The Cash In Transit (CIT) Robbery Thread


Expert Member
Jan 3, 2021
Sometimes I don't even know where to start with you, you honestly don't see the difference in a special task force project that has been carefully planned with prior intelligence on the target compared to a random ambush of a lone former special task force member in a totally different environment without all the resource he would have if he was in the police service?

But, don't start. First off, members of the STF often do single person operations. Such as collecting and bringing back dangerous suspects from abroad to South Africa, and yes, on commercial airliners, often without the public even knowing this.

90% of their most dangerous work happens very suddenly, and in all these cases where they are urgently deployed, in none of them do they have time to prepare. Preparation and continuous training, often 18 hours a day, when they are on shifts, are what they rely on.

Lastly, you will hardly ever have seen a whole STF group deployed to any incident. Perhaps in today's police service, but pre-2000, not a chance. It was more common for them to rather deploy 2-4 members to any scene and keep the rest of the group at their base. They used to keep their operations small, clean, fast and deadly.

And, again, coming back to this incident, this single person was more than enough to handle all the robbers. He's proven it. They decided to flee when they saw he waited for them and they had resistance from him. Probably the best decision they could have made on that day. It has saved their lives.
Last edited:


Expert Member
Sep 8, 2005
He wasn't supposed to be the driver. It was a last minute change. Glad though, as Leo's well qualified.
Can't go into it more.


Expert Member
Mar 24, 2010


Honorary Master
Mar 26, 2010
Security guards implicated in KZN cash heist

DURBAN - Three security guards are among four suspects nabbed for a cash-in-transit robbery on the N2 in KwaZulu-Natal last month.

The four, aged between 31 and 60, are expected to make their first appearance in the Harding Magistrate's Court later today.

Hawks spokesperson in KZN Captain Simphiwe Mhlongo said on April 30, two armoured vehicles had been travelling from Port Shepstone to Kokstad after collecting cash from a depot.

More at: