The dangerous lives of bankers working in Joburg

Happy Days

Jeez guys! Thank you for derailing the thread. :mad: So far less than 10% of the posts actually relate to the article!

rietrot

Honorary Master
So, as long as you don't leave your office, all is well? Why do the banks still have their offices there? Move elsewhere!
Huge capital requirements to move and then you still have the useless old building.

The businesses in the city centre could do more to develop and make the rest of it safe and clean, however that's actually the city's job and the policing is the governments job. That's the problem.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
Except maybe if you are talking about reserve banks that create money, but that is the "gold standard" argument about whether they should back it with a physical commodity
precisely

that isn't banks lending out money that doesn't exist, the money they lend out do exist and the deposit still exists.
the fake money the central banks create to provide liquidity "to the system" is exactly that, it gets loaned to banks at very preferential rates and they in turn loan it out to customers at whatever rates they can

i.e. they are lending out money that was not deposited, but printed

RedViking

Nord of the South
My own view is that the nca is a perfectly good piece of legislation and protects the vast majority of people.... Now define a reasonable interest rate that you feel would be non predatory and prevent poverty and crime.
As someone who says he is an expert I find his responses and replies quite the opposite. I don't think he is able to reply with a solution.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
As someone who says he is an expert I find his responses and replies quite the opposite. I don't think he is able to reply with a solution.
I tend to agree obviously, which was why I was pushing him for a solution. He strikes me as one of those people who sees what he feels is a problem, and the problem must go away... but its not his baby to come up with a viable alternative solution.

rietrot

Honorary Master
precisely

the fake money the central banks create to provide liquidity "to the system" is exactly that, it gets loaned to banks at very preferential rates and they in turn loan it out to customers at whatever rates they can

i.e. they are lending out money that was not deposited, but printed
I have thought in the past we need to back money with something, go back to the gold standard. I have moved away from that view and now fully support worthless electronic or paper money.

That is exactly how money should work it shouldn't carry any value in and off itself, but what you can actually exchange it for, and that is purely link to supply and demand of the money itself and of the goods you want.

Now the formula is really simple. You want more valuable money, than have less of it. You want less valuable money then have more of it.

Last edited:

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
But he's got a point. What will you replace it with.

I get a salary of R4000. I have to support a family of 8 where I am the only one with work, they live in poverty, I stay with my boss but still have to pay 800 for transport to see them, food also for myself. The roof leaks at my family house, there is no water because of draught, food is very expensive, kids need school stationary, my daughter is sick, gas stove is broken. No electricity. I go to Africa bank and they give me a loan of R25000 rand to fix and pay everything. That money finish. Now I have 3000 a month, and 1000 for Africa Bank. Now I borrow more money every month to survive. And so on.

It is a vicious cycle. A bank should NEVER have given someone with a salary of R4000 a R25 000 loan, never mind the stupid high interest rate. But they make a hell lot of money at the poor becoming even poorer.

What is the solution?
That scenario shouldn't be able to exist anymore as it would be considered reckless lending, as toxic bunny stated.

The problem is that these people then go to gangs or other loan sharks that don't operate according to the law.

My maid tried approaching us for a loan for her shack, to fix roof etc. And put tenants in, we asked her how she was sure those tenants would pay their rent, else she'd be messed up for loan repayments. Obviously we didn't give the loan as we knew it would probably be a write off, the bank didn't give either, she went with a loan shark and as is now trying to live off half her salary as rest goes to service interest.

Not our job to bail her out for her bad decision, especially when we warned her.

She hasn't resorted to crime though, instead she's trying to make a plan, trying to get the tenants out via community help, etc. And also doing extra work so she can have enough to live.

So were the banks the problem? No, they didn't loan as risk too high and were sure that she wouldn't be able to pay. This is post the act though, and she was honest with what the use was for and her income. Those who fake that can't really blame the bank.

krycor

Honorary Master
Something I factor into salary negotiation other than transit cost differential and if you working at a bank you need to factor in general opportunity cost too.

RedViking

Nord of the South
That scenario shouldn't be able to exist anymore as it would be considered reckless lending, as toxic bunny stated.

The problem is that these people then go to gangs or other loan sharks that don't operate according to the law.

My maid tried approaching us for a loan for her shack, to fix roof etc. And put tenants in, we asked her how she was sure those tenants would pay their rent, else she'd be messed up for loan repayments. Obviously we didn't give the loan as we knew it would probably be a write off, the bank didn't give either, she went with a loan shark and as is now trying to live off half her salary as rest goes to service interest.

Not our job to bail her out for her bad decision, especially when we warned her.

She hasn't resorted to crime though, instead she's trying to make a plan, trying to get the tenants out via community help, etc. And also doing extra work so she can have enough to live.

So were the banks the problem? No, they didn't loan as risk too high and were sure that she wouldn't be able to pay. This is post the act though, and she was honest with what the use was for and her income. Those who fake that can't really blame the bank.

But it does!!! The scenario I gave above is a real scenario.

dlk001

Executive Member
I can confirm from my company perspective that more employees have been victims of crime this year than the previous 2 years combined. Some of the company control measures to reduce the risk are :

- Reduce staff exposure to the hazards by allowing more flexible working hours and flexi-workplace.

- Collaboration with other businesses to have JMPD presence during peak times for traffic control and deterring the threats. For now, this happens between 07h00 until 08h30 in the high-risk precinct.

- Continuous safety awareness, knowledge sharing to staff.