Votes: 10 4.1%
  • Epstein didn't kill himself.

Votes: 37 15.2%
  • Please change the thread title

Votes: 18 7.4%

• Total voters

PrimeSteak

Expert Member
I looked around to see if this story was running anywhere else... Nope, not at all. Not News24, EWN, TimesLive, nothing. Only News24 covered the story when the guy got fired when allegations surfaced against him earlier this year. Funny, how IOL is considered fake news and to peddle misinformation (rightfully so) only until it benefits a certain narrative.

P.S If the guy does get accused and found guilty, then I agree that he should be punted. But you can clearly see this is about the Kannaland debacle and the ANC and its allies are of course chomping at the bit and looking for an "eye for an eye" deal (looking at you GOOD and PA). Also to quote the IOL article:
Opposition parties are outraged by the “appointment” of sexual harassment accused Thys Giliomee, the former Mossel Bay municipal manager, as the municipal manager for the Hessequa Municipality.DA mayor of Hessequa Municipality Grant Riddles said on Wednesday: “The Council is still waiting on confirmation from the Minister re the process as prescribed in the legislation. Afterwards, a statement will be made.”
So what I take from this, he's not even been appointed yet, he's just a candidate? So a bit preemptive? And they could always not appoint him?

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
I looked around to see if this story was running anywhere else... Nope, not at all. Not News24, EWN, TimesLive, nothing. Only News24 covered the story when the guy got fired when allegations surfaced against him earlier this year. Funny, how IOL is considered fake news and to peddle misinformation (rightfully so) only until it benefits a certain narrative.

P.S If the guy does get accused and found guilty, then I agree that he should be punted. But you can clearly see this is about the Kannaland debacle and the ANC and its allies are of course chomping at the bit and looking for an "eye for an eye" deal (looking at you GOOD and PA). Also to quote the IOL article:

So what I take from this, he's not even been appointed yet, he's just a candidate? So a bit preemptive? And they could always not appoint him?

But its standard, and yes this is in relation to the Kannaland debacle for the ANC.

Not to downplay sexual harassment, but it is on nowhere near the same level has statutory rape which is what that ICOSA knobhead was actually found guilty of. How the fsckhead didn't spend a lot of time behind bars for that still baffles me.

noxibox

Honorary Master
Mandela knew when to step away from politics and that was good from him. He knew he would become a liability to the ANC if he had stayed on while Mbeki was there.
Mbeki was a liability and it went downhill from there. Mandela should have stepped up, but he was willing to throw South Africa under the bus.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Mbeki was a liability and it went downhill from there. Mandela should have stepped up, but he was willing to throw South Africa under the bus.

I actually think its way more nuanced than that.

Mbeki was overall a benefit to SA, his deputy on the other hand was a problem and Mbeki should have thrown him under the bus many years before he did..

Mbeki made some fundamental mistakes without a doubt but overall the country was on a positive trajectory economically.

JuliusSeizure

Expert Member

Mandela was a good guy and I don't actually think he did as much as people think after he negotiated for the peaceful transfer of power. He was in his late 70s at the time and I think he was just put there as a symbol of peace.

JuliusSeizure

Expert Member
Mbeki made some fundamental mistakes

Fair enough but his worst mistakes were on par with the way the USA, China etc managed the COVID pandemic. It was also a different time when we didn't completely understand the HIV/AIDS pandemic. Had he been around today, he most definitely would have handled it better.

dj2381

Expert Member
Lol.

“This past weekend there was a trend aimed at South African men and that trend on social media was that #MenAreTrash. You would think that when you’re fighting against gender-based violence you wouldn’t generalise. One would think that you would want allies and supporters to come up and defend and stand up for your movement,”

This part is correct. Whoever came up with/uses that hashtag is a moron.

surface

Honorary Master
Lol.

If he is not abuser/rapist, I don't see why he is offended.

I take this opportunity to thank all mybb members (those who have not raped) for being decent men. Well done, bravo. Take this cookie. Do you want OBE - take it. Do you want Nobel prize - ditto.
the good men in the country should be “praised” and “thanked” instead of being insulted.

Gyre

Expert Member
If he is not abuser/rapist, I don't see why he is offended.

I take this opportunity to thank all mybb members (those who have not raped) for being decent men. Well done, bravo. Take this cookie. Do you want OBE - take it. Do you want Nobel prize - ditto.

Renaldo generalizes "the left", cries when men are generalized on the same platform he generalizes others.

Here is his gold star for being a decent human being

JuliusSeizure

Expert Member
Renaldo generalizes "the left", cries when men are generalized on the same platform he generalizes others.

Here is his gold star for being a decent human being

He always claims to be "left of centre" but only seems to get along with right wingers and in some cases far right wingers.

He claims that racism is not the biggest problem in the country which is fair enough but then cries as though the "woke left" are the biggest problem in the country. Are they?

dj2381

Expert Member
The hashtag is a terrible idea if we consider the average IQ on twitter, there is plenty of evidence to show this. There will be plenty offended/triggered men who don't know or wouldn't bother reading up on the movement, I don't think a lot of thought went into it.

Gyre

Expert Member
He always claims to be "left of centre" but only seems to get along with right wingers and in some cases far right wingers.

He claims that racism is not the biggest problem in the country which is fair enough but then cries as though the "woke left" are the biggest problem in the country. Are they?

I don't mind his alignment, he is just so damn whiney