The Craft Beer Thread

Jitters

I bought the pale ale and wes kus lager, poured both out. Im done with kennel they either have a persistent infection or they are burning their wort.

Everything they make has a burnt rubber taste to it. It's a pity as they have the best recipe ideas but I cant anymore and at R35-R40 a can its not worth it.

This porter is even more expensive isnt it?

Sorry for my rant. Im just dissapointed.

Snyper564

Executive Member
I bought the pale ale and wes kus lager, poured both out. Im done with kennel they either have a persistent infection or they are burning their wort.

Everything they make has a burnt rubber taste to it. It's a pity as they have the best recipe ideas but I cant anymore and at R35-R40 a can its not worth it.

Their recipe ideas are like the way I brew at the moment. Multiple micro batches for as much variety as possible.
Its a shame tho as I was likely going to order from them but it's a bit steep if the batches ruined.

Maybe contact them? Especially if they small craft Brewery might be feedback they need

abudabi

Expert Member
Craft breweries around Howick/Hilton that are worthwhile visiting? Google maps shows:

Happy Days Brewery
Nottingham Rd Brewery
Balgowan Brewery
Lion's River Brewery

Bit further but maybe worthwile?
1000 Hills Brewery
Stumpnose Brewery

Any suggestions on which ones to visit?

Last edited:

menticide

It's called autolysis; basically the burnt rubber flavour comes from the mass death of yeast cells. Its similar to what happens with yeast cells in the production of marmite; some regard it as an umami style flavour; one you either love or hate... in a beer its however not by design, and points to a big problem with their fermentation process, more than likely a secondary fermentation issue or it could be due to a problem related to the storage of their bottled / canned brews.

You should contact them; this most certainly would classify as a quality problem.

Last edited:

MightyQuin

Not amused...
Had some nice beers today before a Whisky and rum tasting...

20210930_144500_resized.jpg
20210930_144529_resized.jpg
20210930_150752_resized.jpg

This stout is one of the best I have ever had.

PS. To morrow night is the launch of the first Nitro Stout in SA:

Dominus Nocte...

A "Folk&Goode" and "The 400 Brewing Company" collab. Launched at AfroCaribbean...

Gonna be awesome!!

mbayshark

Expert Member
Well done Bokke!
Some lekker Aegir Project beers to get through this afternoon.
c8dda814c1b8065a89f34f48940585d4.jpg

Jitters

Had some nice beers today before a Whisky and rum tasting...

View attachment 1157440
View attachment 1157442
View attachment 1157444

This stout is one of the best I have ever had.

PS. To morrow night is the launch of the first Nitro Stout in SA:

Dominus Nocte...

A "Folk&Goode" and "The 400 Brewing Company" collab. Launched at AfroCaribbean...

Gonna be awesome!!

Its not hemel and aarde has a nitro stout in a bottle. Don know how they did it but they were first.