• MMusi saw this poll and resigned.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • Epstein didn't kill himself.

Votes: 23 11.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheChamp

Honorary Master
The DA is totally useless, they have a golden opportunity to win over voters that sick and tired of the ANC but they fight each other about meaningless degrees.
It's not meaningless, there was a position of Mayor of CT in the mix, it's a big deal.

Last edited:

zolly

Expert Member
The DA is totally useless, they have a golden opportunity to win over voters that sick and tired of the ANC but they fight each other about meaningless degrees.

Do you live in the WC and travel to other provinces? To say the DA is totally useless means you must live in a bubble or not visit ANC run areas if you live in the WC, or are in certain regions like George/Knysna where political fighting is the main focus.

I moved to the WC in 2007 and I'm glad I did. I visit KZN and it boggles the mind how certain areas have basically just completely collapsed.

I do not love the DA (I think their social housing program is problematic), but I have voted for them, and let's be entirely honest here: the DA is judged by a completely different standard than the ANC. This may be due to racial perception or historical loyalty, but the ANC keeps on stealing, lying, and failing, and most people keep on voting for them. Meanwhile, the DA runs a relatively tight ship, and people nit-pick them about little things despite the fact that they run the most prosperous regions in the country.

The fight about "meaningless degrees" is not so meaningless. We all know politicians can be liars, but when they are caught out, there should be consequences, as there have been in this case. Better to have a mayor who at least has his qualifications than not.

TheChamp

Honorary Master

Pretoria - The mayor of a cash-strapped Limpopo municipality is facing charges of fraud after allegedly claiming more than R20 000 in travel allowances even though she had used a state-owned vehicle for the trips undertaken.

Modimolle-Mookgophong mayor Marlene van Staden claimed for a travel allowance in three batches during the 2019/2020 financial year, according to official documents seen by the Pretoria News, including her salary advice and the municipality’s travel allowance payment records.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Do you live in the WC and travel to other provinces? To say the DA is totally useless means you must live in a bubble or not visit ANC run areas if you live in the WC, or are in certain regions like George/Knysna where political fighting is the main focus.

I moved to the WC in 2007 and I'm glad I did. I visit KZN and it boggles the mind how certain areas have basically just completely collapsed.

I do not love the DA (I think their social housing program is problematic), but I have voted for them, and let's be entirely honest here: the DA is judged by a completely different standard than the ANC. This may be due to racial perception or historical loyalty, but the ANC keeps on stealing, lying, and failing, and most people keep on voting for them. Meanwhile, the DA runs a relatively tight ship, and people nit-pick them about little things despite the fact that they run the most prosperous regions in the country.

The fight about "meaningless degrees" is not so meaningless. We all know politicians can be liars, but when they are caught out, there should be consequences, as there have been in this case. Better to have a mayor who at least has his qualifications than not.
DA's battle mantra is "high standards!", whether it's with reference to service delivery, accounting practices, etc. So, media naturally picks up when they falter, creating a frenzy which everyone feeds on.

How often do we see anything from FF+ or UDM? It's because of their (relatively) silent diplomacy.

Lastly, I think it also depends on where the WC and specifically, where in CTN one lives. Someone from the poorer areas of the province will least likely see any good work. Shiny city streets mean little to that person if they have to constantly dodge bullets, wade across puddles of sewage and litter, etc.

zolly

Expert Member
DA's battle mantra is "high standards!", whether it's with reference to service delivery, accounting practices, etc. So, media naturally picks up when they falter, creating a frenzy which everyone feeds on.

How often do we see anything from FF+ or UDM? It's because of their (relatively) silent diplomacy.

Lastly, I think it also depends on where the WC and specifically, where in CTN one lives. Someone from the poorer areas of the province will least likely see any good work. Shiny city streets mean little to that person if they have to constantly dodge bullets, wade across puddles of sewage and litter, etc.

I agree with you to some degree. While this may sound horrible, the living conditions of people in squatter camps/informal settlements in KZN are even worse than they are here in the WC (at least the ones that aren't on land that the city cannot assist with). Here there is at least some kind of formal infrastructure with power/toilets in some settlements. I have yet to see any of that in the parts of KZN I travel through.

Oldfut

If they don't like it they can always go back to where they came from. Which is it; poor service delivery for the poor or better than where they came from; the ANC EC by many accounts?

cr@zydude

Executive Member
If they don't like it they can always go back to where they came from. Which is it; poor service delivery for the poor or better than where they came from; the ANC EC by many accounts?

So if I don't like how my ward is run, I can't vote out my DA councilor? My only choices are shut up or move back to PE?