The Corsa problem solver

Hi Dimpie

Thanks for your video. I do everything up to about 2:30 (the below) but at that point the "gold looking mechanism" does not click into place and just jumps back ...

View attachment 1690023

Just check if it's not related to the steering lock ... Im not sure if the steering lock should be on or off ?:unsure:

they make it look so easy ... press down and "click" :)

Last edited:
"Just check if it's not related to the steering lock ... Im not sure if the steering lock should be on or off ?:unsure:"

How do I check if the steering lock should be on or off? As it is, the steering lock is "off" and the steering wheel turns freely. I even tried to turn the steering wheel while pushing down on the "locking mechanism"

"they make it look so easy ... press down and "click" :)"

Indeed - but what does one do if it it doesn't, and now I cannot install the replacement barrel :(

"Just check if it's not related to the steering lock ... Im not sure if the steering lock should be on or off ?:unsure:"

How do I check if the steering lock should be on or off? As it is, the steering lock is "off" and the steering wheel turns freely. I even tried to turn the steering wheel while pushing down on the "locking mechanism"

"they make it look so easy ... press down and "click" :)"

Indeed - but what does one do if it it doesn't, and now I cannot install the replacement barrel :(

Any ideas?

damn man im sorry, it seems so simple when i see videos, haven't done it myself, but i see multiple people have your issue and no clear solutions.

Where about are you based?
I'm in Pretoria

Since this "tab" has to do with the steering lock, I'm even willing to - if it is possible - completely remove it and not have a steering lock. I have enough other security options ...

There is probably multiple 1000s years' cumulative experience on Corsa B, Corsa Lite, Corsa C and the Utility based on the Corsa B and C represented on this forum.

Surely somebody somewhere has had this issue before and found a solution or someone assisted to devise an innovative workaround?

Try turning the steering wheel 180 degrees - when pushing down the u shaped clip, try turning the steering wheel to help lock it in place. Not a fan of q20/wd40 inside ignitions, but maybe give it some lube.

^ Looked at numerous videos and read a few forums, can't seem to find an answer for you :(
Hi Dimpie

Thank you for trying to assist .. I have left if for next weekend but if it persists I will (as per one of the UK forums' advice) have to get a complete new steering column - hopefully from a breaker's yard.

Try turning the steering wheel 180 degrees - when pushing down the u shaped clip, try turning the steering wheel to help lock it in place. Not a fan of q20/wd40 inside ignitions, but maybe give it some lube.

I had tried all the options - turning while pushing down, steering locked and unlocked before pushing down etc. It just seems that the "latch mechanism" is absent or damaged, and the spring is too strong. I even tried a drop of superglue (on the extreme right, outside of the barrel shaft) while "jammed" in the down position, in an attempt to keep it down while pushing in the new barrel, but the spring was too strong (or my desperate use of superglue was too cautious?).

I had tried all the options - turning while pushing down, steering locked and unlocked before pushing down etc. It just seems that the "latch mechanism" is absent or damaged, and the spring is too strong. I even tried a drop of superglue (on the extreme right, outside of the barrel shaft) while "jammed" in the down position, in an attempt to keep it down while pushing in the new barrel, but the spring was too strong (or my desperate use of superglue was too cautious?).
Big Hammer?

Big Hammer?
Not a big hammer but big and some serious words and a large dose of patience that I never knew I had ..

.. but I got it to stick ONCE by fiddling with what appears to be the defunct or broken latch mechanism on the left-hand pillar.

ONCE was enough - phew! Touch wood there will not be a problem with the ignition lock for the remainder of the little ute's useful life.

(PS if it has ears, it probably heard that I threatened it with a breaker's yard and decided to stop playing hardball) :)

Thanks for all (moral) support and attempts to assist!

Not a big hammer but big and some serious words and a large dose of patience that I never knew I had ..

.. but I got it to stick ONCE by fiddling with what appears to be the defunct or broken latch mechanism on the left-hand pillar.

ONCE was enough - phew! Touch wood there will not be a problem with the ignition lock for the remainder of the little ute's useful life.

(PS if it has ears, it probably heard that I threatened it with a breaker's yard and decided to stop playing hardball) :)

Thanks for all (moral) support and attempts to assist!

Congrats on the success :giggle:

Model: 2010 Corsa D Essentia

Issue: 'Knocking'/'clunking' sound from the left front when driving over uneven road surfaces and going over bumps. Noticeable only at low speeds. I cannot 'feel' anything when it does it, so no vibrations or anything coming through. Wheel alignment seems to have gone out as well. Aside from the sound and alignment being off, everything else feels fine.

My suspicion: Worn suspension bush(es)?

Has anybody else experienced something like this before?

Issue: 'Knocking'/'clunking' sound from the left front when driving over uneven road surfaces and going over bumps. Noticeable only at low speeds. I cannot 'feel' anything when it does it, so no vibrations or anything coming through. Wheel alignment seems to have gone out as well. Aside from the sound and alignment being off, everything else feels fine.

Had an issue when I first bought my E, the front shock was faulty. Would have a knock occasionally but usually was fine. Eventually I was able to replicate it by lifting and squishing the front of the car by the wheel arch.

So, possibly a faulty shock, though I'd check the shock mounts as well.

Could be the "Link Stabilizer" .... they usually cause that knocking sound ...

Could be the "Link Stabilizer" .... they usually cause that knocking sound ...

Turns out, it was the left-front link stabiliser.

But get this; Friday the driver-side window winding mechanism (manual) broke, so when I booked the car in to have the knocking sound sorted out I asked them to replace the window winding mechanism as well.

Link stabiliser + labour: R1700
Window winding mechanism: Over R9000 from the agent! Goldwagen doesn't have any in stock and my mechanic cannot source any from the other aftermarket suppliers he uses.

So, anybody know where to find a manual window winding mechanism other than trawling scrapyards?

EDIT: I've tried Bumper To Bumper, Motor City Spares and German Spares West. They can all assist with an automatic regulator, but not manual. Apparently this model with the manual windows was only out for about a year and thus spares are incredibly scarce.

Last edited:
Back