The BMW 320d Fanboy Thread

mmbuna

What about engine longevity of the beemer compared to its rivals? I've heard they're not reliable after 150 000 km's. Do you own one?
On my E90 I was on 240 000km+ and no probelms, I am on 160 000km+ on my F30 now and also no problems. Family members also on 2nd or 3rd 320d without any issues at all... most reliable BMW out there(right next t o the 330D).

nazmo

Expert Member
On my E90 I was on 240 000km+ and no probelms, I am on 160 000km+ on my F30 now and also no problems. Family members also on 2nd or 3rd 320d without any issues at all... most reliable BMW out there(right next t o the 330D).

One of my good friends a senior mechanic at BMW. owns an old 330D. said BMW Petrols are effing terrible cars. wouldnt touch their petrol engines ever. rebuilds/replacements are as frequent as doing a pollen filter.... So the diesels arent just the most reliable BMW. its the ONLY reliable bmw

ChrisThomas

I'd often get sub 4l/100km on my drive home from JHB CBD to Midrand - on the M2 ring road. I also drove from JHB to Durban, around Durban for a few days and all the way back to JHB on one tank, got about 1300km out of it just using cruise control to avoid the average time camera fines. 320D F30 auto.
WhatsApp Image 2022-03-29 at 5.07.04 PM.jpeg

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
I am not a 320d fanboy right now...

Just got in my car and instantly get a charging failure and then the engine starts to overheat as well so I'm expecting a nice chunky repair bill for whatever the fsck is wrong.

ToxicBunny

Has to be user error.
I could be all nasty in response... ain't no damn pebkac at play here...

Looks as if the belt for the alternator and thus water pump is not spinning from my 5 minute in the petrol station diagnosis...

epah

Executive Member

Looks as if the belt for the alternator and thus water pump is not spinning from my 5 minute in the petrol station diagnosis...

Let’s hope it’s a cheapish fix.
giphy.gif

6spdmanual

Expert Member

You’ve had your F30 for a little while now. Might be time to look at the G20?

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Lovely in theory but it's still a moerse price jump to get out of a F30 320d (any variant) into a G20 320d. Prices be whack.

Reactions: BBC

ToxicBunny

Yussie, nort... I ain't paying that kind of crown for a set of wheels...

I reckon it will cost me one months repayment on a G20 to get my F30 all fixed up.

ToxicBunny

Fook me, no.. not even a months repayment on a similar spec G20 to mine...

WTAF, how do people even vaguely afford these fscking things anymore?

Even with a crazy balloon payment the repayments are over R11k a month :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

• Wow
Reactions: BBC

6spdmanual

Expert Member
Fook me, no.. not even a months repayment on a similar spec G20 to mine...

WTAF, how do people even vaguely afford these fscking things anymore?

Even with a crazy balloon payment the repayments are over R11k a month :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:
Doesn’t have to be new. Get a decent launch edition plus the trade on your F30 and you’re in business. 9K per month max.

ToxicBunny

Doesn’t have to be new. Get a decent launch edition plus the trade on your F30 and you’re in business. 9K per month max.

Fsck that... I'm from Durban and a witou.. 9k a month on a second hand car? you're smoking your socks there.

ToxicBunny

it’s not second hard - that’s dirty language.

It’s “pre-owned”.

Did you miss the witou part?

I don't buy into the pre-owned/pre-loved nonsense... its second hand... I shop for second hand cars at the old Drive-In car sale :p