The death of ADSL in South Africa is coming

Marius Flash

Expert Member
Well it is certainly is attributed to the rolling in of Smart Broadband where one can access the internet with Mobile USB modems and Wireless LTE - The technology is making it possible for everyone to have access to the internet without having to have a fixed Telkom line ....

Nick333

Honorary Master
Well it is certainly is attributed to the rolling in of Smart Broadband where one can access the internet with Mobile USB modems and Wireless LTE - The technology is making it possible for everyone to have access to the internet without having to have a fixed Telkom line ....
That and people who have ADSL will obviously replace it with fibre when they're able to. The article is interesting because it gives us an idea of the rate at which ADSL is being phased out, but really, that a better technology will replace an older one is a given. The death of the CRT TV and feature phone is coming! Thanks, Kev.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
That and people who have ADSL will obviously replace it with fibre when they're able to. The article is interesting because it gives us an idea of the rate at which ADSL is being phased out, but really, that a better technology will replace an older one is a given. The death of the CRT TV and feature phone is coming! Thanks, Kev.
I sure hope not!

Tinuva

The Magician
I doubt it will be the death of ADSL any time soon, but scaling down most definitely.

wizardofid

Executive Member
Death of ADSL is nice and all, thanks to telkom I literally NEVER, EVER had the opportunity to have ADSL my self or for that matter use else where for my own purposes.Never had the experience of always on internet, never had the opportunity not to worry about data caps, OOB, thanks for nothing, telkom.........

Nick333

Honorary Master
I doubt it will be the death of ADSL any time soon, but scaling down most definitely.
It'll be a long time until it's completely non-existent - there are probably still a few dial-up connections out there - but it's already what people settle for if fibre isn't available in their area, and, like Marius said, LTE is also a viable alternative.

Arthur

Honorary Master
Death of ADSL?

Reminds me of how New Tech would kill paper in the office. Meantime the Paperless Office remains as close as the paperless toilet.

phex

How far is Telkom with it's fibre to the cabinet (G-FAST) rollout? Is there a way to check on the net?

Nick333

Honorary Master
Death of ADSL?

Reminds me of how New Tech would kill paper in the office. Meantime the Paperless Office remains as close as the paperless toilet.
I'm not sure that the two are analogous. The ongoing reliance on paper seems like a quirk of human nature more than anything. On the other hand the only reason you're going to rely on copper over fibre is lack of availability. I see no reason people would have an attachment to what brings their internet signal to their home. Copper has no advantage over fibre - only disadvantages. It's not going to be laid to new developments.

Paper may at least be more comfortable for people. Easier to pass around, easier to scribble notes on the back of, etc. It also doesn't become redundant when there's a power failure.

Arthur

Honorary Master
:D

All analogies eventually fall apart. Just sayin' that "death of" as in imminent demise is overblown in tech.

Last edited:

Daruk

Honorary Master
Oh great, so I'll have no decent internet available at all then :p

Nick333

Honorary Master
:D

All analogies eventually fall apart. Just sayin' that "death of" as in imminent demise is overblown in tech.
Ja, that's my gripe with the headline. Even paper will die once we're all plugged into the neural net directly. ADSL will obviously be non-existent at some point in the future, just not any time soon. Then again define soon.

Like I said earlier, dial-up is still a thing. As long as there are places where copper is already laid and fibre and LTE is not viable, ADSL will be a thing. So, define death (as it relates to inanimate objects) for that matter.

Although, come to think, some of the best 3G coverage I've experienced was in Hogsback earlier this year, so LTE et al could kill ADSL quickly. Who knows? I'm sure you get my gist.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Give me a viable alternative to adsl and I’ll drop it tomorrow…

Lupus

Honorary Master
My area is finally getting fibre, after I've sold and going to move.