• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

The cheapest 4K TVs you can buy in South Africa

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Definitely. The difference between HDR10 and Dolby Vision is very noticeable to me.

I suppose if you've never watched anything in DV, you wouldn't know any better. But if you have, it's hard to go back to HDR10...
Dolby Vision has only been the miracle it claims to be...in their own videos.

In all other things I honestly have had more issues with it than benefits.

Like Ozark having strange artifacts in DV, but being just fine (and looking identical) without DV.

Richard Morse

What is your goal with these walls of text?
My advice is for the person buying a cheap 4K TV

When buying a 4K TV don't buy a 30fps one for streaming 4K, it is not the same thing as a 60fps 4K TV with HDR, but it will work perfectly for a 720p DSTV HD decoder,

Dont let technical people confuse you, you want but may not be able to afford, a 40mbps line if you want to see the best Netflix picture for your new 4K TV cost = R1450pm from Telkom all in plus 4K Netflix subscription.

If you chose a 20mbps line, you will lose some functionality intermittently but still have a picture quality that is 4 times better than DSTV HD, you will only be able to play youtube 60fps content at 1440p resolution and will only be able to stream free stuff from international servers at 720p using KODI

When buying a cheap 4K TV for streaming buy a Samsung or LG which are fully integrated or make sure that
the TV is running Android TV as the smart TV operating system, failure to do this may mean you end up buying an Apple TV box or an Android TV box which increases the cost of your TV

Last edited:

Chuckmyster

Bought my Sinotec 55" Smart UHD tv last year from Game for R5950 and happy with the picture.
Only streaming SD on it and it looks ok, FHD on external harddrive, not a bad telly for under R6k
Gay remote and super gay mouse that comes with it, threw the mouse in the bin on day 1
Netflix rocks on it, fast navigation.
only have a 5Mb uncapped line at the moment

Richard Morse

Good point, "Is HDR worth it", the overhead is about 1.5mbps but on YouTube is only included with 60fps codecs making it a premium option that sits on top of the other premium option = using 60fps codecs which means that 2160p on YouTube with HDR uses 29mbps today and 22mbps after AV1 is implemented

Last edited:

Richard Morse

Bought my Sinotec 55" Smart UHD tv last year from Game for R5950 and happy with the picture.
Only streaming SD on it and it looks ok, FHD on external harddrive, not a bad telly for under R6k
Gay remote and super gay mouse that comes with it, threw the mouse in the bin on day 1
Netflix rocks on it, fast navigation.
only have a 5Mb uncapped line at the moment
I just got a refund 2 days ago for my old Sinotec 50" with the Netrange portal, I had side loaded a very old version of netflix (the current version will not work on the old Sinotec TV's). I am glad to see the back of Android 4.2.2 KitKat and Netrange portal, the streaming gods have blessed me, the power supply failed on the Sinotec 50E6000M three times and Sinotec refused to repair it the third time, prior to this the TV worked well for 2 years, but Makro gave me a 5 year guarentee so I got a full R 6,999 refund which I invested in a UA58NU7100K Samsung 58" HDR currently on special at Makro for R9999, R3,000 well spent.

Chuckmyster

I just got a refund 2 days ago for my old Sinotec 50" with the Netrange portal, I had side loaded a very old version of netflix (the current version will not work on the old Sinotec TV's). I am glad to see the back of Android 4.2.2 KitKat and Netrange portal, the streaming gods have blessed me, the power supply failed on the Sinotec 50E6000M three times and Sinotec refused to repair it the third time, prior to this the TV worked well for 2 years, but Makro gave me a 5 year guarentee so I got a full R 6,999 refund which I invested in a UA58NU7100K Samsung 58" HDR currently on special at Makro for R9999, R3,000 well spent.
Brilliant news
Yup, as they say, if you buy cheap you buy twice.
I dont expect this puppy to last long, but I do run my entire lounge off my 1000VA UPS with 2x105aH Truck batteries. Don't trust eskoms spikes one bit

Richard Morse

Brilliant news
Yup, as they say, if you buy cheap you buy twice.
I dont expect this puppy to last long, but I do run my entire lounge off my 1000VA UPS with 2x105aH Truck batteries. Don't trust eskoms spikes one bit
Yes when SIntotec refuse to repair, they will give you a note to take to who you bought it from who then claim a refund from Sinotec as part of their monthly account reconciliation, so Sinotec end up refunding the device to the retail outlet in this case Makro.

Last edited:

Richard Morse

So every HDR title on Netflix is 60fps?
The title is not 60fps the frame rate refers to the codec stored in the container, each title has a .MOV container which contains multiple codecs that the Netflix player can choose from (see the ITU codec list for HEVC)

I have seen the behaviour of youtube (when on auto bitrate) and it changes resolution rather than drop functionality, it will select the HDR codec at lower resolution rather than the non HDR codec at higher resolution.

>>> if YT initialises at 1080p vp9.2 HDR due to a busy line on a 20mbps service = Codec 335, it will increase and decrease resolution within the same 33x codec group and go up to 336 = 1440p

>>> Netflix works differently to YouTube in South Africa Netflix uses a fixed ladder of bitrates inside which the codec must fit, so what you get from the codec varies as you go up and down the bitrate ladder, sometimes you get higher frame rates sometimes you don't, as you go up resolution stays the same while you gain functionality and better picture quality at that resolution, before it starts again at the next highest resolution until it gets to 2160p at 60fps with Dolby 5.1 and HDR which uses the maximum available bitrate.

Last edited:

Chuckmyster

I will enjoy Netflix one day at an awesome bitrate of 1650Mb/s in Prores4444XQ @ 25fps in UHD shot with an ARRI Mini. That's 742GB/h. With a REC2020 LUT thrown in of course please. Beautiful Gamut. That's 8 minutes of footage in 128GB flat. Much like a Bugatti Veyron filling the tank of fuel and then flooring it, it will run out of petrol in 12minutes (according to Jeremy Clarkson (I think, it was a Top Gear episode years ago)).
ARRIRAW OpenGate is 4:3 (delivering anamorphic) @ 24fp/s (max frame rate is 30fps) which is 2.16GB/s is my 1st place but my telly won't be able to transcode that RAW info when it arrives, :laugh:. Crash burn overheat blow a few capacitors haha. (Sorry I have been drinking quite a bit tonight.)

Need to upgrade my uncapped line @ home, my 5Mb line only does 'SD' Netflix. Oh well, just live with it. Back in the day all we had was analogue VHS and SABC, so glad to still be alive in this new digital world. Especially the streaming part - and to be honest I know fokolli about streaming content and how it works. I just make movies/commercials with top end equipment.

But we/me are going off topic here, the question was 'The cheapest 4K TVs you can buy in South Africa':)

Richard Morse

Check what they have online at Makro.co.za and then search for the model numbers on google, google will throw in some other models that markro doesn't stock and there you have it, double check Loot and Takealot for specials on the model you want and you won't go far wrong.