The boom of mobile means the future of PC is uncertain

Drunkard #1

Expert Member
Same article, different ****.

To misquote Livingstone, "Rumours of the PC's demise are greatly exaggerated."

Now can you please stop publishing every doomsday-prophet-attention-whore's version of the same wrong article.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Nobody imagines that the PC will ever die. I'll never give up my PC. But the profitability of big business is what's at stake. 40% of US teens have iPhones; 44% have tablets and of those 72% are iPads. That is the trend of computing and it's indisputable. If you don't make it in the highly mobile space, you are going to become increasingly squeezed out of business.

Nicko

Expert Member
I personally believe that this is just temporary as smartphones, and tablets are new and exciting. Give it a year or two once the innovation and improvements of smartphones has stagnated, then I expect the sales will decline again and PC will regain market share again.

Nobody imagines that the PC will ever die. I'll never give up my PC. But the profitability of big business is what's at stake. 40% of US teens have iPhones; 44% have tablets and of those 72% are iPads. That is the trend of computing and it's indisputable. If you don't make it in the highly mobile space, you are going to become increasingly squeezed out of business.

Just side comment, why did you quote those statistics specifically? Just seems odd that you would quote stats pertaining to Apple products rather than to the Smartphone and tablet market as a whole.

Mouse

Expert Member
I personally believe that this is just temporary as smartphones, and tablets are new and exciting. Give it a year or two once the innovation and improvements of smartphones has stagnated, then I expect the sales will decline again and PC will regain market share again.

I think all these people rushing out to buy tablets that are new and exciting, will realise they don't really need PC's, and will settle into a 2 year tablet upgrade cycle similar to cellphones. The PC industry will then have to depend on business use (this probably won't change much) and high end gaming for sales. I specified "high end" gaming because I think the crowd that plays Crysis etc will still buy PCs while the the rest would be better served on tablets and consoles.

cerebus

Honorary Master
You think the fastest growing segment of computing is a fad? Think most people actually want to spend their money on a full fat bloated desktop because they can't live without Office and Adobe Suite? You're off your rocker. Desktop won't ever really die but consumer dollars are heading straight towards mobile.

Just side comment, why did you quote those statistics specifically? Just seems odd that you would quote stats pertaining to Apple products rather than to the Smartphone and tablet market as a whole.
1) Because I read them this morning on Gruber's blog so I had them fresh to hand. 2) Because iPad is the elephant in the room in this story. Android on tablets may or may not survive Windows8.

Maverick Jester

The Special One
1) Because I read them this morning on Gruber's blog so I had them fresh to hand. 2) Because iPad is the elephant in the room in this story. Android on tablets may or may not survive Windows8.

I dunno, I think that the Android tablet market just needs a tipping point... The Nexus 7 was a good start (albeit it very late in the day) but a tablet with the capability to worry the iPad is required. I think that Android 5.0 will change the tablet game (or at least I am hoping that it does :)).

I mean, can you do this on an iPad (thought you might like this given that you have the Sony tablet now):

[video=youtube;uSugZ9wFivw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSugZ9wFivw[/video]

falcon786

Honorary Master

Because he is the biggest isheep on the forum spreading his bulls....er i mean ikoolaid..... but doesn't own an iphone even.:D

Seriously though he is obsessed with Apple and needs help.

cerebus

Honorary Master
I dunno, I think that the Android tablet market just needs a tipping point... The Nexus 7 was a good start (albeit it very late in the day) but a tablet with the capability to worry the iPad is required. I think that Android 5.0 will change the tablet game (or at least I am hoping that it does :)).

I mean, can you do this on an iPad (thought you might like this given that you have the Sony tablet now):
There's a ton of stuff I can't do on the iPad that I can do on the Sony. It doesn't mean I still wouldn't hands-down prefer an iPad3 over any Android tablet in existence.

