The DoC's overhaul call déjà vu

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Great to see CEOs saying what needs to be said - well done Tim!

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
I don't take it with a pinch of salt... I think it's blatant crap.

siraman

Expert Member
Well said Tim.Now I know there's never a perfect model, especially with communication networks,but.....Can we not Copy and Paste an efficient and working well model.:D

grok

Honorary Master
That pinch of salt would have been so much easier to take if the DoC's ineptitude wasn't costing us so much, in Rand value and competitiveness.

fdaniels

Great to see CEOs saying what needs to be said - well done Tim!

100% I also enjoy it when CEOs make such bold statements. Government like to make outrageous claims that gets people excited but then never do what they promise. Now, if only the people that vote would realise this

dominic

Legal Expert: Telecoms
my impression is that the DoC is genuinely attempting to turn things around but the point about them being surrounded, inflitrated and out-gunned by the incumbents (and a future incumbent) is spot on - there seems to be a lack of appreciation that the incumbents are only on Govt's side to the extent that it profits them and maintains their ability to price-gouge South Africa (75c an SMS anyone?)

Techno Farmer

@FDANIEL: People that vote will never change their vote because of the past. Their thinking is rather slow progress, or even regression than oppression. So you can throw that idea out the window

Last edited:

j4ck455

Executive Member
The minister is probably too thick to realise that the sentiments expressed by Tim Wyatt Gunning are shared by most other ISPs and just about anyone in SA that would prefer to pay much less for telecommunications.

I would not be surprised if the minister has interpreted this as an attack on her personally and is in her mansion dreaming up ways of blacklisting WA in the same ways that old Poison Ivy blacklisted journalists etc that she did not like.

antowan

Honorary Master
The short and only answer to the slow change is simple... Vested interests of politicians.

j4ck455

Executive Member
Purely based on the news coverage (MyBB and others) of this waste of time colloquium it seems like ICASA either did not attend or was too busy stuffing its face with food to participate in any meaningful way.

In one article the minister is paraphrased as having said that this colloquium has delayed getting spectrum allocation finalised and she then dreams up all sorts of excuses to justify why the DoC has not accomplished anything worth mentioning in the last decade.

It seems the DoC has decided to set itself a white paper deadline of December 2013 and then wants to change legislation in 2014 :rolleyes:

ICT companies need to follow WA's example here and start publicly criticising the DoC and ICASA. Constant pressure is needed from ICT companies to get the DoC to sell off the shares it controls in the incumbents.

If publicly shaming the DoC and ICASA does not translate into action, the public criticism should make it easier to draw attention to and workaround the DoC's and ICASA's hurdles.

j4ck455

Executive Member
You say they have not? :confused:

I'm sure the DoC and ICASA are criticised in private for their inaction and creating confusion in the ICT sector by chopping and changing "policy" and stalling all the time.

At most there is an occasional public moan about spectrum but not a full out knock out punch in public like that thrown by Tim Wyatt Gunning, what he did was to tell the minister to her face at an event her department is paying for, that the DoC is full of BS and cannot be taken seriously by the ICT sector until the talk stops and the action materialises. The same applies to AKC who is also full of BS and no action.

jikajoe1

I think the problem with IT issues not receiving priority they deserve ,its that politicians don't see any link between their popularity or the mileage for them getting votes and IT. They will keep putting it off ,and besides they don't understand IT issues and the impact they have on the economy.