• Epstein didn't kill himself.

Votes: 23 11.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lexity

Expert Member
DA bot? Let's see how this works...

1625922349984.png

I'm confused... is it a soapbox for political agendas? Or isn't it?

@Brian_G @bwana @Grant

p.s. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind posts aimed at stimulating discourse.... doesn't matter who it is. Since politics is less about discourse and more about force, when someone makes out they are here to discuss their policies, I'm all for it. But a bot is by very definition not interested, let alone interested in a back-and-forth.

Last edited:

dj2381

Expert Member
It's become a bit of a snooze fest lately, where's all the drama and the crisis?

cr@zydude

Executive Member

Cosmik Debris

Executive Member
DA - I vote for them out of hoping for sanity in rule and elimination of corruption. Democratic voting has one big flaw , tyranny of the masses.

Some of the most apt critiques of democracy:

“I refuse to partake in democracy as the government considers that millions of people with a lesser education and uninformed rational thinking ability know better than I do.” - Anonymous

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H.L. Mencken.

And here is some 2000 year old wisdom regarding democracy:

Socrates was of the belief that democracy without educated masses (educated in the broader sense of being knowledgeable and responsible) would only lead to populism being the criteria to become an elected leader, and not competence. This would ultimately lead to a demise of the nation. This was quoted by Plato in book 10 of The Republic, in Socrates' conversation with Adimantus. Socrates was of the opinion that the right to vote must not be an indiscriminate right (for example by birth or citizenship), but must be given only to people who thought sufficiently of their choice.

In the Republic, Plato's Socrates raises a number of objections to democracy. He claims that democracy is a danger due to excessive freedom. He also argues that in a system in which everyone has a right to rule all sorts of selfish people who care nothing for the people but are only motivated by their own personal desires are able to attain power. He concludes that democracy risks bringing dictators, tyrants, and demagogues to power. He also claims that democracies have leaders without proper skills or morals and that it is quite unlikely that the best equipped to rule will come to power

lexity

Expert Member

“I refuse to partake in democracy as the government considers that millions of people with a lesser education and uninformed rational thinking ability know better than I do.” - Anonymous

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H.L. Mencken.

Socrates was of the belief that democracy without educated masses (educated in the broader sense of being knowledgeable and responsible) would only lead to populism being the criteria to become an elected leader, and not competence. This would ultimately lead to a demise of the nation. This was quoted by Plato in book 10 of The Republic, in Socrates' conversation with Adimantus. Socrates was of the opinion that the right to vote must not be an indiscriminate right (for example by birth or citizenship), but must be given only to people who thought sufficiently of their choice.

In the Republic, Plato's Socrates raises a number of objections to democracy. He claims that democracy is a danger due to excessive freedom. He also argues that in a system in which everyone has a right to rule all sorts of selfish people who care nothing for the people but are only motivated by their own personal desires are able to attain power. He concludes that democracy risks bringing dictators, tyrants, and demagogues to power. He also claims that democracies have leaders without proper skills or morals and that it is quite unlikely that the best equipped to rule will come to power
I see your Mencken, Socrates and Plato, and raise you a Hoppe...

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
These electric busses?

https://www.news24.com/news24/south...investigation-into-electric-bus-deal-20181026

Who knows? The ANC's stooge De Lille have left a lot of broken stuff. She got her reward though. See she is now also dealing in Cubans. Big league stuff.

Sollie

Honorary Master
Looks like Ramaphosa will be remembered as the President who jailed Zuma, isn't that just awesome?
Serious question. When did he return after appointing Angie Motshekga.

So many puns in there if he was not yet back when it happened. :laugh:

Sollie

Honorary Master

Ironically, some of the members here love looking at Sweden and holding it up as an example for us. A total disconnect. We most definitely are not Sweden - and it has nothing to do with the politicians, rather all to do with the voters.

surface

Honorary Master

RedViking

Nord of the South
So here is the thing.

I don't (didn't) vote DA for whatever personal reasons I am not planning to go into.

But being in Zululand. Majority run by the Zulu Parties. During this riots and destructions, "our leaders" where nowhere to be seen. In fact, they were still celebrating persona birthdays and parties, not holding back advertising it on social media while the building next to them are burning to the ground.

The DA was at the forefront. Rich and Poor. Day and night.

In fact, as far as political parties go, if it was not for them we might have lost a lot more, if not everything.

This is something worth considering during next elections.

For a party who is in TOTAL CRISIS they have done pretty damn well.

Last edited:

Priapus

Executive Member
So here is the thing.

I don't (didn't) vote DA for whatever personal reasons I am not planning to go into.

But being in Zululand. Majority run by the Zulu Parties. During this riots and destructions, "our leaders" where nowhere to be seen. In fact, they were still celebrating persona birthdays and parties, not holding back advertising it on social media while the building next to them are burning to the ground.

In fact, as far as political parties go, if it was not for them we might have lost a lot more, if not everything.

I don’t think the DA are to make any substantial gains back that they lost; in the upcoming elections.

Sollie

Honorary Master
So here is the thing.

For a party who is in TOTAL CRISIS they have done pretty damn well.
He's my view. No political party is perfect. Politics is semi okay at best if the wind is from behind on a warm sunny day. JS irritates the crap out of me, DA taking a detour into race politics. It cost them and us dearly. Enough about that.

Me personally, I look at national and regional, I split my vote strategically to the strongest party in the direction of opposition against the ANC in the direction I'd like to see things go. The obvious is obvious - DA. It's a rung on the ladder out of the hole. Perfect - hell no, but a rung in the right direction.

From the KZN perspective: Yes, the DA was there, hats off to JS (even though he remains a *** :) ). Let's also not forget Mangosuthu Buthelezi (IFP). He was also working behind the scenes and we saw some of that come into play. Those are the two I'd be looking at. I jokingly said "Yes please" to KZN secession, stating I'd go there. I believe KZN, despite the recent issues, is now in a better position for the future than the rest of the country, along with WC. It's teh silver edge. I don't think the responsible aholes will be able to pull a stunt in KZN again like they did.

ronald911

Expert Member
He's my view. No political party is perfect. Politics is semi okay at best if the wind is from behind on a warm sunny day. JS irritates the crap out of me, DA taking a detour into race politics. It cost them and us dearly. Enough about that.

Me personally, I look at national and regional, I split my vote strategically to the strongest party in the direction of opposition against the ANC in the direction I'd like to see things go. The obvious is obvious - DA. It's a rung on the ladder out of the hole. Perfect - hell no, but a rung in the right direction.

From the KZN perspective: Yes, the DA was there, hats off to JS (even though he remains a *** :) ). Let's also not forget Mangosuthu Buthelezi (IFP). He was also working behind the scenes and we saw some of that come into play. Those are the two I'd be looking at. I jokingly said "Yes please" to KZN secession, stating I'd go there. I believe KZN, despite the recent issues, is now in a better position for the future than the rest of the country, along with WC. It's teh silver edge. I don't think the responsible aholes will be able to pull a stunt in KZN again like they did.

Hope you are right about KZN. Was the scariest week of my life. Never in my life have I ever felt so exposed.