Here's The Verge's review of the current best (IMO) Android tab, the Asus Transformer Infinity yesterday:
But actually, that's the underwhelming thing: the Jelly Bean upgrade didn't solve the performance, lag, and stuttering issues that are all too endemic to Android. The Infinity still lags a bit when launching or closing apps, and scrolling in the browser is still pretty clunky. Everything's better, for sure, and thanks to the 1.6GHz Tegra 3 processor this is as capable a gaming tablet as I've used. Still, the Infinity's general performance still lags behind the iPad's fluidity and smoothness, and even that of the Nexus 7.
Of course, you could probably preload every single good tablet app onto a tablet and it still wouldn't qualify as "a lot of bloatware." It's surprising, and a little worrisome, that after all this time there are still so few good tablet apps for Android devices. Twitter and Rdio are total eyesores, Netflix is slow and buggy, and there are a lot of apps that simply don't exist on Android. (Games are one of the few bright spots, and are pretty well-represented in the Play Store.)

Android is always just around the corner from being useful on tablets. I'm not holding breath. Hardware manufacturers are losing money hand over fist and Microsoft is wooing and bribing app makers desperately.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Because he is the biggest isheep on the forum spreading his bulls....er i mean ikoolaid..... but doesn't own an iphone even.:D

Seriously though he is obsessed with Apple and needs help.
No you're right, Apple isn't at all the biggest single threat to Microsoft. I shouldn't have mentioned them. How stupid of me.

falcon786

Honorary Master
No you're right, Apple isn't at all the biggest single threat to Microsoft. I shouldn't have mentioned them. How stupid of me.

Yeah any excuse to post pro-Apple drivel.Typical cerebus.
I see your buddy JStrike has gone quiet lately...you must really miss him.:crying:

Maverick Jester

The Special One
There's a ton of stuff I can't do on the iPad that I can do on the Sony. It doesn't mean I still wouldn't hands-down prefer an iPad3 over any Android tablet in existence.

Here's The Verge's review of the current best (IMO) Android tab, the Asus Transformer Infinity yesterday:

Android is always just around the corner from being useful on tablets. I'm not holding breath. Hardware manufacturers are losing money hand over fist and Microsoft is wooing and bribing app makers desperately.

But the above mentioned Nexus 7 had a rather positive review by The Verge:

This isn’t just an excellent tablet for $200, It’s an excellent tablet, period Google’s Nexus 7 isn’t just an excellent tablet for $200. It’s an excellent tablet, period. In fact, it’s the first Android tablet that I can confidently recommend to buyers — and not just because it’s got a low price tag (though that certainly helps). It’s a well-designed, powerful, and useful product, with lots of bells and whistles that makes it feel like a device that should be more expensive than it is.

There are still issues that need to be addressed — particularly around growing the tablet app footprint and expanding content offerings — but I don’t think those are deal breakers. The Nexus 7 delivers way more functionality than I expected, and it delivers it in a package that’s sleek, smart, and affordably priced.

Believe it or not, the last time I was surprised by a product with those same qualities, it was called the iPad.

So if ever it were a time to hold one's breath on Android tablets, now would be it I think... Especially as other places consider iOS as the platform under threat:

Bottom line
There are two ways to look at the iOS 6. One is that Apple favored a cautious, conservative approach over real innovation. The most prominent new feature it brings (the new Maps) is actually a step back from iOS 5. You can say that while Android has caught up in terms of user experience with its Project Butter, iOS is trailing behind in terms of functionality.

We didn't get any sort of widgets, the lockscreen is still underused, there're no improvements to the Notification Center or proper multitasking. The Springboard is also starting to look dated now, having seen virtually no design changes in the last 5 years. It's not like it's perfect and improvements are impossible.

The other train of thought is based on the realization that iOS 5 was already a pretty solid effort and some polish is more than enough to keep it competitive. The latest iOS release, just like its predecessor, works very well. It covers all the essentials, on top of being impressively fluid and responsive, and offering plenty of value-adding features.

Siri can now open apps and navigate you, and generally be of more service. The new Maps is far from perfect, but still adds voice-guided navigation for over 50 countries. Do Not Disturb also deserves a mention as it gives users even more control over their privacy and the new Panorama feature is really neat and well working.

