The Craft Beer Thread

MightyQuin

Not amused...
Supporting local breweries and brewers.
Some very interesting once off brews and collabs...looking forward to these. Especially the Nitro White Stout.

20211118_084838_resized.jpg

Snyper564

Honorary Master
Listened to a talk by Apiwe a while back they keen to try getting beer tourism up.

So popped to the site https://www.beerroute.co.za and saw what was in the area we visiting and popped into Brewhaha and had some of their beer trying my best to support local when not brewing myself and also getting inspiration. I had their phantom tap which was chocolate milk stout seriously one of the best I have had a pity its not bottled but great if you Jbay side. Will try do a few more breweries Eastern cape side also any recommendations?

20211120_132105.jpg

SukkaFoo

Expert Member
Listened to a talk by Apiwe a while back they keen to try getting beer tourism up.

So popped to the site https://www.beerroute.co.za and saw what was in the area we visiting and popped into Brewhaha and had some of their beer trying my best to support local when not brewing myself and also getting inspiration. I had their phantom tap which was chocolate milk stout seriously one of the best I have had a pity its not bottled but great if you Jbay side. Will try do a few more breweries Eastern cape side also any recommendations?

View attachment 1197520

RHBC in PE. Beyond that sadly the eastern cape isn’t really swimming in outstanding breweries

Snyper564

Honorary Master
Another super yummy beer!

I'm seeing many more craft breweries brew fest beers, they should just do it all year round no need to make it a seasonal beer - I get that it's a authentically seasonal beer in Germany but we not limited by tempreture etc which is why it was brewed that way in the first place.

I'll see if I can ignite some interest in the breweries this side.

Screenshot_20211120-200535_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

mbayshark

Expert Member
eba82f20a8d4d094719a9c6951e30834.jpg

Snyper564

Honorary Master
A bit of a pet hate I have with some of these online vendors, is the quantity they "force" you to buy of each brew.
When you have a big selection, why not allow people to buy a "sixpack" ?
Agreed a case is a lot to buy if you not enitely sure what you getting. These are quite easy to get Gauteng but good to see it's more readily available

MightyQuin

Not amused...
Agreed a case is a lot to buy if you not enitely sure what you getting. These are quite easy to get Gauteng but good to see it's more readily available
True...these beers have been around forever actually. I think they're just cutting out the middleman...i.e. screwing all their resellers.

Snyper564

Honorary Master
True...these beers have been around forever actually. I think they're just cutting out the middleman...i.e. screwing all their resellers.
Yup! It's a pity it's the cans only though. Their small brown bottles are a treat to reuse for bottling homebrew.

Jitters

Thanks for that, that's a pity though.

I'm going as far as knysna before heading back.
Can highly recommend Red Bridge brewing in knysna. Super chill dudes and they love talking beer.

The other one close by Knysna is sedgefield brewing but I did not enjoy their beers. They recently upgraded so quality will improve but I had some of their old stock and there is defintely a low level infection there.

Also really do stop at RHBC of you can. I enjoy what they do. Fever dream is an awesome black IPA

Snyper564

Honorary Master
Ok some feedback from Plett.

I can highly recommend Barringtons photos arnt the best but their beers are seriously good.

Had their full taster of

Lager, German fest beer, Italian pilsner, IPA, Weiss, pale ale, English ale

All really good. Apparently the the lager and pale ale are the only bottled beers at present. So I guess pop in here if you in Plett.

Not only was the beer great their food was fantastic check out their website. Restaurant feels like a cross of Chamonix in Franschoek and Babel at Babelonstoren. Relaxed fine dining at not dining prices. Everything was an absolute treat.

20211121_203355.jpg
Screenshot_20211121-204758_Gallery.jpg

Aquadyne

Expert Member
Thanks all for sharing your experiences.

Just bought a few cases based on recommendations here.

https://www.bestcraftbeer.co.za/

Went for:
2x cases (24) of Ultimix November
Contents:
3 x Devils Peak "JUICY LUCY" NEIPA 5.5% (330ml) New bacth, new packaging!
3 x Jump Brewing "ENDLESS VIBRATIONS" Brut IPA 5% (330ml)
3 x Afro Caribbean "JUNGLE PARADISE" IPA 7% (330ml)
3 x Afro Caribbean "SESSION 157" 3.5% (330ml)
3 x Afro Caribbean "HOP SESSION" 4.5% (330ml)
3 x OC Brewery "THE GREAT BRUTSKI" Specialty Lager % (440ml)
3 x OC Brewery "THE SOOTHSAYER" IPA 6% (440ml)
3 x OC Brewery "MONKS TIPPLE" Belgian Tripel 9% (440ml)

1x case (8) Black Mamba Imperial Stout
Contents:
4 x Black Mamba Imperial Stout (keg aged) 440ml
4 x Black Mamba Imperial Stout (port barrel aged) 440ml
dcf11416ad56ec5277f69e5560ad9252.jpg

Snyper564

Honorary Master
Hey guys so I want to share what I believe is a really special off the beaten path brewery.

I present Cloud7 in Fisanthoek just just outside Plett

There isn't much that you will find online about this craft brewery but I guarantee that if you make the trip it will be worth it. Different yes. Awesome/amazing/fantastic beer Yes!

All their beer was really good but their Irish red ale and stout was something really special.

It's unlikely that you have ever been to a brewery like this but keep an open mind it will be worth it!

I think you might be able to organize delivery, Derek was super accommodating and although typically only open on the weekend as he is a metal worker made the exception for us to pop in and we're glad he did.
20211123_130919.jpg
20211123_132749.jpg
20211123_135028.jpg

Last edited:

MightyQuin

Not amused...
Hey guys so I want to share what I believe is a really special off the beaten path brewery.

I present Cloud 7 in Fisanthoek just just outside Plett

There isn't much that you will find online about this craft brewery but I guarantee that if you make the trip it will be worth it. Different yes. Awesome/amazing/fantastic beer Yes!

All their beer was really good but their Irish red ale and stout was something really special.

It's unlikely that you have ever been to a brewery like this but keep an open mind it will be worth it!

I think you might be able to organize delivery, Derek was super accommodating and although typically only open on the weekend as he is a metal worker made the exception for us to pop in and we're glad he did.
View attachment 1199522
View attachment 1199520
View attachment 1199518
Chatting to Derek as we speak. thanks for this info. Also posted this link for him on WA.