• MMusi saw this poll and resigned.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Epstein didn't kill himself.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mrcricket

Expert Member
their leader was a deputy minister in Zuma's cabinet.

Actually, Zuma's tactic to make Tony Leon ambassador to Argentina (which he accepted) may have also been to sow divisions in the DA but it was poorly timed (Leon was retired at the time already) and due to his corruption, it was mostly overlooked. Most DA supporters don't even know about it.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Ha ha, best of luck; you of all people who don't trust black people in the DA (to me, labelling it as a "white party") should ally with the EFF who want to kill white people (as well as having a leader who I reckon was rotten to the core in his provincial days and has a nasty smell around some of his minions with VBS Bank)? What could possibly go wrong trying to get them to buy into "service delivery"?
The comment about black people in the DA was a light hearted one, you pretty hung up on it so I thought I should clarify.

Mrcricket

Expert Member
No service will be denied to you because you are pale. Mashaba made it work in Joburg, I don't remember any day where the ideology of either party ever being a hindrance to service delivery when he was a mayor, everyone understood what the job of a Municipality is and if there were arguments it pertained to the running of the city.

Towards the end, he seemed to have more trust among the EFF than among the DA. Some of the DA delegates took offence when he said that service delivery to poorer people should be more of a concern than service delivery in elite areas.

It's another delicate issue within the DA in addition to race, issues over class.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Towards the end, he seemed to have more trust among the EFF than among the DA. Some of the DA delegates took offence when he said that service delivery to poorer people should be more of a concern than service delivery in elite areas.

It's another delicate issue within the DA in addition to race, issues over class.
Well that's what happens when you start being too good, Cyril is also not a favorite amongst some in the ANC.

Mrcricket

Expert Member
Same with the DA teaming up with the EFF. That's why the DA is loosing voters.

I don't think teaming up with the EFF actually cost the DA a lot of votes. Most people understand that this was necessary if they hoped to gain control over the EFF in those regions. It just was a bit hypocritical when they started moaning about the "ANC and EFF coalition of corruption".

What did cost them votes was their lack of a clear direction over BEE and farm murders over the last five years.

Mrcricket

Expert Member
Well that's what happens when you start being too good, Cyril is also not a favorite amongst some in the ANC.

True, Zuma would probably beat him in a fair and square internal election. Ramaphosa had to use his power and wealth to his benefit to win the ANC nomination. He would have lost to NDZ without it.

Mrcricket

Expert Member
My view; foolish to think that a coalition with dishonest blatant racists will ever work if you are pale.

Politics is about power. It was mentioned in the forward to Mashaba's book that the EFF offered to keep the DA in power when he resigned. HZ threw a tantrum because her choice for the Mayoral nomination after Mashaba resigned did not win the internal election.

This was also likely a big reason why Funzi Ngobeni (the candidate to replace Mashaba) resigned shortly afterwards.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
True, Zuma would probably beat him in a fair and square internal election. Ramaphosa had to use his power and wealth to his benefit to win the ANC nomination. He would have lost to NDZ without it.
Not necessarily , it was Zuma who was contesting at Nasrec, don't mind his ex wife. Also the notion that Cyril used money to win the election while the poor Zuma campaigned in poverty is flawed.

Those in the ANC who voted for Cyril should be given credit instead of reducing the election to money as if the Zuma camp did not have any to dole out.

My parents knew a former JHB DA councillor - he quit in protest due to Mashaba's good relationship with the EFF - because Mashaba did most or all of the stuff the EFF demanded.

Mrcricket

Expert Member
he quit in protest due to Mashaba's good relationship with the EFF - because Mashaba did most or all of the stuff the EFF demanded.

Just be careful of people like this because often the PR reason is often different from the actual reason, this is done to paint them in a positive light.

It reminds me of the people that claimed that they left the ANC because of the "corruption" and who end up in leadership positions in other parties. The actual reason is that the other parties offered them a job.

I don't think teaming up with the EFF actually cost the DA a lot of votes. Most people understand that this was necessary if they hoped to gain control over the EFF in those regions. It just was a bit hypocritical when they started moaning about the "ANC and EFF coalition of corruption".

What did cost them votes was their lack of a clear direction over BEE and farm murders over the last five years.

Incorrect. The internal DA report regarding its poor showing in the 2019 elections identified the DA's relationship with the EFF in JHB/PTA as one of the factors that drove some DA voters away from the DA.

Also in Zille's analysis of last week's by-elections (https://www.politicsweb.co.za/opinion/the-das-byelection-setback-an-analysis) she mentioned the following:

Our losses in minority communities in Gauteng can be traced back directly to our failures in government in Johannesburg that arose from trying to keep the EFF “sweet” so that we could stay in power. Walking the streets of Lenasia before the by-election I heard it first hand: voters regarded it as betrayal.

Certainly, this does seem to have a grain of truth as we know that the majority of Coloureds and Indians vote for the DA as well these days, and the DA lost to the Patriotic Alliance (led by an ex-gangster) and that random Muslim party in the by-elections - not to the ANC.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Incorrect. The internal DA report regarding its poor showing in the 2019 elections identified the DA's relationship with the EFF in JHB/PTA as one of the factors that drove some DA voters away from the DA.

Also in Zille's analysis of last week's by-elections (https://www.politicsweb.co.za/opinion/the-das-byelection-setback-an-analysis) she mentioned the following:

Certainly, this does seem to have a grain of truth as we know that the majority of Coloureds and Indians vote for the DA as well these days, and the DA lost to the Patriotic Alliance (led by an ex-gangster) and that random Muslim party in the by-elections - not to the ANC.
There internal report is BS.

It was either team up with the EFF or leave those Metros under ANC control. They had a chance to take power and not doing it would have been extremely weak.

Mrcricket

Expert Member
The internal DA report regarding its poor showing in the 2019 elections identified the DA's relationship with the EFF in JHB/PTA as one of the factors that drove some DA voters away from the DA.

I would not trust any DA internal report. Remember that they forecasted that they would reach an all-time high under MM last year.

Excalibur

Expert Member
And we have a winner!

The DA is really the party of the New South Africa!

Victory speech delivered in Afrikaans embracing our wonderful language diversity!

1605958987303.png

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Not necessarily , it was Zuma who was contesting at Nasrec, don't mind his ex wife. Also the notion that Cyril used money to win the election while the poor Zuma campaigned in poverty is flawed.

Those in the ANC who voted for Cyril should be given credit instead of reducing the election to money as if the Zuma camp did not have any to dole out.
In fact, some people were rewarded handsomely for agreeing to vote for NDZ.

Oldfut

Politics is about power. It was mentioned in the forward to Mashaba's book that the EFF offered to keep the DA in power when he resigned. HZ threw a tantrum because her choice for the Mayoral nomination after Mashaba resigned did not win the internal election.

This was also likely a big reason why Funzi Ngobeni (the candidate to replace Mashaba) resigned shortly afterwards.

Silly to think that going into any sort of pact with self serving fascist thugs will work; ask Joe Stalin.

Mrcricket

Expert Member
Silly to think that going into any sort of pact with self serving fascist thugs will work; ask Joe Stalin.

Realistically, neither the EFF nor DA can hope to oust the ANC anytime soon unless they work together and negotiate a compromise.

If they can find a way to work together and reach mutual compromise soon, there is a chance that the ANC can be unseated soon.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Realistically, neither the EFF nor DA can hope to oust the ANC anytime soon unless they work together and negotiate a compromise.

If they can find a way to work together and reach mutual compromise soon, there is a chance that the ANC can be unseated soon.
If I was a politician, I'd even bring EFF and VF+ together to try and unseat ANC in one province or more.