• MMusi saw this poll and resigned.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • Epstein didn't kill himself.

Votes: 23 11.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JuliusSeizure

Expert Member
Eish. Phumzile clearly missed what was going on in the news.

Can confirm that it did not affect many upper-middle class and elite neighborhoods.

Police also do generally arrive faster in areas where the average income is higher.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Can confirm that it did not affect many upper-middle class and elite neighborhoods.

Police also do generally arrive faster in areas where the average income is higher.

I'd hate to know what their response time is in the less affluent areas, must be in the realm of "next decade to never"

JuliusSeizure

Expert Member
I'd hate to know what their response time is in the less affluent areas, must be in the realm of "next decade to never"

Definitely, but I do think that Phumzile is right here and I've disagreed with her many times in the past (she even blocked me on Twitter when we had a disagreement).

I don't understand why some are just dismissing what she says. It seems like they would just dismiss anything she says.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Definitely, but I do think that Phumzile is right here and I've disagreed with her many times in the past (she even blocked me on Twitter when we had a disagreement).

I don't understand why some are just dismissing what she says. It seems like they would just dismiss anything she says.

Because she is flat out wrong on the middle and upper income areas not being targeted, they were.

Yes the police respond slower to lower income areas for a variety of reasons but the two items are totally unrelated.

Last edited:

zolly

Expert Member

Except not for the reason Phumzile mentioned. In the case of the looting it was in some cases because private security pulled out the stops, and in other cases because poor, working, and middle class citizens managed to create security that buffered other communities, both rich and poor.

Conflating issues. We're talking about the incredible looting over a few days that virtually collapsed the SAPs response across social classes, not day-to-day life.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master

Care to comment on this then:

Phoenix violence: The real problem is not race, but the police’s incompetence​

Translation:

Race is not to blame for the violence that ravaged Phoenix in KwaZulu-Natal where several people were killed, but the failure of the police force and some of the country’s other security structures to do their job properly.

This can be gleaned from President Cyril Ramaphosa’s weekly newsletter in which he asks South Africans to have “honest conversations” with each other about race, while making special reference to the violence that played out in the predominantly Indian residential area of Phoenix.

The FF Plus has requested to have such an open discussion on race numerous times in the past. The party also asked that Affirmative Action (AA) and Black Economic Empowerment (BEE) must come under discussion as well.

The President must not try and hold up and hide behind racism when it comes to the events that took place in Phoenix. The truth is that the Phoenix community had no other choice but to protect itself seeing as the police force was apparently unable to.

Nobody is justifying vigilantism, but the situation in Phoenix must be seen in context of the actual events that transpired there as well as the fact that a lack of police presence greatly contributed to the situation’s volatility.

If the police force had done its job, those events would never have occurred in Phoenix, KwaZulu-Natal. President Ramaphosa must accept full responsibility for what happened seeing as he allowed incompetence to paralyse the country’s security structures on his watch.

The President is also wrong in assuming that the events in Phoenix reflect the average South African’s racial disposition.

A good example and true reflection of racial relations was evident between the people in Pongola where the entire community – white, black, coloured and Indian – joined hands to protect their town against anarchy.

It is wrong to focus only on what went wrong in Phoenix and ignore the good racial relations elsewhere.

The FF Plus has said this before and will say it again: The party is in favour of having an honest conversation about race where everyone will have the opportunity to have their voices heard, not just the ANC government.

Vrotappel

Bulls fan

They are scared of those areas. Easier to go after soft targets.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Finally...

But she keeps her ward councillor's job.

“This has no effect nor bearing on her current position as a Ward Councillor nor the numerous governance relation positions that she occupies, such as that of Sub Council chairperson.”

JuliusSeizure

Expert Member
Finally...

But she keeps her ward councillor's job.

It's a pity ANC in WC is so weak because Dugmore is actually a good politician and helps keep the DA accountable in WC.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Bombarded with question from opposition parties about reports the City would foot Grose's legal bill, he said he had met with the Hawks to ask for proof of Grose allegedly syphoning funds to Life Changers Church.

"If there is fraud in the City of Cape Town, I want to say to you immediately we are dealing with each and every piece of fraudulent activity in a very appropriate manner.
I would have loved an answer on whether or not the City would pay for the legal costs, if yes how is that consistent with the DA going to court to stop the state from paying for Zuma's legal costs.

3WA

Honorary Master

Mpho Phalatse for Joburg.

BBSA

Honorary Master

Mpho Phalatse for Joburg.
Statement like this is not very popular:

“If we profess to follow Christianity which was founded by a certain Jewish man, Jesus Christ, then we should not hate the State of Israel. As a Christian that I am, I would like to publicly declare that I am a friend of Israel and that the City of Johannesburg is also a friend of Israel,” said Phalatse

3WA

Honorary Master
Statement like this is not very popular:

“If we profess to follow Christianity which was founded by a certain Jewish man, Jesus Christ, then we should not hate the State of Israel. As a Christian that I am, I would like to publicly declare that I am a friend of Israel and that the City of Johannesburg is also a friend of Israel,” said Phalatse

I don't have a huge problem with that. South Africans get too hung up on the Middle East. I think we have more important schit to worry about.

As for professing to follow Christianity, I would prefer that politicians kept their beliefs private, but that is asking for a level of intellect that is simply absent in South African politics.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Looks like they have already conceded defeat in JHB, the candidate is very uninspiring.

BBSA

Honorary Master
I don't have a huge problem with that. South Africans get too hung up on the Middle East. I think we have more important schit to worry about.

As for professing to follow Christianity, I would prefer that politicians kept their beliefs private, but that is asking for a level of intellect that is simply absent in South African politics.
I also do have a problem with it, but they definitely going to use it against her.

Reactions: 3WA