The Craft Beer Thread

SukkaFoo

Expert Member
Noooooooo! And I wanted to try it - sad face

To be honest. I didn't ask just looked in the fridge and for sure not on tap. Can ask the owner if there's anything stashed at the back somewhere. That being said the beers are all great and the seasonal pumpkin ale is really good. And I don't like pumpkin beers

Snyper564

Honorary Master
To be honest. I didn't ask just looked in the fridge and for sure not on tap. Can ask the owner if there's anything stashed at the back somewhere. That being said the beers are all great and the seasonal pumpkin ale is really good. And I don't like pumpkin beers
I saw that, not a fan either but keen to try theirs will see what I can lay my hands on tomorrow!

Snyper564

Honorary Master
Hoppy IPA with a slight roastiness in the back of your throat.
Interesting, that's the thing with using roast or black patent barley you can impart the black color using absolutely minimal grain and have a touch of roastiness.

Jitters

Interesting, that's the thing with using roast or black patent barley you can impart the black color using absolutely minimal grain and have a touch of roastiness.
Havent done it myself but alot of people either add the roast grain at the end of the mash or they cold steep it. They say either reduces the roastiness and just adds color.

I've never tried as I like my stouts etc roasty

SukkaFoo

Expert Member
Havent done it myself but alot of people either add the roast grain at the end of the mash or they cold steep it. They say either reduces the roastiness and just adds color.

I've never tried as I like my stouts etc roasty

They are using carafa special I believe. Specifically sinamar I think

Jitters

They are using carafa special I believe. Specifically sinamar I think
Intresting. Thanks for that. Bit difficult to get sinamar at the homebrew level, beerplus is the only place that I know that sells(see its out of stock now) and its in 5L containers bit much for me.

Would like to give it a go someday and make a proper black IPA.

Snyper564

Honorary Master
Whilst I wait to take off I'll quickly pop in my reviews.

So went to Tsitsikamma Micro Brewery this morning.

Set in a beautiful location but beer was just so so nothing really jumped out at me. If you in the area I think pop in but not much more to say.

20211127_104142.jpg

Now RHBC on the other hand - Wow! What an awesome location! What awesome beer! And what an awesome surprise in our last stop enroute to the airport!

Had the beer taster and every beer they had was really awesome! Grabbed the Irish red ale, Saison, pumpkin ale. Think I will be ordering some more online. They Def don't have the black ipa left unfortunately. I asked thrice.

I would actually recommend popping into RHBC if you ever flying out PE 5 min drive to the airport and you can get pizza there to they have a bit of a collab with the pizza place next door.

20211127_153929.jpg
20211127_160518.jpg

Thanks all for the recommendations was a real treat seeing many of these breweries in person and discovering what I think were some hidden gems especially Fisanthoek Cloud7 with @Shanti1971 (Derek)

So when you travel don't forget to check

Last edited: