• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Samsung Pay Giveaway - Win a Samsung Connect & Control Speaker and other prizes. Enter Here.
  • Audi e-tron Giveaway - Win prizes worth R3,000 Enter Here.

The difference Between Social Media and IRL

mmmig

Honorary Master
I guess you could say I spent the past year studying AI ans social media and the effects on psychology and today in the shower I think found the perfect sentence to some it all up.

"In real life people program AI, on social media AI programs people"

satanboy

Psychonaut seven
meh

'We don't need a machine for being confused. We're entirely capable of confusin' ourselves. It is a human achievement, confusion ....' - Terry Pratchett

ArtyLoop

Expert Member
Dear OP... I think you have it wrong.
Social Media- the perfect invention for those little moppets* that are raised with much dry nursing and being groomed to be a special snowflake.

* :D :D :D Been dying to use that word

phaktza

Executive Member
Dear OP... I think you have it wrong.
Social Media- the perfect invention for those little moppets* that are raised with much dry nursing and being groomed to be a special snowflake.

* :D:D:D Been dying to use that word
True that.

What happens to this lot when the last Boomer and the last Xer are dead?

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
What I have found is that you can use social media platforms to get people to do things they would never do before. In some cases it does not even take a lot of social engineering, you can have results within days. Quite an interesting exercise.

mmmig

Honorary Master
What I have found is that you can use social media platforms to get people to do things they would never do before. In some cases it does not even take a lot of social engineering, you can have results within days. Quite an interesting exercise.
Instagram and a pimp who gets a girl addicted to crack in order to get her to pull tricks for him are similar than most realise

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Well yeah, there is that. But I'm not really into the whole pimp life.

If you take people that are more unlikely to do something you suggest and you manage to coax them into doing it, perhaps even enjoying it, that is somewhat satisfying. I think mostly because of the fact that you altered someone's behavior and therein lies a sense of control or power over others. It's a primitive human trait.

To my surprise a friend of mine from the UK recently used fiverr to do just such a thing, although that platform leans towards the kind of thing he wanted done so it's not much a social challenge really.

ArtyLoop

Expert Member
Social engineering playground yes...

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Social engineering playground yes...
Not that it was designed with that purpose in mind, but being a social network it lends itself towards all sorts of social experiences. It is there to allow people to fulfill basic human needs, such as staying in touch with each other, yet I do occasionally enjoy using it for other needs.

mmmig

Honorary Master
Not that it was designed with that purpose in mind, but being a social network it lends itself towards all sorts of social experiences. It is there to allow people to fulfill basic human needs, such as staying in touch with each other, yet I do occasionally enjoy using it for other needs.
Where the problem lies is the algorithmic manipulation of people, you got the people hooked via the dopamine kick they get when receiving feedback such as likes, what the algorithm does then is identify what type content people tend to keep people on platform then slowly use positive reinforcement to manipulate users to start posting more of that type content.

mmmig

Honorary Master
Where the problem lies is the algorithmic manipulation of people, you got the people hooked via the dopamine kick they get when receiving feedback such as likes, what the algorithm does then is identify what type content people tend to keep people on platform then slowly use positive reinforcement to manipulate users to start posting more of that type content.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
That is the design of the platform, it is how it draws people to it. If you simply use the platform to reach real people you can devise your own tactics to get them do to whatever is your fancy without the mechanics of the platform. It is a means to an end.