• MMusi saw this poll and resigned.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • Epstein didn't kill himself.

Votes: 23 11.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cosmik Debris

Expert Member
Yes, when I go read the posts in that thread I definitely get the impression they were all very unwilling. I get that not everyone was able to avoid being conscripted though. Fact is though that many men did refuse to cooperate with the NP government. Really, apartheid lasted 40 years and for a long time white people thrived. That could only happen with the cooperation of a lot of people!

I was completely willing to serve in the SADF. However, I was highly critical of the NP. Especially as I served with white, black coloured and Indian colleagues and we could only drink together in SADF bars,.

Really, apartheid lasted 40 years and for a long time white people thrived.

Did black people thrive during apartheid? Did they have a better quality of life than under the ANC present day?

JuliusSeizure

Did black people thrive during apartheid? Did they have a better quality of life than under the ANC present day?

No, there might have been one or two that were given privileges by the NP but the vast majority lived in poverty and overall, their quality of life was much worse than today with far less in the middle class.

Cosmik Debris

Expert Member
No, there might have been one or two that were given privileges by the NP but the vast majority lived in poverty and overall, their quality of life was much worse than today with far less in the middle class.

Really? Refute these facts then:

Under apartheid:

Mandela managed to get a lawyers degree and many other blacks like Steve Biko qualified professionally.

Ten black Universities were built during Apartheid.

The black education budget was increased by 30% every year.

65% Of black South African children were at school, compared to Egypt 64%, Nigeria 57%, Ghana 52%, Tanzania 50% and Ethiopia 29%.

71% Of black adults in South Africa could read and write, compared to Kenya 47%, Egypt 38%, Nigeria 34% and Mozambique at 26%.

15 new classrooms were built for blacks, every working day, every year.

The black population grew from 8 million to 27 million.

56% Of the annual budget was spent on blacks.

Black living standards rose by 5.4% per year.

Soweto had 115 football fields, 3 Rugby fields, 4 athletic tracks, 11 Cricket fields, 2 Golf courses, 47 Tennis courts, 7 swimming pools built to Olympic standards, 5 Bowling alleys, 81 Netball fields, 39 children play parks, and countless civic halls, movie houses and clubhouses, 300 churches, 365 schools, 2 Technical Colleges, 8 clinics, 63 child day care centres, 11 Post Offices, and its own fruit and vegetable market.

There were 2300 registered companies that belonged to black businessmen, about 1000 private taxi companies. 3% of the 50,000 vehicle owners in 1978 were Mercedes Benz owners. Soweto alone had more cars, taxis, schools, churches and sport facilities than most independent countries in Africa. And more private vehicles than the entire white population of the USSR at the time.

Only blacks were allowed to use Baragwanath Hospital, the then biggest state of the art hospital in the world, with 3200 beds and at its peak had almost 8000 staff and 23 operation theaters.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Really? Refute these facts then:

Under apartheid:

Mandela managed to get a lawyers degree and many other blacks like Steve Biko qualified professionally.

Ten black Universities were built during Apartheid.

The black education budget was increased by 30% every year.

65% Of black South African children were at school, compared to Egypt 64%, Nigeria 57%, Ghana 52%, Tanzania 50% and Ethiopia 29%.

71% Of black adults in South Africa could read and write, compared to Kenya 47%, Egypt 38%, Nigeria 34% and Mozambique at 26%.

15 new classrooms were built for blacks, every working day, every year.

The black population grew from 8 million to 27 million.

56% Of the annual budget was spent on blacks.

Black living standards rose by 5.4% per year.

Soweto had 115 football fields, 3 Rugby fields, 4 athletic tracks, 11 Cricket fields, 2 Golf courses, 47 Tennis courts, 7 swimming pools built to Olympic standards, 5 Bowling alleys, 81 Netball fields, 39 children play parks, and countless civic halls, movie houses and clubhouses, 300 churches, 365 schools, 2 Technical Colleges, 8 clinics, 63 child day care centres, 11 Post Offices, and its own fruit and vegetable market.

There were 2300 registered companies that belonged to black businessmen, about 1000 private taxi companies. 3% of the 50,000 vehicle owners in 1978 were Mercedes Benz owners. Soweto alone had more cars, taxis, schools, churches and sport facilities than most independent countries in Africa. And more private vehicles than the entire white population of the USSR at the time.

Only blacks were allowed to use Baragwanath Hospital, the then biggest state of the art hospital in the world, with 3200 beds and at its peak had almost 8000 staff and 23 operation theaters.
Sounds like an Etienne_marais special.

Cosmik Debris

Expert Member
No and no

So there was 30%+ unemployment during apartheid? And why were foreign blacks streaming to the apartheid state negotiating deadly electric fences and man eating lions to seek employment in that brutal state which had a labour shortage?

Any answers?

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Refute the claims made with some facts then. Or can't you or any of your sycophants?
Let me explain how it works.
Firstly you are way off topic, but supposed you were in the right thread and wanted to argue the quality of life now compared to the good old days, you will first have to start by defining quality of life, after you have done that you can put forward your argument with a detailed comparison showing why you think the quality of life was better back in the good old days.

What you have just done is to get useless information and dump it here asking for it to be refuted, Mandela managed to get a law qualification back then, Lamola also got one under the ANC and so did many others, it's a fact but a useless fact that serves no purpose.

Last edited:

Cosmik Debris

Expert Member
Let me explain how it works.
Firstly you are way off topic, but supposed you were in the right thread and wanted to argue the quality of life now compared to the good old days, you will first have to start be defining quality of life, after you have done that you can put forward your argument with a detailed comparison showing why you think the quality of life was better back in the good old days.

What you have just done is to get useless information and dump it here asking for it to be refuted, Mandela managed to get a law qualification back then, Lamola also got one under the ANC and so did many others, it's a fact but a useless fact that serves no purpose.

Who took it off topic? Wasn't me. I just answered the deflection, side stepping and obfuscation. Have a chat with @C4Cat for the derail and @JuliusSeizure for adding to it. I only answer and question, I never deflect, side step or obfuscate.