• MMusi saw this poll and resigned.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • Epstein didn't kill himself.

Votes: 23 11.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

blah99

Expert Member
That's my expectation. If it goes badly, blame Mmusi. If it somehow goes well, praise Helen and John.
Let's be honest. Mmusi was the worse leader any political party could ever have. The damage he caused could affect the DA for years to come.

Take those blinkers off, it makes you look desperate.

Last edited:
I'm betting that the DA won't remove John as leader after the party does worse than it did in 2016.

You do know that in 2016, the GOOD party wasn't yet in existence? Although they will be a mere blip on the radar, they will take votes away from the DA purely because their target market overlaps with a part of the DA voter coalition. This would have happened regardless of who led the DA. Mind, you, that 18% doesn't pass my "sniff test" of authenticity and I think the DA vote share is a great under-estimate and the EFF share is a great over-estimate. Dawie Scholtz and Wayne Sussman (the SA electoral analysts on Twitter) have not stated that they have seen a swell of EFF support in the limited number of by-elections that we've had.

In local elections, the DA almost always gets a higher share than in national elections because ANC voters just do not turn out at the same rate for local elections compared to national elections. The DA is at least getting 21% but very likely a bit higher.

surface

Honorary Master
That's my expectation. If it goes badly, blame Mmusi. If it somehow goes well, praise Helen and John.
To give credit to HZ would be fine. She is still among the best SA politicians (and as a person) we have today irrespective of her silly tweets. I don't get obsession with blaming Mmusi. I suppose they have to praise John as he is the leader.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Let's be honest. Mmusi was the worse leader any political party could ever have. The damage he caused could affect the DA for years to come.

Take those blinkers off, it makes you look desperate.
The worst leader that delivered three extra metros to the DA? I think you are the one who needs to take the blinkers off, or it's not blinkers but plain dishonesty.

BBSA

Honorary Master
The worst leader that delivered three extra metros to the DA? I think you are the one who needs to take the blinkers off, or it's not blinkers but plain dishonesty.
You are correct, he did well in the beginning. I liked him and voted DA with him as their leader.

And then he started with his identity politics....

Sad for the DA and South Africa.

Oldfut

I do not think Mmusi was that bad either; pushed too hard too soon and tried too hard maybe. The DA has "lost" some reasonable talent and it's a pity Mmusi, Herman, van Damme and Mazibuko couldn't work together.

C4Cat

Honorary Master
You know whenever someone starts off saying "let's be honest" that what follows will be complete BS.

R13...

Honorary Master
You do know that in 2016, the GOOD party wasn't yet in existence? Although they will be a mere blip on the radar, they will take votes away from the DA purely because their target market overlaps with a part of the DA voter coalition. This would have happened regardless of who led the DA. Mind, you, that 18% doesn't pass my "sniff test" of authenticity and I think the DA vote share is a great under-estimate and the EFF share is a great over-estimate. Dawie Scholtz and Wayne Sussman (the SA electoral analysts on Twitter) have not stated that they have seen a swell of EFF support in the limited number of by-elections that we've had.

In local elections, the DA almost always gets a higher share than in national elections because ANC voters just do not turn out at the same rate for local elections compared to national elections. The DA is at least getting 21% but very likely a bit higher.
The problem with surveys in this country and this one in particular is whether people are giving honest opinion. I am not sure how accurate previous IPSOS polls have proven. I have a suspicion that EFF/ANC voters in rural areas are likely to be paranoid and distrusting of people phoning them up for opinion on how they're going to vote. They may fear giving honest opinion for various fears. IPSOS say they used some kind of random data generator to pick the phone numbers.

cr@zydude

Executive Member

GOOD is a big reason that I think that the DA will bleed votes in the WC. I also think that the DA will bleed votes to the VF. I stand by my comments about who will be blamed or praised.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
To give credit to HZ would be fine. She is still among the best SA politicians (and as a person) we have today irrespective of her silly tweets. I don't get obsession with blaming Mmusi. I suppose they have to praise John as he is the leader.

I used to think as Helen as one of SA's best, and still hold her in high regard. I got to attend one of her speeches while it was at university. Oddly a security guard at the venue thought that I was "a threat" as he asked if I was "there to see the future President of South Africa", and I responded that I didn't think that she would ever be president.

Unfortunately, Helen's gone off the rails for me in recent years, and I consider her a liability to DA growth today.

surface

Honorary Master
GOOD is a big reason that I think that the DA will bleed votes in the WC. I also think that the DA will bleed votes to the VF. I stand by my comments about who will be blamed or praised.
In WC, it will be good if other parties bleed votes from DA. In other provinces, it will be good if other parties bleed votes from ANC. Reducing majority, however little, should make parties think about their approach.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
You are correct, he did well in the beginning. I liked him and voted DA with him as their leader.

I will never get that because identity politics was introduced into the party before he became leader, he was able to become leader ahead of more established leaders in the party because of identity politics, I think DA supporters preferred him when they had the confidence of Zille watching over him, they trusted him and liked him because it was Zille who bestowed him unto them, the problem started when he became independent and the fallout with Zille just made things worse for him.

If DA supporters had a problem with identity politics they would have had a problem when Zille presented some unknown young guy with no known history in the party as her successor, they would have objected back then, but because they trusted Zille more with identity politics they did not.

They trusted Zille when she introduced identity politics in the party, and they also trusted her when she came back from retirement to tell them that identity politics is not good and she is now back to make things right.

Last edited:

JuliusSeizure

Expert Member
I will never get that because identity politics was introduced into the party before he became leader, he was able to become leader ahead of more established leaders in the party because of identity politics, I think DA supporters preferred him when they had the confidence of Zille watching over him, they trusted him and liked him because it was Zille who bestowed him unto them, the problem started when he became independent and the fallout with Zille just made things worse for him.

If DA supporters had a problem with identity politics they would have had a problem when Zille presented some unknown young guy with no known history in the party as her successor, they would have objected back then, but because they trusted Zille more with identity politics try did not.

They trusted Zille when she introduced identity politics in the party, and they also trusted her when she came back from retirement to tell them that identity politics is not good and she is now back to make things right.

When this was pointed out he tried to cover up and say the party did away with identity politics before Mmusi was elevated which is a lie.

Last edited:

ForceFate

Honorary Master

Helen played identity politics for most of her stint as DA leader.