The dangerous lives of bankers working in Joburg

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
That was the charitable assumption. As you were, don't let me stop you with whatever you are trying with the TB shuffle.
OK.... Still not sure what I'm apparently trying but hey whatever floats your goat.

Jabulani22

Expert Member
When they try to claim it is the cause of poverty then its pretty accurate.
So it has never caused poverty ?
I think you are being overly defensive of this thing now.
If you work at a bank or whatever thats cool ,even if you run your own money lending business thats cool but you should know that usury does cause debt and makes people live payday to payday and by extension of that it causes poverty.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
So it has never caused poverty ?
I think you are being overly defensive of this thing now.
If you work at a bank or whatever thats cool ,even if you run your own money lending business thats cool but you should know that usury does cause debt and makes people live payday to payday and by extension of that it causes poverty.
Ahhh but if you had paid even a modicum of attention to my posts you would see that I merely say it is not the cause of the vast majority of poverty... You had your IHateUsury glasses on and could see beyond that.

I'm fully aware of how usury works and know that it causes debt and in extreme cases can end up in poverty but generally its a combination of factors that causes it and its not solely the fault of usury.

Jabulani22

Expert Member
Ahhh but if you had paid even a modicum of attention to my posts you would see that I merely say it is not the cause of the vast majority of poverty... You had your IHateUsury glasses on and could see beyond that.

I'm fully aware of how usury works and know that it causes debt and in extreme cases can end up in poverty but generally its a combination of factors that causes it and its not solely the fault of usury.
Took you a long time to agree with me but its good that you came around, I never said it causes all crime i said it would be better for everyone if we did away with it.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
I remember when I was at Standard Bank I used to dread having to go to Simonds. The "best" was arriving at the parking lot, walking through that tunnel, getting into a Standard Bank minibus taxi and being taken to the Marshall Street office.

Not only does the office smell like an armpit, but you did all of this with your laptop strapped to your back.

My sympathies for those not based in Sandton, Rosebank or CVOP.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Took you a long time to agree with me but its good that you came around, I never said it causes all crime i said it would be better for everyone if we did away with it.
Hold on... You claimed it caused poverty... Not that it caused all crime.. They are 2 different things all together.

So no I dont agree with you.. And no doing away with usury would not be better for everyone.

Techne

Honorary Master
Hold on... You claimed it caused poverty... Not that it caused all crime.. They are 2 different things all together.

So no I dont agree with you.. And no doing away with usury would not be better for everyone.
True. It will be terrible for those wankers that make money from usury and not labour. Oh the humanity:rolleyes:

Jabulani22

Expert Member

It does cause poverty , it does cause crime if you believe the links some people offer .
If its your businees then you just do you , im just saying it would be best to scrap it .

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
It does cause poverty , it does cause crime if you believe the links some people offer .
If its your businees then you just do you , im just saying it would be best to scrap it .
It can cause poverty in certain circumstances... Which can lead to crime.. It is not the leading cause for either...

Let's assume we do away with it.. What would you replace it with then?