper

Honorary Master
To lap it - again.

Ah....

so how many times to they have to have a phone that will go against the iPhone or is more well known as it's "iPhone Killer" - how many times do they need to kill that damn thing is basically what i'm asking you?

I mean, if they already overtook the iPhone, why do they keep mentioning it?

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Because it is the perceived market leader. People think it is great because every moron can use it and thinks because every other moron has one it must be the best. They don't care for being boxed into apple, after all, thats a good thing right?

LancelotSA

Banned
so then, why do they always claim they "Are going against the iPhone" over and over, year after year?

They don't, the many bloggers and internet "journalists" out there are the ones who always feel the need to do the comparison. And the naive public lap up everything that is said without questioning the validity of any of it.

Gizmondo (I think it was) is sitting with egg on their face because of a rushed review that concluded that the iPhone camera is far superior to the N8. Subsequent comments have referred to many other comparisons done on the net showing that the two cameras are hardly even comparable. In hindsight it appears Gizmondo, or whoever it was, actually had no idea what they were doing.

The fact that people can even try to compare the N8 to the iPhone is laughable. It is the American mentality of needing everything spoon fed to them. "Oh woe be me, Symbian is so complex, blah blah blah...". This seems to be the only criteria and everything else is ignored (HDMI, xenon flash, dolby digital, free onboard GPS navigation, FM transmitter etc etc etc etc etc). "...but but it is sooooo pwetty"

HapticSimian

Honorary Master
Fixed?

Or should perhaps be "disappointed that I have an fruit" ? :p

Nooit dude, I'm not of the fruity brigade. I can see the value of BIS but Blackberry hardware sucks balls, and the whole iPhone thing doesn't appeal to me in the least. Android, thanks. ;)

Carbon_Fibre

Expert Member

The word at the latest nokia conference was that symbian is not dead. They're definitely not going android ever and will use meego in a limited number fo phones

UnUnOctium

Expert Member
If you simply compare the flagship nokia phone at the time of the release of any iPhone, you'll pretty much see that Nokia has had more features consistently. What the iphone has on Nokias is looks. For some people, a phone is about what you can do with it rather than who you can show it off to.

Let the flames begin.

HapticSimian

Honorary Master
This we can agree on. Whipping out the latest iFruit is the telecoms equivalent of tootling through Sandton in a BMW X6. But that guy across the intersection in his Land Rover 110? He knows you're just trying to compensate for something, and that wet grass would have your car completely stumped.

LancelotSA

Banned
If you simply compare the flagship nokia phone at the time of the release of any iPhone, you'll pretty much see that Nokia has had more features consistently. What the iphone has on Nokias is looks. For some people, a phone is about what you can do with it rather than who you can show it off to.

Let the flames begin.

Well I am in total agreement, and anyone who as ever bothered to actually research a phone should be.

Just found one of the few decent reviews on the N8 :

To give you a sense of my take on the device and what you can expect below, let me state that the N8 is clearly the best Nokia Nseries device ever made and is the Nseries device that Nokia and Symbian users both deserve and will appreciate. I honestly doubt that many iPhone or Android owners will be switching to the N8 because the Symbian^3 OS is not familiar to them and is not as intuitive as either of these new flashier operating systems. MeeGo may serve the role as the new OS to take these one, but the N8 should keep all of the existing Symbian owners satisfied and the hardware is so good that others may actually give the device a chance.
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/cell-phon...a-n8-a-smartphone-symbian-fans-will-love/4766

...and for those sceptics who think I am saying decent just because it is fairly positive, give this a read :

Out of all the smartphones we’ve seen in the past year, we think the Nokia N8 is one of the best, combining bullet-proof build quality with a stunning set of features. Some reviews aren’t so complementary, however, but perhaps there’s a bias. Read on to find out more…

GSM Arena agrees, pointing out that perhaps the reviewers haven’t given the Nokia N8 a fair chance, “and go a bit too far with their criticism”. They go on to cite Engadget as an example, highlighting a Nokia N8 Vs Apple iPhone 4 camera shootout piece where the cameras are supposedly pitched head to head. The problem is, half of the Engadget photos taken on the Nokia N8 aren’t even in focus, handing the Apple iPhone 4 an unfair advantage.

GSM Arena also points out Eldar Murtazin as another example. Eldar has already slammed the Nokia N8’s operating system following a play with a pre-production unit with unfinished firmware – and despite not offering any real criticisms in his piece, it was finished with a scathing conclusion.

Read all about the bias here : http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n8_gets_lots_of_stick_in_early_reviews_we_wonder_why-news-1973.php