The Covid-19 Homemade Baked Bread Thread

Snyper564

Executive Member
Hope you bought more than one 2.5kg.
Only had 1kg bags bought 4

But my local Spar was fully stocked again today with 2.5kg bags

Must say my local spars are doing a great job at restocking ww is great as ever as well pnp in a joke

Last edited:

konfab

Honorary Master
Made Ciabatta over the weekend.

Perfect because it did not last two days all gone on Saturday. Mistake though. The recipe calls for bread flour, but used cake flour and had some difficulty getting the consistency right. Also, made one loaf instead of two ---> tricky to get the really nice big bubbles. Mixed in the olives and for once they were pretty evenly distributed throughout the loaf.
I have been making ciabatta like crazy. And I have been making them with cake flour since I bought a 10kg pack before the lockdown.

I have been having fairly good success with them. I have found two things to be absolutely necessary:
1) You need a very wet dough, so you probably need a mixer with dough hooks to knead.
2) You need a tub with straight walls to raise the dough in. I am using a 5l ice cream tub.

The square tub allows the dough to come out without breaking too many air pockets.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Great advice. Agree, you don't want the bubbles to collapse. Had to dig out the big food processor with the more powerful motor and dough hooks.
The other piece of advice I have is smaller loaves are better than larger ones.
We have run out of olives. So, the ciabattas are now no longer possible.
We buy the buckets once a year in CT. Green olives dont work as well as the black ones.

SAguy

Executive Member
I have been making ciabatta like crazy. And I have been making them with cake flour since I bought a 10kg pack before the lockdown.

I have been having fairly good success with them. I have found two things to be absolutely necessary:
1) You need a very wet dough, so you probably need a mixer with dough hooks to knead.
2) You need a tub with straight walls to raise the dough in. I am using a 5l ice cream tub.

The square tub allows the dough to come out without breaking too many air pockets.
I find that using wet dough in my mixer (Kenwood Chef) is also tricky. The dough tends to start sticking to the bottom and then just a small portion of the dough is actually kneaded. Any suggestions?

Herr der Verboten

Executive Member
Hey all, with all the other Covid threads flying around thought lets add this to the mix. Many people trying their hands at baking now. With all/most the yeast gone people are now trying their hands at sourdough. I think many of us myself included will be happy to share our starters once lock-down is over.

So why not sure tips here, show us your loaves (not like we going anywhere anyway)

Here are some of the videos that helped with sourdough and some non sourdough recipes:

Starter

OR

Bread

Or

Super market - White loaf

Pizza

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMfOyJeIz8c&t=480s

Buns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTGSUYMu6Ns

Bagels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8j-ZUp7KD0

Enjoy and lets have some fun!
/checks in

Making my first wild yeast bread as we speak.

Cereal_Killer

Forging
Going to try my hand at making steam bread.
Some ladies in the office make them now and then, works great with some saucy foods

Cereal_Killer

Forging
Came across this, good read

maumau

Honorary Master
Came across this, good read

Remember the pics, steam makes all the difference.

Which method are you using - cast iron Dutch oven?

janplank

So we have these guys baking artisan bread in our town(vanderbijlpark), Bread Republic. They make the best sourdough bread. All kinds of them. Today I had the Black Malt battard. It contains roasted malt that gives it the dark colour. Looks strange but delicious. Out of this world. Try them if you can.
c280b5457e0333d38b828eaf4715d94e.jpg
13ad8afce2000166365d2cc5df7be440.jpg