The same can be said about Facebook integration, which came a couple of years too late but was well worth the wait, working seamlessly within iOS 6.

The truth, as always, is somewhere in the middle. While iOS 6 is probably falling behind the curve, it's certainly not lost its appeal, or edge. Far from it. It was never meant to entice power-users the way Android does.

Windows Phone on the other hand - a platform that's fundamentally closer to iOS in terms of ideology - is something that may push Apple out of their comfort zone. There's been a huge leap forward with the release of WP8 but Microsoft is still at some distance. Just not quite as safe for Apple as it used to be.

The iOS 6 will be able to stand its ground for a good while but probably won't be able to win new territory quite as comfortably, unless Apple goes back to its creative self.

daveza

Honorary Master
Just can't see myself playing Call of Duty on an iPhone.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Yeah any excuse to post pro-Apple drivel.Typical cerebus.
I see your buddy JStrike has gone quiet lately...you must really miss him.
I've no idea where you developed this obsession with me but it's rather creepy and monomaniacal.

But the above mentioned Nexus 7 had a rather positive review by The Verge:
Yep the Nexus7 was the one tablet that reaffirmed the possibility for Android to compete. But that was more because of the rock-bottom pricing for the sheer outstanding build quality and specs than the quality of the OS - well, Project Butter also helped a lot. If they're going to continue to compete on the floor of pricing it's not going to help them in the long run either.

Ok put it this way then: if Win8 came into a market without the iPad, I think it would be able to become the dominant tablet/laptop/pc platform without too much of a struggle. Nobody really doubts MS's OS-development chops. And Android would just continue improving and being a good alternative to MS. It's the existence of the iPad that threatens their ability to penetrate tablets and mobile significantly.

falcon786

Honorary Master
I've no idea where you developed this obsession with me but it's rather creepy and monomaniacal.

Nah its not with you,but rather with your constant pro Apple babble,Sorry but I try to not let you brainwash people.

JStrike did it too and I started calling him isheep because of the itroll that he is and I will do the same to you as long as you keep up this obsession with promoting Apple for no apparent reason.....or maybe I'm missing the reason......You got me thinking now actually,do you work for CORE group or something maybe....hmmmmm :whistling:

The funny part is I'm an iphone 4s owner but don't behave like you,your bias is very obvious to anyone with half a brain cell even.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Why should I care what you say about me you weird obsessive little oddball? Even if I do debate largely on the side of Apple, which I won't dispute, I manage to do so without resorting to personal insults or throwing temper tantrums like your pathetic outburst. So isn't it healthy to have someone who is pro-Apple to debate against?

Last edited:

cerebus

Honorary Master
He's certainly not the only one to notice your massive iBoner.

I've never tried to hide it, have I? Doesn't stop me using any device I feel like quite happily, and still doesn't make any of my arguments any less valid. It certainly doesn't warrant personal attacks.

Last edited:

Maverick Jester

The Special One
Yep the Nexus7 was the one tablet that reaffirmed the possibility for Android to compete. But that was more because of the rock-bottom pricing for the sheer outstanding build quality and specs than the quality of the OS - well, Project Butter also helped a lot. If they're going to continue to compete on the floor of pricing it's not going to help them in the long run either.

That is a bit unfair to the Nexus 7. A number of reviews have taken the time to point out that it is an excellent device, augmented further by its low price. Which is why I said that it is a good starting point for Android tablets, hugely belated though it is.

Ok put it this way then: if Win8 came into a market without the iPad, I think it would be able to become the dominant tablet/laptop/pc platform without too much of a struggle. Nobody really doubts MS's OS-development chops. And Android would just continue improving and being a good alternative to MS.

Well, that would be poetic justice wouldn't it? :)

It's the existence of the iPad that threatens their ability to penetrate tablets and mobile significantly.

I think this depends hugely on the ability for Apple to further innovate the iPad. Or rather, actually innovate it. But milking the Apple loyalists has done well for them thus far... and Android OEMs are not going to keep offering up below par tech forever. Will be interesting to see how Apple react.