Votes: 9 3.9%
  • Epstein didn't kill himself.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • Please change the thread title

Votes: 12 5.2%

• Total voters

Kieppie

Expert Member
Steven Friedman penned a piece on the DA for New Frame.

That was a truly terrible article. Steven should be able to do better.
It lacks substance.

PrimeSteak

Expert Member
Steven Friedman penned a piece on the DA for New Frame.

So essentially the article says DA is right-wing now because of the Phoenix posters debacle? Awesome.
who believe that statues honouring racists and colonisers are fine art
The thing about the statues is that you're desperately trying to rewrite/bury history and that's not ok. Why not erect more statues of Mandela, Mbeki, Tambo, etc to counter them? Taking away statues, changing names of places is nothing more than window dressing and it doesn't help anyone at all except the gov's agenda. Trying to bury the pre-1994 history of the country is senseless. We need to be able to tell the country's entire history from all perspectives instead of just the government-issued one.

and expressing prejudice is a human right.
Freedom of speech[2] is a principle that supports the freedom of an individual or a community to articulate their opinions and ideas without fear of retaliation, censorship, or legal sanction. The right to freedom of expression has been recognized as a human right in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and international human rights law by the United Nations. A lot of countries have constitutional law that protects free speech. Terms like free speech, freedom of speech and freedom of expression are used interchangeably in political discourse.
That's the thing about free speech, it allows people to say offensive things or things you don't agree with. So prejudice or not, people should be able to express themselves in whatever way they want, offensive or not. It's everyone's right, not a select few.

I abhor arguments like the quote I took from Steven trying to indirectly imply that freedom of speech should be limited or completely removed from society because of "prejudice" or freedom of speech is only used by racists as a petty defence. I'm not saying if someone is racist, you're not allowed to confront him (as you also have the same right as that guy to free speech) but the gov shouldn't be able to intervene and throw someone in jail for 2 years over it nor should you be able to ruin his life over it.

It's a fact of how the world works, there will be people who don't agree with you, offend you or you could offend other people. But the key is, is to not lose your mind over it and want someone to be severely punished for their (at the end of the day) opinions.

The fictional weapon of the woke is “cancel culture”, which is said to banish the prejudiced to society’s margins.
This does exist, although the "woke" themselves deny it. Take Twitter, for example, if you dare go against a "woke" over any topic really, then you're wrong and make yourself a target for "cancelling". And it ain't cool to destroy someone's life over some **** they said (offensive or not).
Cancel culture or call-out culture is a modern form of ostracism in which someone is thrust out of social or professional circles – whether it be online, on social media, or in person. Those subject to this ostracism are said to have been "cancelled". ... Others criticize cancel culture as creating a chilling effect.
Taken from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cancel_culture

Ghost64

Expert Member
So essentially the article says DA is right-wing now because of the Phoenix posters debacle? Awesome.

The thing about the statues is that you're desperately trying to rewrite/bury history and that's not ok. Why not erect more statues of Mandela, Mbeki, Tambo, etc to counter them? Taking away statues, changing names of places is nothing more than window dressing and it doesn't help anyone at all except the gov's agenda. Trying to bury the pre-1994 history of the country is senseless. We need to be able to tell the country's entire history from all perspectives instead of just the government-issued one.

That's the thing about free speech, it allows people to say offensive things or things you don't agree with. So prejudice or not, people should be able to express themselves in whatever way they want, offensive or not. It's everyone's right, not a select few.

I abhor arguments like the quote I took from Steven trying to indirectly imply that freedom of speech should be limited or completely removed from society because of "prejudice" or freedom of speech is only used by racists as a petty defence. I'm not saying if someone is racist, you're not allowed to confront him (as you also have the same right as that guy to free speech) but the gov shouldn't be able to intervene and throw someone in jail for 2 years over it nor should you be able to ruin his life over it.

It's a fact of how the world works, there will be people who don't agree with you, offend you or you could offend other people. But the key is, is to not lose your mind over it and want someone to be severely punished for their (at the end of the day) opinions.

This does exist, although the "woke" themselves deny it. Take Twitter, for example, if you dare go against a "woke" over any topic really, then you're wrong and make yourself a target for "cancelling". And it ain't cool to destroy someone's life over some **** they said (offensive or not).

Taken from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cancel_culture

Steven always knows how to piss off the right people lolzzz

PrimeSteak

Expert Member
@PrimeSteak is left-wing? He hides it very well, I must say
I even posted my stance via a political compass earlier in the thread.

To mixed reviews:

JuliusSeizure

Expert Member
@PrimeSteak is left-wing? He hides it very well, I must say

You get "left-wingers" like Renaldo Gouws and Dave Rubin who claim to be "left wing" but attack the left at every opportunity, have a close circle that includes right-wingers, and only praise right-wingers.

AFAIK, Rubin has finally now owned the conservative label.