The cheapest smartphones to buy in SA

markings

Expert Member
8 Gb, even 4 Gb storage. Where do these people live? IMO 16 Gb is the absolute minimum anyone, 32 Gb if one wants to use the phone reasonably well.

eg2505

Honorary Master
ram size is all less than 1GB, isnt that so slow?
wpnt they barely open anything these cheapy phones?

gamer16

Honorary Master
8 Gb, even 4 Gb storage. Where do these people live? IMO 16 Gb is the absolute minimum anyone, 32 Gb if one wants to use the phone reasonably well.

Just install everything to the SD.

ld13

Honorary Master
I thought network locking was banned?

TL;DR
The regulator made waves/started looking into it, with the plan to 'ban' it. The networks stop doing it, so the regulator did not see the need to follow through.

Welcome to South Africa.

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
TL;DR
The regulator made waves/started looking into it, with the plan to 'ban' it. The networks stop doing it, so the regulator did not see the need to 'ban' it anymore.

Welcome to South Africa.
Worst mistake I ever made was buying a Vodacom network locked phone. They make it impossible to update, so it becomes a huge security hole.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master

See below, the amount of storage is matched to the Android version, and user expectations.

Just install everything to the SD.

Apps won't run properly from the SD on Android 6 and earlier, and these cheap phones won't run the latest Android.

Do these phones run Android or Android-Go?

Mostly Android 5 on 1GB RAM, many of these phones are 2017 era.

IMO the best 'cheap' phone is a used one.

Last edited:

Flywheel

Honorary Master
The cheapest "useable" phone in my opinion is this 'ere for R1 999.

konfab

Honorary Master
Mostly Android 5 on 1GB RAM, many of these phones are 2017 era.

IMO the best 'cheap' phone is a used one.
Disagree there.
I bought my mom a Nokia 1 for R999 when it came out. It still gets regular updates and is on Android 10.

Smartphones age like milk without software updates.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
The cheapest "useable" phone in my opinion is this 'ere for R1 999.

Almost usable:

Disagree there.
I bought my mom a Nokia 1 for R999 when it came out. It still gets regular updates and is on Android 10.

Smartphones age like milk without software updates.

I posted simultaneously. The Nokia 1 is not listed in the OP article.

I had a choice between a new cheap phone, and a used one with a 13MP camera. Not a difficult decision...

BTW, I use Windows 98 and XP on my two desktop PCs, so I have a very different approach to software updates.

Last edited:

Everyones-a-Wally

Honorary Master

konfab

Honorary Master
Almost usable:

I posted simultaneously. The Nokia 1 is not listed in the OP article.

I had a choice between a new cheap phone, and a used one with a 13MP camera. Not a difficult decision...

BTW, I use Windows 98 and XP on my two desktop PCs, so I have a very different approach to software updates.
You can do that with those operating systems because they actually shipped in a working condition.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Just buy a 16gig sd card and format as internal storage. Works great on my U40 Lite. Got 500 songs saved offline and still have 12gig left over. This phone only has Android 8 go so you'll get even more storage with 10 Go.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Just buy a 16gig sd card and format as internal storage. Works great on my U40 Lite. Got 500 songs saved offline and still have 12gig left over. This phone only has Android 8 go so you'll get even more storage with 10 Go.

Sounds like a sweet-spot, with just a little effort. Not the cheapest, and not the most featured, but the most flexible setup.