The crazy story behind the appointment of the SARS IT head

3WA

Executive Member
All well and good, but what DID she do for Moyane? Surely she didn’t sleep her way to the top (*shudder*). What did she have to offer Moyane?

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Protection from himself.
Yeah with his weakness and traits he probably insisted on appointing the ugliest of the lot.

I bet 99.99% of all anc appointments are incorrectly made by rather having a cadre sheep than a person who knows what they doing and should be done and with some sort of ethics.

tRoN

Executive Member
I would love to hear the Nugent commission discussion or even a transcript.
Any idea if it’s available

Daruk

Honorary Master
And yet SARS can give me bad advice and then penalize me for following that advice. Then ignore my requests for having the penalty squashed despite having a reference to the original call with them. SARS needs to be privatized.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
It is a process, you can't just fire her, unless you feel the taxpayer to pay her more on top of the money she is already earning? We will be footing the bill when she takes SARS to court.
100%...

But given her lack of experience, and performance it should be a simple process to get her contract terminated....

konfab

Honorary Master
And yet SARS can give me bad advice and then penalize me for following that advice. Then ignore my requests for having the penalty squashed despite having a reference to the original call with them. SARS needs to be privatized.
Private tax collection?

Realistically though, SARS could be scrapped by implementing a transaction tax on all electronic transfers (including atm withdrawals and deposits). The banks simply manage all of this and revenue collection for the entire country boils down to two numbers: the % rate on transactions and the % rate on cash withdrawals and deposits.

j4ck455

Executive Member
Shortly after her appointment it was recommended that the remuneration at which she was appointed, R2,207,078, should, at her request, be increased by 42.23% to R3,139,126.

That big salary increase was approved by Moyane the following day.
Anyone else wondering if that person has hidden and extraordinary talents similar to a high priced hooker?

Daruk

Honorary Master
Private tax collection?

Realistically though, SARS could be scrapped by implementing a transaction tax on all electronic transfers (including atm withdrawals and deposits). The banks simply manage all of this and revenue collection for the entire country boils down to two numbers: the % rate on transactions and the % rate on cash withdrawals and deposits.
Surefire way to have all transactions cash. The Taxi industry would love this.

IMO just introduce 25% VAT across the board and cut income tax from the equasion completely. A larger basket of Vat exempt goods and you're good to go.

konfab

Honorary Master
Surefire way to have all transactions cash. The Taxi industry would love this.

IMO just introduce 25% VAT across the board and cut income tax from the equasion completely. A larger basket of Vat exempt goods and you're good to go.
People can already avoid tax anyway with cash. This just formalises it.

The nice thing about doing it like this is that it has some elements of progressive taxation. An auntie living in Mitchells Plain isn't going to use electronic payments as much as a hipster living in constantia. The poorer parts of the economy pay zero tax for all intents and purposes. Most businesses will pay tax as the convenience of electronic payments would be worth the small amount of tax.

InfidelGastro

Expert Member
Now that was I long winded way of saying that someone whose qualifications aren't even sufficient to qualify her as a house maid, but was politically connected, got her the job. I certainty hope that she has been shown the door by now.

Cray

Honorary Master
People can already avoid tax anyway with cash. This just formalises it.
This - As someone who handles cash for a non-profit it's amazing how certain people will only ever settle their accounts with cash.